Pet Peeves

Hotplant

Collectively, I agree. I can't stand society, but I love individuals one-on-one. I don't like it when people have to adjust their behavior to suit those around them, and that becomes more evident in large gatherings. For someone to be able to let their hair down often requires them to be alone or around a minimum of people.

I can't agree with dis-liking people...

I'm only pro-society for reasons best explained in John Locke's "Two Treatises of Government ".

In the first treatise, Locke explains that man is initially free in a "state of nature", having just himself to answer too, as there is no monarch or supreme ruler over the whole world. Man in a state of nature is limitlessly free to do as he pleases. He is not part of any organization/society/country/laws/etc. and is governed by himself only...

He then goes on to say in the second treatises why it might not be so bad to be part of society:

"IF man in the state of nature be so free, as has been said; if he be absolute lord of his own person and possessions, equal to the greatest, and subject to no body, why will he part with his freedom? Why will he give up this empire, and subject himself to the dominion and control of any other power? To which it is obvious to answer, that though in the state of nature he hath such a right, yet the enjoyment of it is very uncertain, and constantly exposed to the invasion of others: for all being kings as much as he, every man his equal, and the greater part no strict observers of equity and justice, the enjoyment of the property he has in this state is very unsafe, very unsecure. This makes him willing to quit a condition, which, however free, is full of fears and continual dangers: and it is not without reason, that he seeks out, and is willing to join in society with others, who are already united, or have a mind to unite, for the mutual preservation of their lives, liberties and estates, which I call by the general name, property." (2nd Tr., §123)

Basically, man sacrafices some of his freedoms in order to protect and further himself - give himself more of a say in things, like the "majority rules" type of gig. For example, say you didn't vote for Bush... well, the majority of America did, therefore, if you are to reap the benefits brought by being an American, you must live with this. Your only alternative is to change citizenships to a group who's goals/opinions better reflect your own. You risk no longer being protected by the laws United States, etc. On another hand, if you started up your own country, with you and 6 friends, you could answer to yourself only, but would have no way of trading, making an economy, and so on...

So, though I don't necessarily like everything about society, I don't like fending for myself, by myself, against the world either...

If you don't like "people", by all means, start your own society... but remember "people in general" are the ones who protect you.

Any time you go to the emergency there is at least a charge of $100. She has better ins than I do though. I have mediscare. It sucks.

What??? :o:blink: Oooh man, that's rough! Ok, some people need to go often due to chronic illnesses. That adds up. Others rarely need it, but when they do and don't have the money, do hospitals not provide health care? I mean, that's a basic right, right? To say nothing of the Hippocratic Oath...

Yea, I'd toss it.

Every time I hear stories like YC's I'm grateful to Tommy Douglas. Say what you want about universal health care, it's imperfect, but I've seen and experienced its benefits.

What??? :o:blink: Oooh man, that's rough! Ok, some people need to go often due to chronic illnesses. That adds up. Others rarely need it, but when they do and don't have the money, do hospitals not provide health care? I mean, that's a basic right, right? To say nothing of the Hippocratic Oath...

Every time I hear stories like YC's I'm grateful to Tommy Douglas. Say what you want about universal health care, it's imperfect, but I've seen and experienced its benefits.

You can't get turned down in an emergency room in the US. They will however bill you later.

And I meant,

Toss the bill !!! :lol:

You can't get turned down in an emergency room in the US. They will however bill you later.

And I meant,

Toss the bill !!! :lol:

I believe you can....

For SURE, they can ignore you long enough that you die, as happened to a poor, elderly man just over a week ago.

:(

I know, it's quite sad. If you have good insurance get down on your knees and thank whomever you thank things for :)

But whoever mentioned tossing the bills? There is a point there, you can't be that drastic but if you do come out of a hospital with bills and no insurance, pay them $5 a month if you can! They can't come after you if you are at least attempting to take care of it.

^ If that works for you, fine.

I live by other treatises'.

Care to elaborate? Moreover, care to point out what you think is flawed in Locke's arguments?

It wouldn't be Hobbes would it? Men are initially at war with one-another?

My high school had ethnic clubs as well, and they aren't racist. You didn't even have to be that ethnicity to join. Every year our school put on International Fest and those ethnic clubs would put on performances. The Irish Club would do the Reel, the Italian Club would do the Tarantella, the Asian-Filipino Club would do traditional Filipino dances, the list goes on. The sole purpose for the clubs to exist in the first place, were to 1) prepare foods, dances and exhibits for International Fest and 2) to go on field trips or other such school-sponsored events that highlighted that cultural group. My school was big on highlighting and celebrating diversity. I'm not Irish in anyway, but I was a member of the Irish Club all 4 years, because my two closest friends WERE Irish and I liked being a part of their performances every year. No big deal.

Why don't you find out the purpose of these clubs instead of assuming there's some kind of racist connotation to them.

I KNOW ethnic clubs aren't racist - I have nothing against the various and sundry clubs centered around different cultures of the world. They have a point: to celebrate and learn more about a specific culture. That's awesome and I'm glad we have them all. Actually, I've kind of wanted to join the Thai Club because I think their culture is really interesting, and it doesn't really get a lot of exposure through other outlets. Anyway... On the other hand, what is the point of the Asian Club? The countries of Asia don't share a common language, cuisine, customs, art, religion, or any of that good stuff. So what do they talk about? What do they promote? If it's international relations, why not just have an International Relations Club? We could all use to learn about each other. It's obviously not because it's a racial minority; my school is 41% Asian to 28% white. I just don't see what this club is doing that is unique and not covered by other clubs.

