Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

They were young ladies living in California, unless there is a mystery of which I am unaware.

Girls Together Outrageously... proto-type feminists. Important to remember how much the introduction of The Pill and the explosion of Elvis, the Beatles, and rock in general sexually liberated young ladies, then.

Still a sticky subject, how much sexuality a girl or woman may express without being labelled a slut, a ho, a bimbo, etc... never much question when it's men, though.

Partly, society's morals never caught up to how much birth control liberated women physically.

Girls Together Outrageously... proto-type feminists. Important to remember how much the introduction of The Pill and the explosion of Elvis, the Beatles, and rock in general sexually liberated young ladies, then.

Still a sticky subject, how much sexuality a girl or woman may express without being labelled a slut, a ho, a bimbo, etc... never much question when it's men, though.

Partly, society's morals never caught up to how much birth control liberated women physically.

I think Lori was a minor and not a GTO member. Exposure of a minor either benefits the minor or it does not. If not then boundaries are very important. How did any of this exposure help her career?

Edited by eternal light

I personally think that a lot of people are still misunderstanding him.

He is still on good terms with his true partners in his life, not groupies.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...ock-557876.html

Jimmy Page: The godfather of rock

Friday, 27 August 2004

Despite having five children from three different relationships, including three with his current partner, Jimena, he tries to fulfil his paternal duties to all of them. Last year he organised his hectic schedule, mastering and promoting Led Zeppelin's live DVD and CD, to ensure he did not miss his teenage son James's high school graduation in Florida. "Every Christmas we are all together, all the mums and all the children," he smiles. "We are a close-knit family."

It sounds a far cry from the Led Zep days of debauchery, but Page stubbornly (and somewhat implausibly) insists that, despite the band's drug-crazed hell-raising and trail-blazing around the globe in the 1970s - when they were without doubt the biggest band in the world - they were all "family men" at heart. It is this, he claims, that kept them together from their formation in London in 1968 to the death of their drummer, John Bonham, in 1980. "The four members of Led Zeppelin were very different characters in their lifestyles, and that's what made them tick. Two lived in the South and two lived in the Midlands and, apart from when we got together to do rehearsals and write and record, we were all family men with separate lives. Yet when the four members bonded together musically, it brought out this different, fifth, element."

I think Lori was a minor and not a GTO member. Exposure of a minor either benefits the minor or it does not. If not then boundaries are very important. How did any of this exposure help her career?

Yes, I think you're correct on both counts.

Don't think it did help her "career," such as it was, did it? She was a model, and I do think she was influenced by and posed in the mode of the GTOs - who then went on to be less than kind to her, if I'm not mistaken.

Seems like the detour into being a Band Aid derailed her from that career, for sure. Maybe it's a good thing; she didn't remain a young woman exploited for her looks and her history.

Her mother may have had her hands full, but... to let her daughter get into that scene at that age always struck me as terribly irresponsible, and probably self-serving, no matter how you slice it. She was the number one person who should've set boundaries, and seems to have set none at all, instead; everything else flows from that.

Why she didn't or couldn't is a mystery we'll never solve...

111568_large.jpg

For instance, this is at the launch of Scarlet's photography exhibition 'Your Child' at The Royal Albert Hall, central London. England, 10 September 2007.

After about a month, Jimmy and Charlotte welcomed their first grandchild 'Martha Alice'.(Scarlet's first child)

I'm very glad that they have a happy life.

Yes, I think you're correct on both counts.

Don't think it did help her "career," such as it was, did it? She was a model, and I do think she was influenced by and posed in the mode of the GTOs - who then went on to be less than kind to her, if I'm not mistaken.

Seems like the detour into being a Band Aid derailed her from that career, for sure. Maybe it's a good thing; she didn't remain a young woman exploited for her looks and her history.

Her mother may have had her hands full, but... to let her daughter get into that scene at that age always struck me as terribly irresponsible, and probably self-serving, no matter how you slice it. She was the number one person who should've set boundaries, and seems to have set none at all, instead; everything else flows from that.

Why she didn't or couldn't is a mystery we'll never solve...

Yes, you're right, it is a mystery. I wonder what would have happened if she'd had someone capable guiding her at the time.

