The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

Washington Caps' prospect John Carlson scored winning goal in Ot to bring JR Gold home to US.

Juniorfront06_418881gm-a.jpg

http://www.theglobea...article1420760/

Congrats on the win ! Great hockey game with plenty of future NHLers on view. Gotta say that the pro's could take a page from these kids. Full out, no prisoners hockey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*sigh* redundant, I know, but the Leafs lost again tonight. Maybe now that Conan's a free agent we should sign him to a contract. Couldn't hurt, right?

Conan_bighead_skate.jpg

Love that picture :P Sadly the leafs are such a joke that the last thing they need is another comedian on the team. B)

Great trades by Burke yesterday biggrin.gif Once again the leafs have robbed Calgary...remember Gilmour. Sad to see Ian white go but but he is not even close to Dion.

Actually think that will turn out to be a good trade for both the Leafs and The Flames. The steal was getting Giguere from the Ducks. I'm thinking Burkes not close to finished either

Love that picture :P Sadly the leafs are such a joke that the last thing they need is another comedian on the team. B)

Yeah those were really good episodes. With all the dour faces, I thought the Leafs could use a little humour. I know the fans do! :P I can't help but wonder whether Wilson has lost the locker room.

I do wish Wilson continued 'success' during the Olympics. After that I hope the Leafs salvage some respect by going on a tear.

dion.jpg

DION PHANEUF TRADED TO TORONTO

And Jason Blake and Vesa Toskala are finally gone!

What a great day for the Leafs :D

Definitely bold steps in the right direction. It's hard to believe that Phaneuf's value has dropped so much that a last place East team can have the pieces to make it happen, but hey, we can use the good timing of our Stajan & Hagman pretty much reaching their ceiling at a time when the Flames are desperate for offense.

The exciting part is that Dion's ceiling is much higher!! AND we got rid of Blake's mammoth contract. Vesa's essentially been replaced by someone who can bring some stability in the net. Best of all, Burke said he's not done yet. I expect Kaberle/Exelby or another D-man to get traded for some top offensive talent/picks.

f3b16522aba7a600d523c3aca07eaf2f-getty-90960796_abe013_leafs_njd.jpg

Leafs beat New Jersey (minus Brodeur) 3-0.

Giguere with the shutout, very solid debut.

Phaneuf looked great, nice scrap early in the 1st period. Still can't believe he's a Leaf, it still looks strange to see him in Blue and White (just as Stajan and company looked weird in Flames jerseys last night)

Kessel scores his first goal against an East opponenent in almost 2 months.

Playoffs here we come!

Kovalchuk's going to New Jersey!

Full Story @ ESPN

Cool, I can live with that! I'd rather he didn't become a Thrasher for life, personally, and I like the Devils ok.

BTW, can anybody recommend a good documentary about the history of hockey? The series "Legends of Hockey" keeps popping up when I search - is that a good one?

(edited for brevity's sake and grammar)

Playoffs here we come!

Hey let's plan the parade route! :P

Kovalchuk's going to New Jersey!

Full Story @ ESPN

Cool, I can live with that! I'd rather he didn't become a Thrasher for life, personally, and I like the Devils ok.

BTW, can anybody recommend a good documentary about the history of hockey? The series "Legends of Hockey" keeps popping up when I search - is that a good one?

(edited for brevity's sake and grammar)

Really surprising news, actually. Devils are always stockpiled with young talent so I guess it was worth it for them to part with some of it since they badly need an offensive talent of Kovalchuk's calibre. But New Jersey plays a team first, defensively responsible game, two qualities Ilya has never been accused of possessing ;). That, and Lamoriello is 'fiscally responsible' (read: a tightwad) and he just acquired a player who turned down a $101M contract offer.

Maybe his agent was making exorbitant demands to force him out of Atlanta, but it does nothing to help Kovalchuk's growing reputation as a selfish player. He may like the fact that New Jersey is not as much a hockey magnet as other cities are, but make no mistake, many knowledgeable and passionate fans go to the games. They won't let him get away with the kind of one dimensional hockey he has given to the Thrashers.

Wonder if he'll sign with Jersey?

Hey let's plan the parade route! :P

Really surprising news, actually. Devils are always stockpiled with young talent so I guess it was worth it for them to part with some of it since they badly need an offensive talent of Kovalchuk's calibre. But New Jersey plays a team first, defensively responsible game, two qualities Ilya has never been accused of possessing ;). That, and Lamoriello is 'fiscally responsible' (read: a tightwad) and he just acquired a player who turned down a $101M contract offer.

Maybe his agent was making exorbitant demands to force him out of Atlanta, but it does nothing to help Kovalchuk's growing reputation as a selfish player. He may like the fact that New Jersey is not as much a hockey magnet as other cities are, but make no mistake, many knowledgeable and passionate fans go to the games. They won't let him get away with the kind of one dimensional hockey he has given to the Thrashers.

