April 8. Total Eclipse of the Sun

Much of the US will see this event, I am lucky enough to be in the path of totality.  Some will only see partial depending on where you are.  You may not have to drive far?  Buffalo is supposed to be in th we path around 315 pm.  Rochester, where I am , minutes after.  Several planets should be visible during this.  A comet will also pass the Earth sometime in April , there are several shows on YouTube about these astronomical events that are coming.

19 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Much of the US will see this event, I am lucky enough to be in the path of totality.  Some will only see partial depending on where you are.  You may not have to drive far?  Buffalo is supposed to be in th we path around 315 pm.  Rochester, where I am , minutes after.  Several planets should be visible during this.  A comet will also pass the Earth sometime in April , there are several shows on YouTube about these astronomical events that are coming.

Just keep your fingers crossed you're not clouded out.

1 hour ago, JTM said:

Just keep your fingers crossed you're not clouded out.

Yes indeed, especially here.  I studied Astronomy and I did get an A for the class, so I have a little more than a layman’s understanding of it.  I have not been up to speed on Betelgeuse, and the estimate of its becoming a super nova?

On 3/1/2024 at 12:00 PM, paul carruthers said:

I'm glad my new glasses are arriving well in advance of this. I would love to spot a planet or two.... :)

On 3/3/2024 at 10:48 PM, redrum said:

I got a pair of the glasses last year. Most likely it will be overcast here in the northwest. 😟

Neither of you are anywhere close to the Zone of Totality, so I doubt you need glasses. Only around 47 million Americans will see the Total Eclipse. So don't fall for the hysteria about stocking up on batteries and water and toilet paper that the media foists on the gullible public time and time again.

960x0.png.2dbf7294dc73f7c01e8793ecb23746e5.png

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2024 at 6:00 PM, SuperDave said:

What kind of glasses are these? Will sunglasses do or perhaps they aren't strong enough?

NO THEY WONT DO   And MAKE SURE TO PROTECT YOUR EYES.  ITS NO JOKE.   Only safe time is the 4 minutes that the Sun is TOTALLY COVERED BY THE MOON.   That is not much.  that is the highlight of the event BUT, DANGEROUS AS HELL TO LOOK DURING PARTIAL.  NEED THOSE GLASS'S.  MANY LIBRARIES ARE GIVING THEM OUT. Sure they rae online, we got ours that way.  We are right in the path of the total eclipse.  Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse are all in it. I am in the Rochester area.  About 25 miles SE.  I am just hoping that we do not get  cloudy day.  That would suck.

They are closing schools and many business's

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

12 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

NO THEY WONT DO   And MAKE SURE TO PROTECT YOUR EYES.  ITS NO JOKE.   Only safe time is the 4 minutes that the Sun is TOTALLY COVERED BY THE MOON.   That is not much.  that is the highlight of the event BUT, DANGEROUS AS HELL TO LOOK DURING PARTIAL.  NEED THOSE GLASS'S.  MANY LIBRARIES ARE GIVING THEM OUT. Sure they rae online, we got ours that way.  We are right in the path of the total eclipse.  Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse are all in it. I am in the Rochester area.  About 25 miles SE.  I am just hoping that we do not get  cloudy day.  That would suck.

They are closing schools and many business's

I got some UV glasses on Amazon that are safe for the eclipse. Wish we were having a total eclipse in my area, but no such luck. It will be about 91-2 percent, which isn't bad. Interesting fact is that temperature will drop about 10 degrees during this.

15 hours ago, SuperDave said:

I got some UV glasses on Amazon that are safe for the eclipse. Wish we were having a total eclipse in my area, but no such luck. It will be about 91-2 percent, which isn't bad. Interesting fact is that temperature will drop about 10 degrees during this.

They say birds and wildlife will be confused 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SuperDave said:

I can imagine they will be.

Your joking right?  The birds will think its night time for the 4 minutes of darkness.  Other animals may be confused by it also.  Im going to try and film some of it for this project that wants people to send in photos and such.  But Im not sure what effect it would have on a cell phone camera or any camera?  I am just hoping, praying that we get a clear day.  Rochester sucks.  I took Astronomy in 96, the year a comet ran and you could see it with the naked eye and very well with binoculars.  The teacher said that its a bad place to watch the stars and such.  Rochester.  So hoping for a clear sky that day.

3:20 PM mid day is the time we will have the total eclipse here in Rochester.

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Posted (edited)

4 minutes and 28 seconds of totality!  At 3:20 pm in Rochester NY (where I am), Buffalo and Syracuse also.  Does anyone have any info on doing a video with a cell?  I mean once the moon first starts to cover the sun?  I mean, maybe a stupid question but if it can hurt your eyes can it damage your camera lens?

Crowds expected, Niagara Falls will be nuts

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good here in upstate NY.   Sky is clear but for a few scattered clouds that really wont matter if all remains the same.  Maybe the Great Gig In The Sky is the song of today? At least the album is the right one.

Just pulled in to Finlay, Ohio.  I got my hotel room for tonight with an early check-in.  Its Cracker Barrel and a nap before the eclipse.  I'll be traveling 15 miles SE to get to totality, and the sky is clearing nicely. Saw the 2017 eclipse in Nebraska, and not a chance I would miss this one. 

1 hour ago, Bong-Man said:

Just pulled in to Finlay, Ohio.  I got my hotel room for tonight with an early check-in.  Its Cracker Barrel and a nap before the eclipse.  I'll be traveling 15 miles SE to get to totality, and the sky is clearing nicely. Saw the 2017 eclipse in Nebraska, and not a chance I would miss this one. 

Very cool....and best of luck to ya!  A co-worker here in Colorado drove down to Texas over the weekend....she's screwed!  Personally, it doesn't really interest me..and I have a degree in geology!  But after chatting with another co-worker that went to Nebraska in 2017 and looking at his video, I'm interested.  There's a total event in Spain in 2026 AND 2027!  I might try that!   

2 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Have fun Bonger.  I’m right In the middle of it.  Buffalo will get worse clouds than us so the I-90 will be heavy traffic