Edited by eternal light

Jimmy apparently knew Lori. I guess it's just another mystery.

I want to overlook band member's faults and debaucheries in their young days.

They admit that they had gone mad in those days.

However I personally have the sympathy mind in Lori very much.

She was a very poor girl.

Edited by Alice75

You mean I missed the second show ? :unsure:

Apologies for the typographic error. Just one show at Pontiac Silverdome, on 4/30/77.

They took a chartered bus to the Silverdome from Detroit Metropolitan Airport, having declined the venue's offer to transport them directly to the site using helicopters. So

they arrived late - at 9:10pm - and the concert ran from 9:30pm - 1am, to include a second encore lasting three minutes.

I saw Lori with a baby in a buggy at a show in LA in about 1985 but I can't remember whether it was a Firm show or one of Robert's. I do remember being told (not by her) that the baby was Richie Blackmore's , but as I've never had a lot of interest in Lori I never followed up any enquiry into that and have absolutely no idea as to the possibilty of it being true.

Well, Jimmy played The Forum on 3/14/85, and Robert on 6/17/85. I'd be willing to bet

it was at Jimmy's show. The had reunited at the Rainbow and gone back to his hotel room for a very candid, cordial conversation when he was in town with the ARMS tour the first week of December 1983. I imagine the '85 gig was an opportunity to catch up on everything since their previous get together. I could be mistaken.

I really think (pure conjecture but seems common sense to me) that political soft shoeing had to be going on with cops, DAs, and Graham and company, too... who knew it sadly wouldn't be necessary for entirely different reasons.

On February 16, 1978 the cases against Bonham, Grant, Bindon and Cole were heard…all incurred suspended sentences and fines. So far as I know, Bonham and Bindon never set foot on U.S. soil again following the cancellation of all remaining dates in 1977. An

attorney served as their representative in court.

All the info that you would care to know on Lori Mattix, alias Lori Maddox, alias Lori Lightning is on this link:

familyzepp.piczo.com/?g=28440157&cr=3

note: I hope this link works. I am not familiar with how to post links on this site. If it doesn't work, go to familyzepp.piczo.com and you should find it.

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

Ok I've got a question here, I know Jimmy and Robert went to Malibu after the car accident in 75, when did they leave England and how long did they stay there?

Adding to Meg's input, perhaps the first confirmed public appearance of Jimmy and Robert in the United States occured on 9/14/75, when they attended the Renaissance Pleasure Faire in Novato, CA, about 30 miles North of San Francisco.

Jimmy briefly returned to England to attend Melody Maker Poll Awards with Scarlet on 9/24/75...John Bonham also attended…they accepted 7 awards on behalf of the group.

Page and Plant were then joined by Bonham and Jones for three weeks of on and off rehearsal sessions for the new album at Studio Instrument Rentals (SIR) Studios located at 6465 Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles.

Led Zeppelin attended Donovan's show in Santa Monica (Sept '75?) and met up with Bad Company's Paul Rodgers & Boz Burrell who came over to lend moral support. Jimmy

also Page checked out Michael Des Barres' band Detective; a deal was soon arranged for them to sign to Swan Song Records.

The sessions at S.I.R. Studio continued through baseball's 1975 World Series (Boston vs. Cincinnati) in October.

Note Robert had grown impatient with the long drive from their rented Malibu Beach colony houses to the studio and checked into a hotel instead (probably one located

on the Sunset Strip).

Led Zeppelin's tax exile status obligated them to depart the USA. Sessions for their

'Presence' album began 11/9/75 in Munich, Germany at Musicland Studios, which was

located in the basement of the Arabella Hotel. Studio sessions were completed the

day before Thanksgiving '75, and consequently "Thanksgiving" was suggested as a possible title for the new album.

Well, Jimmy played The Forum on 3/14/85, and Robert on 6/17/85. I'd be willing to bet

it was at Jimmy's show. The had reunited at the Rainbow and gone back to his hotel room for a very candid, cordial conversation when he was in town with the ARMS tour the first week of December 1983. I imagine the '85 gig was an opportunity to catch up on everything since their previous get together. I could be mistaken.

