Pet Peeves

Hotplant

I appreciate the suggestion, but honestly, I think that might cause more trouble. My mom doesn't even know her own cell phone number, so I'm not sure what she'd do if we changed the number they've had for 35 years, lol. Besides, how could I fund my CD collection, if not with illegally obtained credit card numbers? (just kidding!)

That is a good lesson, though. If you're ordering something over the phone, be ABSOLUTELY sure you've got the company you want on the line before you give them your credit card number.

You know you can get a temporary number from the credit card co. and use it once then it's gone. The vendor never gets your real card number and only you and the card co. know the actual number.

Not to mention, you notice who she's had plastic surgery in order to look like? She's nuttier than a fruitcake.

Who?

...and this is "raising them on your own?" Right. As if the State of California and the federal government hasn't already given your dumb ass enough. :blink:

Hell, I wish I could have foodstamps and healthcare. Sure would be a nice supplement to my $11,000 income that I had last year. Then I wouldn't have to spend part of my grocery money on my birth control pills that I have to pay over $50 for because I have no health insurance at my part-time job!

Seriously. I started to add a comment, then I decided that my nasty comment is just stupid to even waste my time on. Like it's going to undo what she's already done, right?

I used to do that, too. Then this happened to me not too long ago:

I held a door open for an older lady at a restaurant. She didn't say thank you, so I said "your welcome." Then she turned around and said this:

"I do not recall asking you to hold the door for me. I never said 'excuse me, sir. Could you please open the door for me? I'm an invalid and utterly incapable of opening the door myself.' So you'll forgive me if I don't thank you, but you did nothing that deserves a thank you." At which point she turned around and walked off.

Now I'm a lot less inclined to hold doors open for anybody, considering...

Yeah...that woman obviously doesn't know what manners are. I don't even know how I could have reacted if someone had done that to me.

Really though. People have NO consideration for one another anymore, at all. I was at Costco with my sister and my baby neice this week, and we were next in line to have our reciept checked. I was holding Jersie, and my sister was holding the giant box of diapers and the other giant box of diaper wipes. This obnoxious woman cuts in front of us, while hollering into her cell phone about this or that, and she went before us! I was completely appalled.

I don't know what's worse, the woman just strolled up along the LINE of people, and she didn't even seem to care that there were other people in line. She was also on her cell phone, which I think is appallingly rude when you are expecting someone in the customer service field to help you. Then she cut in line in front of two women, who had been waiting their fair turn, while holding a lot of things--a small, wiggly baby included, and she didn't even acknowledge that she totally rammed her fat ass into line in front of us! I was quite angry--nothing is more rude, in my opinion.

I said loudly, "nevermind the people who have been fairly waiting their turns! You must think you're more important than others." She didn't even notice. Stupid bitch. :rolleyes:

I think the fact that she didn't even acknowledge us is the part that really got my blood boiling. Like just because you have one thing and I bought two (large) things, you can cut in front of us?

Wait your turn, you dumbass. <_<

I've been tempted to buy one of those airhorns in a can and carry it around with me and when someone does something rude like that, just keep blowing the horn at them. :D

It wouldn't make a difference. They would think that you're the one being rude.

I seriously wonder why people think that they can act like that. I don't even think that we can blame their parents because I've seen many people who I know were raised by decent people act in this way.

I've been tempted to buy one of those airhorns in a can and carry it around with me and when someone does something rude like that, just keep blowing the horn at them. :D

I have a few of those airhorns somewhere. They are left over from when my boys played high school football. Those things are loud.

Their high school went to the state playoff games each year that they were in high school. The air horns are outlawed during the playoff games and I got yelled out for using one the first year.

Their football team had less than 35 players on it each year, including Freshmen. So it was a feat that they consistantly make the state playoffs. Oldest son had 46 in his graduation class in 2006 and the youngest one had 36 in his graduation class in 2007. Their school was a very small and elite high school. 100% of the kids go to college and all get alot of scholarships.

Edited to say that their high school also has great soccer teams. They won the state soccer championship twice in the past 10 years.

Man, I don't even expect people to say "thanks" if you hold the door for them anymore...it's ridiculous. I can't remember the last time I was at any store and the cashier cracked a smile. Oh wait, yes I can, it was at a record store and the guy was English - he'll learn quickly that people around here don't smile. Hope it doesn't bother him as much as it aggravates me.

Oh well, I just keep smiling and saying "please" and "thank you" even if I do seem like a psycho manic on uppers to this bunch of zombies around here. As Hank Jr. put it, "We say grace, and we say ma'am; if you ain't into that, we don't give a damn."

Peeve: we had 8" of snow on the ground a week ago today. Last night it was over 80 degrees in our house and I had to turn on the AC. Still had flannel sheets; I was miserable and got very little sleep. :angry:

Cook Naked! Just don't fry any bacon :o:lol:

When I was a kid my Mother was frying some eggs and the grease popped and got me right in the eye.