Wonder if he'll sign with Jersey?

Interesting! Well, I guess if they do have the defense down pat, he'll round out the team pretty well, if he can learn to play more as a team. Hopefully the experience will make him even better; maybe it's just what he needs! And thanks for the low-down; I haven't been watching the Devils a whole lot, so I don't know much about their team dynamics.

Yeah, maybe he's trying to be polite by publicly saying he doesn't want to leave Atlanta, but then covertly having his agent not accept any offers on purpose because he actually wants out. Or maybe he's trying to make the Thrashers panic a little by going to another team, forcing them to up their offer one last time, maybe. I think the first scenario's more likely - I mean, sheesh, he's already up to $101 mil! If you really want to stay, take the deal for pete's sake, man! I can't believe he'd pass that up if he really wanted to stay, but maybe I'm just not thinking big enough.

In other news, the Ducks beat the Red Wings AGAIN!! Let's not let this become a pattern, ok, boys? I just don't understand how they can beat the Sharks one night and then go on to let the flippin' Ducks beat them! I guess maybe they were tired, but stuff like this has been happening for quite a while now, argh! And in other other news, can't wait for the Pens/Caps game this weekend! I know it's not allowed, but I kind of like both teams, hehe. It's just fun to watch both teams play, and especially when they play each other.

Interesting! Well, I guess if they do have the defense down pat, he'll round out the team pretty well, if he can learn to play more as a team. Hopefully the experience will make him even better; maybe it's just what he needs! And thanks for the low-down; I haven't been watching the Devils a whole lot, so I don't know much about their team dynamics.

Yeah, maybe he's trying to be polite by publicly saying he doesn't want to leave Atlanta, but then covertly having his agent not accept any offers on purpose because he actually wants out. Or maybe he's trying to make the Thrashers panic a little by going to another team, forcing them to up their offer one last time, maybe. I think the first scenario's more likely - I mean, sheesh, he's already up to $101 mil! If you really want to stay, take the deal for pete's sake, man! I can't believe he'd pass that up if he really wanted to stay, but maybe I'm just not thinking big enough.

It should be pointed out that that $101M deal was for 12 years (not the more annually affordable 101 year contract lol), which would give him, what, $8.5M per season? But nooooo, he wanted $11M. There's always a chance that a player changes his ways for the better. Some like Pronger and Thornton have improved with time and a new team (Leafs fans hope the same for Phaneuf), though the knock thus far on IK has been that despite his individual achievements, he has lead his team to only one post season appearance. Fair or not to put the blame on one guy, but when you want the most dough, you get the most scrutiny. We'll see how he holds up in a bigger spotlight.

Not sure about best hockey history movies at the moment, but I'll look into it and get back to you, Footsteps :)

Haha, hey, I could sign him to my (theoretical) hockey team with that kind of contract! He'd just have to promise to stay alive that long. ;) But gosh, $11M isn't exactly small change, is it? I just read that Crosby gets $8.7M a year, and Ovechkin is the only one to have signed a $100M+ in the NHL so far ($124M for 13 years). $101M for 12 yrs. sounds good to me! Especially when, like you said, the Thrashers have only made the post-season once. This thing with NJ will definitely tell the tale of what he can do.

Thanks! My old-school hockey knowledge is severely limited, so I wanted to get smart, lol.

Haha, hey, I could sign him to my (theoretical) hockey team with that kind of contract! He'd just have to promise to stay alive that long. wink.gif But gosh, $11M isn't exactly small change, is it? I just read that Crosby gets $8.7M a year, and Ovechkin is the only one to have signed a $100M+ in the NHL so far ($124M for 13 years). $101M for 12 yrs. sounds good to me! Especially when, like you said, the Thrashers have only made the post-season once. This thing with NJ will definitely tell the tale of what he can do.

Thanks! My old-school hockey knowledge is severely limited, so I wanted to get smart, lol.

Legends Of Hockey is a great look back at the NHL and it's past stars. Highly recommend it !

The Leafs came up big last night and beat Ottawa 5-0 in what may have been there best game of the year. They dedicated the win to Brendan Burke, the 21-year-old son of the Maple Leafs/Team USA Olympic general manager Brian Burke. A moment of silence was observed at Saturdays game. Brendan Burke was tragically killed in a car crash late Friday afternoon.

The Leafs came up big last night and beat Ottawa 5-0 in what may have been there best game of the year. They dedicated the win to Brendan Burke, the 21-year-old son of the Maple Leafs/Team USA Olympic general manager Brian Burke. A moment of silence was observed at Saturdays game. Brendan Burke was tragically killed in a car crash late Friday afternoon.

I think losing a child is the most horrible thing any parent could experience. Peace be with Brendan and my sincere condolences to the Burke family

Archived