page vs iommi!

slash123

who do you think would win between jimi page and tony iommi? well i think page but it's not up to me it's up to you guys let me know!!! B)B)

I've never heard jimi page play. I don't know who would win because there was no stated form of contest.

• 4 months later...

Can't compare the two they have 2 different styles. I think Jimmy has showed more variety in his playing over the years and Tony has stayed true to his Heavy Metal genre.

Both are accomplished players but I like Jimmy's roundness as a player more than Tony's

RjK

Can't compare the two they have 2 different styles. I think Jimmy has showed more variety in his playing over the years and Tony has stayed true to his Heavy Metal genre.

Both are accomplished players but I like Jimmy's roundness as a player more than Tony's

RjK

This is a really stupid thread; two completely different guitarist, but page is way better :)

Jimmy Page hands down. Iommi can only play power chords because he has missing fingers.

In all fairness, Iommi has done more with his severed fingers than the majority of wanna-be guitarists. Tony is a magnificent lead guitarist who overcame horrible adversity and still ranks among the best of players. Ironically, I play in two bands. A Zep band, and a Sabbath band. Have done so for 20 years. To me Page is more of a musical explorer, but Tony is not to be cast aside so flippantly. The man can burn the frets off an SG as well as anyone, regardless of how many fingers.

"only plays power chords"??? No offence, but have you ever listened to a Sabbath album? Yeah, it's power chord driven, but the guy is a monster lead player. Seriously!

Oh, and for the record, my vote goes to Page. Not for technique (he'd be the first to dismiss that), but for feel and taste.

What next? Laguna Sunrise vs. Bron-Y-Aur? :rolleyes:

Both have done more for guitar in Heavy Rock than any other two forces (Blackmore could possibly be included as well). They defined (set up the blue print, so to speak). :)

JP is my personal favorite of the two, but I love Iommi's work, too.

Bron-Y-Aur, definitely. :lol:

R B)

who do you think would win between jimi page and tony iommi? well i think page but it's not up to me it's up to you guys let me know!!! B)B)

These two guitarists are not comparable because their styles are completely different. Iommi has a disability and can't razzle dazzle quickly over the frets of the guitar like Pagey but he hides it well with the metal riffs, Pagey's only disability is Heroin (Just kidding) but he still kicks ass by moving his finger's QUICKLY all over the frets of the guitar and is brilliant with riffs. I think by reading this, EVERYONE, including yourself "slash123," should know who the winner would be. I mean no disrespect to Tony Iommi, I admire and respect Tony Iommi but Pagey would win easily. ROCK ON!

Jimmy would win hands down. but what about Jimmy Versus Jimi (Hendrix)

That would really be a hard one. It could really go either way and thats how close it would be. Me personally, I would choose Hendrix only because he revolutionized the guitar and Pagey in a very very very close second. How bout if these two guitar Gods were to challenge Peter Green in his prime, now that would be a good one. Who do you think would win? I would like to hear all of your thoughts on this one. ROCK ON!

I believe Jimmy is the winner but I would pay quite a bit for front row center for this battle .In Tony's defence if You have listened to any early Sabbath Material You would be amazed at how good He is.

I have had the oppurtunity to see Him live several times and would do so again also met Him once in Atlanta back in 99 . He is not as good as Jimmy but there are not many that can touch His ability His originality listen to the song The Wizard from the album Black Sabbath also My favorite song Sabbath does Warning from the same album . They have many songs from the Ozzy Era that I think Rock but these are My two personal favorites.But He does have wax fingertips and that does give Him such a advantage over all the other poor little Guitarist out there :D:D Hey they could chop there fingers off and learn how to play all over again like Tony did and then have the same oppurtunity .

My hat is off to both of these fine Guitarist Jimmy is the clear winner but Tony has overcame quite a bit to get where He is today. :D

Iommi has a disability and can't razzle dazzle quickly over the frets of the guitar

I respectfully have to disagree. As a musician of over 30 who just happens to juggle time between a Zeppelin and a Sabbath band, I can say Imommi's "disability" has hardly impaired him. He doesn't "hide" in the riffs. That's just his modus operandi. The guy's a first rate lead shredder. His trills are downright scary! He's certainly different than Page, but he DEFINITELY "razzle dazzles quickly over the frets"! He's one slippery mutha! :D

Archived