I am going to smack that girl.

My friend keeps making 'F' ing, (sorry for the bad language) mistakes

We went out today to see some local art galleries and then we had dinner.

then we had drinks at John Martin (irish bar place thingy)

my friend Ivette invites her boyfri..., one of the guys she talks to on the phone. She also invited one of her close friends ( a guy)

When I saw him, I knew right away there was something familiar about him.

I'll refresh your memory: look at what I quoted.

Stupid People

tell me this doesn't sound crazy

My friend met this guy online at aim chat. They haven't met in person, thankfully. You'll soon see why. He sent her about 12 text messages in one day. One right after the one. I would say 2 to 7 minutes apart. 'I'm leaving for work' 'I'm at work' 'I'm in bathroom' I'm out of the bathroom' (he didn't really say that, but that's basically what it was)

Two weeks go by, my friend tells him she doesn't think it's going to work out.

He starts to cry on the phone, saying he loves her and stuff. (some guys are sensitive, but this is extreme.)

Now for this week. One Wednesday my friend tells the guy she doesn't want to be with him that way. He then sends her a text message saying "Just in case anything happens I took 80,000 (can't remember actual number) milligrams of pills.

Thursday he sends her flowers at work. I asked my friend how he got her work address. Well, she called him from work one day and he put the number on the internet and that is how he got the address. (she works at a K-8 center kindergarten through eight grade)

The part that leaves me confused is, this guy use to be a cop. How in the world can someone who is clearly mentally and emotionally unstable ever become a cop?

Sometimes I just want to smack her.

She decided to give the crazy guy another chance. Then she ask me, 'does he look so bad now.' Not does he seem crazy, does he LOOK bad.

What bothers me is that a) she deliberately lied to me, B) she has insult my intelligence by asking me how is she doing something stupid.

I am officially done with her crap. I no longer want to hear about her guy problems. If she meets a new guy, I don't want to hear about that.

Tonight was the last straw.

my friend Ivette invites her boyfri..., one of the guys she talks to on the phone. She also invited one of her close friends ( a guy)

She decided to give the crazy guy another chance. Then she ask me, 'does he look so bad now.' Not does he seem crazy, does he LOOK bad.

What bothers me is that a) she deliberately lied to me, B) she has insult my intelligence by asking me how is she doing something stupid.

I am officially done with her crap. I no longer want to hear about her guy problems. If she meets a new guy, I don't want to hear about that.

did you hit it?

I was pretty much tricked and talked into doing an angiogram. Had the nuclear stress tests and everything. I was afraid because I learned my real father's father died young of a heart attack. At 37. They kept me overnight and didnt tell me the portion of the bill that medicare doesnt cover. I am still paying the damn thing. It was over $1000 and I now have it down to around $500.

Really YK, it's a good thing you got those tests. Very important for someone in your position. I'm so sorry about the financial issue....just keep sending them a handful of change every month and deligate it to the low priority stack of bills. Whatever you do, please don't slack off on your healthcare because of financial concerns!

Blessings....I hope they find out what is going on with your wife.

Well, she's an idiot. On the other hand, girls who make stupid decisions about men are the chicks who need the most help. And you're being a douche. Maybe she deserves a better friend then you :P

I'm with you on that Patrycja. The feds need to be much tougher with the provincial governments when it comes to the money they transfer to them for health care and there are way too many people on waiting lists because of this but overall, damn rights I'm gratefull for the system that we have. I know that there is great debate in America as to whether or not health care should be considered a right. All I can say to that is, as someone who has never known any different, I'm quite prepared to fight for the system we have. Politically, it becomes necessary to view it as a right. If not, it'll be gone in a heartbeat. I respect our system and no it's not perfect but given that I don't really see a perfect system out there, I'll take the one that provides.

Well, she's an idiot. On the other hand, girls who make stupid decisions about men are the chicks who need the most help. And you're being a douche. Maybe she deserves a better friend then you :P

It's not like she's some teenager, she's a 30 years old married woman. And this isn't the first time she's done something like this.

Everytime something bad happens she tells me "You were right, I should have listened."

I'm getting tired of hearing that.

It's not like she's some teenager, she's a 30 years old married woman. And this isn't the first time she's done something like this.

Everytime something bad happens she tells me "You were right, I should have listened."

Some people thrive on drama. If I were you when she asked for my advice I'd just say "Well, you already know how I feel about these things. These decisions are yours to make" and leave it at that.

If she continuess to try to involve you in the drama just tell her that since you differ in your opinions you'd rather not discuss it. Or...ask her "Why do you think you always put yourself in the middle of these kind of situations?"

Good luck!

Hmm. Ok, relationships are a two-way street, right? If she's pouring all this drama on you, she ought to be there to support you when you have a problem. Also, I don't think complaining ought to be the main activity you're doing as friends. Now, if she's a good friend back to you (even though she's an idiot) and her drama isn't taking up all your time together, I think you should do what Patrycja said and just tell her that you value her friendship, but that she's an adult and has to make her own decisions.

On the other hand, if all she ever does is blabber about her dumb guy problems, and constantly ask your advice and then not follow it (and basically make your life miserable), it sounds like there's not much of a relationship there to save, so you might as well cut her loose and save yourself the grief. Although you might want to wait until she's stopped seeing this guy to break off contact with her, just to make sure he doesn't turn out to be a serial killer or something...

Archived