I'm sure that was after Charlotte had left Old Mill House.

Jimmy held a gorgeous birthday party for her in 1982.

Alan White testified it in interview.(it's about XYZ era)

A lot of musicians attended at the party.(including Eric Clapton)

Why did she leave their house? Because of Jimmy's drug addiction?

I heard she moved in another house in Windsor in 1982 or1983.

http://nfte.org/interviews/AW247.html

I'm sure that was after Charlotte had left Old Mill House.

Jimmy held a gorgeous birthday party for her in 1982.

Alan White testified it in interview.(it's about XYZ era)

http://nfte.org/interviews/AW247.html

I believe the birthday party for Charlotte to which Alan is referring is the one Jimmy hosted at Old Mill House on 9/20/80.

"XYZ" sessions at Jimmy's Sol Studio in nearby Cookham with Alan White & Chris Squire of Yes began 2/28/81 but didn't last long. About seven new tracks were written and recorded. Jimmy later used some of Chris' ideas from those sessions for The Firm.

Edit: Typo corrected.

Edited by SteveAJones

I believe the birthday party for Charlotte to which Alan is referring is the one Jimmy hosted at Old Mill House on 9/12/80.

"XYZ" sessions at Jimmy's Sol Studio in nearby Cookham with Alan White & Chris Squire of Yes began 2/28/81 but didn't last long. About seven new tracks were written and recorded. Jimmy later used some of Chris' ideas from those sessions for The Firm.

No,Steve. Jimmy had birthday parties for her every year.

He held it in 1982 too. And her birthday is 20th September.

Jimmy and Charlotte went to the Swan Song office in May 1982 together.

At that time, he received the interview of the music magazine of Japan.

They were at least together in around autumn in 1982. There was a witness.

Anyway what I really want to know about Jimmy is never understood. (Though his debauchery or something are easily understood)

I think it is because of the most important for Jimmy perhaps.

Information that we obtain for him might be not so important for him.

I think he is a really mysterious person.

Edited by Alice75

No,Steve. Jimmy had birthday parties for her every year.

He held it in 1982 too. And her birthday is 20th September.

Yes, I should have typed 9/20/80, which was a Saturday. Fatigue and distractions!

Anyway, I suppose Alan could be discussing her birthday party in '82, but if so that is almost a year and a half after the brief XYZ sessions.

Do you have any further details about the press interview at Swan Song in May '82?

I do not have this documented in my notes, nor do I show any Japanese press coverage

at all for 1982. I know the 'Death Wish II' soundtrack was receiving reviews around this

time, and there was a single from it released in Japan.

Edited by SteveAJones

Yes, I should have typed 9/20/80, which was a Saturday. Fatigue and distractions!

Anyway, I suppose Alan could be discussing her birthday party in '82, but if so that is almost a year and a half after the brief XYZ sessions.

But Alan said

That's a famous party where there was a whole tent set up with all these musicians and amps and nobody could find any drumsticks! Jimmy Page and me were crawling through the Range Rover, I said I'm sure there's a pair here somewhere! Jim Capaldi, Simon Kirke, there was like six or seven drummers, and nobody had any drumsticks in the whole house, and nobody could play, so we never played!

Jimmy seemed to try to find a drummer to me.

But Alan said

That's a famous party where there was a whole tent set up with all these musicians and amps and nobody could find any drumsticks! Jimmy Page and me were crawling through the Range Rover, I said I'm sure there's a pair here somewhere! Jim Capaldi, Simon Kirke, there was like six or seven drummers, and nobody had any drumsticks in the whole house, and nobody could play, so we never played!

Jimmy seemed to try to find a drummer to me.

Good point. Jimmy was rumored to have been working with Jim Capaldi in Summer '81 but I've never seen or heard any conclusive proof.

Do you have any further details about the press interview at Swan Song in May '82?

I do not have this documented in my notes, nor do I show any Japanese press coverage

at all for 1982. I know the 'Death Wish II' soundtrack was receiving reviews around this

time, and there was a single from it released in Japan.

Though it is right now impossible, I'll look for it.

By the way,the photograph of Jimmy below was taken at that time