I also got a piece of tobacco in my eye by fooling around with the ash tray.

:boohoo:

That boy don't never learn.

:D:D

Neo Archeologists. They're freaking idiots. <_<

Neo Archaeologists? Is that the same thing as processual archaeologists? I'm looking on Wikipedia here, hehe. If so, would that make you a post-processual archaeologist? I would agree with that, after reading the article. I appreciate that the neo guys tried to make it more scientific, but there's no way you can separate yourself entirely from what you're studying and be completely unbiased. I hope that's what you're talking about! :blush:

Neo Archaeologists? Is that the same thing as processual archaeologists? I'm looking on Wikipedia here, hehe. If so, would that make you a post-processual archaeologist? I would agree with that, after reading the article. I appreciate that the neo guys tried to make it more scientific, but there's no way you can separate yourself entirely from what you're studying and be completely unbiased. I hope that's what you're talking about! :blush:

I'm talking about the ones who ignore evidence and claim aliens did everything. :slapface:

Peeve: we had 8" of snow on the ground a week ago today. Last night it was over 80 degrees in our house and I had to turn on the AC. Still had flannel sheets; I was miserable and got very little sleep. :angry:

Our weather hasn't been that bad, but it's been driving me flipping crazy. Ugh.

Yesterday, when I got dressed, I put on my sandals. It was sunny and clear, still kind of cold, but I thought, "what the hell?" and I put on my sandals.

I went to a friend's house and stayed for about an hour and a half. Within that hour and a half, it started to snow. When I left, I was out on the street, sweeping about three inches of snoww off my car--in Chaco Sandals, for God's sake!

It accumulated about 3-3 1/2 inches, and within three hours or so, most of it was melted off. There's still a little, teeny bit around here, like in the shade, but it's almost all melted now.

Man, I don't even expect people to say "thanks" if you hold the door for them anymore...it's ridiculous. I can't remember the last time I was at any store and the cashier cracked a smile. Oh wait, yes I can, it was at a record store and the guy was English - he'll learn quickly that people around here don't smile. Hope it doesn't bother him as much as it aggravates me.

Oh well, I just keep smiling and saying "please" and "thank you" even if I do seem like a psycho manic on uppers to this bunch of zombies around here. As Hank Jr. put it, "We say grace, and we say ma'am; if you ain't into that, we don't give a damn."

I've been encountering more politeness in costumer service especially since being back in Texas...

Up in NYC, I started saying "Pardon Me" instead of "excuse me"...it almost would knock people of their feet. Or just being overly polite would just kill some.

I've been encountering more politeness in costumer service especially since being back in Texas...

Up in NYC, I started saying "Pardon Me" instead of "excuse me"...it almost would knock people of their feet. Or just being overly polite would just kill some.

Heh, I bet. When I visited parts of the South and Midwest, I myself was blown away by how polite people were. And you know, it really makes your day that much easier just by smiling at people and them smiling back. It's not a big thing, but it makes a big difference in your general stress level, ya know?

And I swear, Southern California is getting as bad as NYC (not to stereotype or anything, hehe; I'm sure there are polite people in NYC...somewhere). I really don't think people used to be so snippy and anti-social around here when I was a kid; it seems like everybody's just really gotten a major attitude in the last ten years. I don't get it...maybe it's the traffic. :huh:

And I swear, Southern California is getting as bad as NYC (not to stereotype or anything, hehe; I'm sure there are polite people in NYC...somewhere). I really don't think people used to be so snippy and anti-social around here when I was a kid; it seems like everybody's just really gotten a major attitude in the last ten years. I don't get it...maybe it's the traffic. :huh:

Some of California's population is transient. We go through periods of being invaded by large numbers of people from all points. Sometimes it's like having a massive steamroller flatten you. At first you wonder what it is all about, and then it dawns on you; they're in a machine.

I've noticed changes over the years as California has transformed from rural town and country to high density urban sprawl. Time once was when my main concern was rattlesnakes, scorpions, centipedes, coyotes, mountain lions, sharks and stingrays. More lately it's the two-legged predators, especially those behind the wheel of a moving vehicle that I watch.

Some of California's population is transient. We go through periods of being invaded by large numbers of people from all points. Sometimes it's like having a massive steamroller flatten you. At first you wonder what it is all about, and then it dawns on you; they're in a machine.

I've noticed changes over the years as California has transformed from rural town and country to high density urban sprawl. Time once was when my main concern was rattlesnakes, scorpions, centipedes, coyotes, mountain lions, sharks and stingrays. More lately it's the two-legged predators, especially those behind the wheel of a moving vehicle that I watch.

That's true...our population just exploded over the past few years with everybody moving here because of the good economy. Guess that'll slow down now! Hehe, too many darn fureigners who don't respect our laid-back culture. ;)

Apart from everybody moving here from the East Coast, I swear part of it comes from Orange County too, though...everybody I've met from there has been the absolute master of the condescending sneer, and it's infecting us (sorry if you're from OC...I'm sure there must be some normal people there).

