The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

Bettman is saying he is chosing Winnipeg over southern Ontario for the Coyotes franchise. I once asked someone where Winnipeg was and he replied "right smack in the middle of God damn nowhere".

Lol. Yeah Winnipeg doesn't look like a whole lot of fun does it . They make some good bread though.

Bettman is saying he is chosing Winnipeg over southern Ontario for the Coyotes franchise. I once asked someone where Winnipeg was and he replied "right smack in the middle of God damn nowhere".

I'd love to see Winnipeg get it's franchise back !!! How ironic would that be . I've also heard rumour that another group of investors want to buy the Trashers and move them to Winnipeg so I guess time will tell. Either way, I think Winnipeg should have a franchise . The one they had should never have left

Dale Hawerchuk and the old Jets. Remember they came back in a series from 3-0 only to lose game 7 if memory serves me right.

Yeah, against the Oilers. They were alway's a solid team and had great fans. They invented the sea of white that has been adopted by so many clubs during the playoffs.

Well if they get the franchise I wonder if they will bring back the old name? Probably not.

I think they would Yukon. I sure see a lot of retro Winnipeg Jets hats and T's around town.

There's no way a team is going back to Winnipeg, they had to leave for a reason. The only other Canadian city I could see getting a hockey team is Hamilton, Ontario. That is, if it doesn't piss off the territorial Leafs fans who think Ontario should have only one team.

There's no way a team is going back to Winnipeg, they had to leave for a reason. The only other Canadian city I could see getting a hockey team is Hamilton, Ontario. That is, if it doesn't piss off the territorial Leafs fans who think Ontario should have only one team.

At the time, they left because the arena they had was not up to Bettmans standards and they couldn't build a new one fast enough for his ajenda. That's since changed. Winnipeg is like any other Canadian city when it comes to hockey. You can't put enough seats in the building to house all the fans who want to go. I personally feel that Winnipeg got royally screwed losing their franchise and to me, a move back there would be about the only smart move Bettman has made since he became the head guy.

I guess the North Stars left Minnesota for a reason too and now they have the Wild. Bettman says it is the top choice, then how can you doubt it? And by the way, the Leafs arent the only team in the area. The Sabres are there too.

I think Bettman is blowing smoke up everybody's asses. He's trying to come across as the saviour when in fact he is nothing more than a puppet. He know's that people in Canada will support the idea of a franchise anywhere in the country. I think he's just trying to play both sides against the middle

Well the Coyotes are obviously going to move. So if not Canada Id say Kansas City. But it hasnt been mentioned this time around. So it looks like Canada. If the US were to get another team I would say KC or maybe the Seattle/Portland area? But it doesnt look like that will happen. They used to mention Saskatoon also. Remember they were talking about the Blues going there?

Saskabush ! Yep, wasn't it Bill Hunter who wanted to put a team there ? I don't have a problem with the league expandiong in the northern USA. My issue is that Bettman is trying to turn the tables on the Hamilton idea by bringing up Winnipeg. Sounds to me that he hopes there will be so much bickering about which city get's the franchise that neither will end up with one. He will then be free to select another city

My local news channel just mentioned Hamilton again. I had a friend tell me today he heard Golisano is moving to Florida and thinks there is rumours of him selling the Sabres. Hell, if he does, I just hope they dont ever leave Buffalo. I dont think a team in Hamilton would have much impact on the Sabres as Rochester and Erie and even Syracuse other surrounding areas draw fans to what is a great hockey town. It just puts fear in me thinking of the Sabres losinig their team. I have heard nothing from news or the Sabres though so I dont think there is much reason for concern in the near future. I havent been to Hamilton in quite a while, dont know if they would rely on Toronto but obviously they would draw big from Toronto. Kind of the equivalent of the New York Islanders, Rangers.

I don't think you have to fear losing the Sabres Yukon. These stories about owners selling up usually ( not alway's ) go hand in hand with the spin that comes from the league office. I can see where your owner may not want Hamilton in the league, that makes sense to me but, rumours of sale are more than likely designed to undermine the whole Hamilton idea. Bettman is trying to gain support and as usual, the snake will do whatever it takes

I guess the North Stars left Minnesota for a reason too and now they have the Wild. Bettman says it is the top choice, then how can you doubt it? And by the way, the Leafs arent the only team in the area. The Sabres are there too.