Oh yeah, California has gotten so different. I'm only 24, but my god has this city grown since I was a kid. My parents were born here too, and I guess it's gotten just astronomically bigger since they were kids...they can remember when Mission Valley, which has a major freeway through it, two of our biggest malls, and a zillion hotels, was nothing but dairy farmland. Crazy.

That's true...our population just exploded over the past few years with everybody moving here because of the good economy. Guess that'll slow down now! Hehe, too many darn fureigners who don't respect our laid-back culture. ;)

Apart from everybody moving here from the East Coast, I swear part of it comes from Orange County too, though...everybody I've met from there has been the absolute master of the condescending sneer, and it's infecting us (sorry if you're from OC...I'm sure there must be some normal people there).

Oh yeah, California has gotten so different. I'm only 24, but my god has this city grown since I was a kid. My parents were born here too, and I guess it's gotten just astronomically bigger since they were kids...they can remember when Mission Valley, which has a major freeway through it, two of our biggest malls, and a zillion hotels, was nothing but dairy farmland. Crazy.

Yes, I remember the dairy farms. Los Angeles had them, too, but many are gone now. And I recall the 405 freeway when it had only 3 lanes on each side. And there were no toll roads.

What happens is when people move in to California, they evict those who are already here, and they have to move. So a diaspora activates and people move to other counties, not only to San Diego, but also to the north. And some move to Oregon or Nevada.

We experience population pressure from the east coast, south of the border and people wanting to move to a warmer climate from the wintry parts of the world.

The nation's homeless population sometimes moves to California so they can avoid exposure to extreme cold. It's warmer on the streets here than in Chicago. That may help to explain why Skid Row's poverty in Los Angeles never ends. It takes in the homeless from the rest of the nation, not just the locals.

Lately Venice has had a problem with non locals parking in residential areas that were not designed to accommodate the influx.

Also, there are those seeking economic opportunity from the coal mining regions and those who aspire to film careers.

And there is the occasional soul from middle eastern europe dreaming of wreaking havoc on a shopping mall.

Our medicare system attracts wealthy people from Saudi Arabia who don't have to pay for care because they don't have social security numbers where they can be tracked. By the time they are identified as having sufficient income they have already left the airport. Same for an occasional cattle rancher from Mexico, except he probably just drives across the border. They give them 999-99-9999 numbers. Someone did a study on fraud in the system and these were a couple of examples of what they found.

So many people come to California for a variety of reasons. But you are right, people do get snippy here.

Dairy farms in LA, wow! Seems like even the cattle ranches in Riverside are getting more and more crowded in, now. Riverside and San Bernardino are good examples of what you're talking about. There are some major population shifts and diasporas going on there, for sure. Riverside used to be redneck central; now there's gangs from LA running meth out there. I just don't know anymore. :wacko: Oh well, I can't really grudge anybody for wanting to move here, we definitely have good opportunities and nice weather.

Middle Eastern European havoc in shopping malls? Are you thinking of anything in particular? I guess I missed that one.

Dairy farms in LA, wow! Seems like even the cattle ranches in Riverside are getting more and more crowded in, now. Riverside and San Bernardino are good examples of what you're talking about. There are some major population shifts and diasporas going on there, for sure. Riverside used to be redneck central; now there's gangs from LA running meth out there. I just don't know anymore. :wacko: Oh well, I can't really grudge anybody for wanting to move here, we definitely have good opportunities and nice weather.

Middle Eastern European havoc in shopping malls? Are you thinking of anything in particular? I guess I missed that one.

Oh yeah, there was a recent case where a guy went undercover for the feds and found someone who planned to do a nine/eleven, aiming his sight on the shopping malls. People are crazy.

And many of those moving out toward San Bernardino are escaping the inner city from Los Angeles. Then they commute to Orange County on the Metrolink to their jobs. It's insane.

That's not even mentioning the commute on the freeway from Corona into Orange County. It's a parking lot the size of several football fields during rush hour. That's because of the spike in housing costs that occurred a few years back in Orange County, forcing people to move to Corona where it was cheaper to obtain housing. But the jobs were still in Orange County; hence the commute from hell.

Oh yeah, there was a recent case where a guy went undercover for the feds and found someone who planned to do a nine/eleven aiming his sight on the shopping malls. People are crazy.

And many of those moving out toward San Bernardino are escaping the inner city from Los Angeles. Then they commute to Orange County on the Metrolink to their jobs. It's insane. That's not even mentioning the commute on the freeway from Corona into Orange County. It's a parking lot the size of several football fields during rush hour.

Oh no way! Ugh, that's terrible. :( I wonder why didn't I hear about this? I read the newspaper almost every day... I'm glad they caught the guy. Like we don't have enough gang violence already...psychos need not apply.

Oh yeah, the LA/Inland Empire traffic is beyond awful. San Diego's traffic is in no way good, but it pales in comparison to that mess. Incredible.

Archived