Buffalo is not in Ontario, is it? I'm talking about Leafs fans in Toronto and in Ontario who think that Ontario should have only one team. I'm sure there are Sabres fans in Toronto the same as I'm sure there are Leafs fans in Buffalo. But the teams aren't in the same market, which is my point.

Thanks to Carolina winning, the Red Wings have home ice throughout the whole playoffs since they now possess the best record of all teams remaning and they are, I believe, the highest seed from both conferences still remaining.

Booyah.

You're very welcome,I told them to lookout for my buddy and faux homey, Electro. ;)

...the giant slayers! Congrats, Rorer. A well-deserved win. One Boston team down, one to go. I'd wish you good luck the rest of the way, but you're up against my horse in the next round.

Thanks Patrycja, what a series that one was.At least we're consistant,eh?

Thomas never should have kicked back that rebound on the winner. Ward outplayed Thomas, but Carolina did not outplay Boston. I will bet that it goes 7 again perhaps against Pittsburgh. The only way Chicago beats Detroit is if Osgood is soft and is off his game. Whoever comes out of the East will have the better goalie but that is about it.

Ok Rorer. Im a genie in a bottle and you can have one of two wishes only. the Cavs win it all or the Canes win it all. But you can only have one. Which would you chose?

I'm happy that you're not a genie.I want my cake and eat it too. :D

Go Canes!!!!! Staal versus Staal should be fun!

Come on now Rorer. Answer the Q. I think Orlando will put up a heck of a fight if not win. Many seem to think Pittsburgh is going to win in hockey. I told them that Carolina has the better goalie.

First of all,I'll eat my hat and your hat if Orlando wins.(plus anyone elses) :D

I told you last week that I'd rather play the Pens and here we are.I'm expecting another fun, nail-biting series!

I want my cake,Yuk! ...at least this side of it.It started with the Tarheels...The Indians are tanking early and god help the Brownies!!!! :slapface:

Pittsburgh got lucky winning that game.Hopefully game two goes our way.

Go Canes!!!

Tough luck Rorer. I had to settle for the highlite package but it looked as though it was a good game.

Staal scores 9 out of 10 times he get's that kind of op. I agree with Yukon, it looked to me he was a little late in seeing the puck

Buffalo is not in Ontario, is it? I'm talking about Leafs fans in Toronto and in Ontario who think that Ontario should have only one team. I'm sure there are Sabres fans in Toronto the same as I'm sure there are Leafs fans in Buffalo. But the teams aren't in the same market, which is my point.

Buffalo is very close to Hamilton though and Buffalo would definately not want a Hamilton team. The Buffalo Sabres get a huge amount of business from Southern Ontario (Toronto, Hamilton, etc) and a team in Hamilton would take a huge chunk out of that.

As far as Ontario i think they will be all for another team because a lot of people can't even go to leaf games because they are always sold out and tickets cost way too much. And they think if the leafs get some competition from another team it will make them try harder to put a decent team on the ice.

Buffalo is very close to Hamilton though and Buffalo would definately not want a Hamilton team. The Buffalo Sabres get a huge amount of business from Southern Ontario (Toronto, Hamilton, etc) and a team in Hamilton would take a huge chunk out of that.

As far as Ontario i think they will be all for another team because a lot of people can't even go to leaf games because they are always sold out and tickets cost way too much. And they think if the leafs get some competition from another team it will make them try harder to put a decent team on the ice.

The Coyotes bankruptcy hearings are happening today. It will be interesting to follow this one. Whoever ends up owning the franchise surely is not going to let Bettman tell him where he can relocate it Unless of course it's one of Bettman's choices as an owner. If it is someone else outside of his choosing,you can expect another long court case to determine owners rights in this league. Me thinks that there are some owners who, don't support Bettman, who want this to happen

But if the owners of The Sabres and Leafs don't want the team there other owners could back them up. A lot of owners do stick together as long as it does not affect them in a bad way.

I guess the only sure bet right now is they will not be returning to Phoenix. Hamilton just doesnt seem like a major league town to me. We will see.

I agree that Hamilton is not a major league town.

I guess the only sure bet right now is they will not be returning to Phoenix. Hamilton just doesnt seem like a major league town to me. We will see.

You should read up on Hamilton, it's one of the biggest cities in Ontario. It's no different than a city like Tampa Bay or even Anaheim having a hockey team .

Archived