The Ten Club

bigstickbonzo

Pearl_Jam_Immagine_In_Cornice_DVD.jpg

Just got this the other day, its REALLY good.

Yes, it is. Probably my favorite live DVD release of the year. Actually, one of the things I like about it is that it's not just a live performance disc but it also includes glimpes behind the scenes. Danny Clinch did an outstanding job on the cinematography on this one and Pearl Jam rise to the occasion both onstage and off.

I like Vs. from beginning to end and enjoy it on some levels better than the first record. I also like the rest of their entire catalog (studio releases). Yep, there's some tunes I like less than others but I don't discount the entire albums because of that.

Big fan here. Saw them in the Melkweg on the first tour, when Ten was just released. And a few times after that. :D

Their new DVD, a tour film shot in Italia is wonderful. And the Gorge box is essential stuff too. Got a few official bootlegs added too that one.

And essential real bootleg stuff is the show they played at Pinkpop in 1992. With Ed's attempt to fly. Was there too.

l_d8e020d40967cabb692bb1ef19e34e6b.jpg

BIG PJ fan here. I've asked for the Gorge set for Christmas, in fact. And if I don't get it then I'll buy it the next day.

Temple Of The Dog was awesome too. Hunger Strike, Times Of Trouble, Say Hello 2 Heaven...all classics themselves.

For the Pearl Jam noob, just get Rearview Mirror. After that you'll find yourself getting the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

I said this in another thread, but...........I think Pearl Jam is the last great rock band. I've never heard a Pearl Jam album that I didn't like. Some challenge you, but they're all worthy of true greatness.

Seeing them live is an event, like bands in the old days. They can play their collective asses off and they never take a night off it seems regarding performance.

Hey, long live Pearl Jam.

Regards;

• 1 month later...
I have to second the commotion for the Live at the Gorge box set, there's a bit of crossover from disc to disc but overall the performances throughout showcase just what a powerhouse live band Pearl Jam are at this stage of their career. Another fine example is the just released Immagine in Cornice DVD which doesn't show them letting up one iota.

Overall, I love their entire catalog with my favorite being Vs. I also enjoy No Code, which never seems to get enough love. Binaural is probably my least favorite. I don't hate it by any stretch of the imagination but for whatever reason, I've just never been able to fully connect with that record. I also enjoy Riot Act as well as their self titled new one. The first few tracks capture Pearl Jam in a frenzy which is very remincent of their earlier sound. While top heavy with some of the albums more heavy tracks, the rest of the record is balanced out with other touchtones of the Pearl Jam sound that make it one of their very best studio efforts in years.

I also highly recommend the very excellent Benaroya Hall double live acoustic record as well as the odds n' ends collection Lost Dogs if they're not already part of your collection.

No Code is actually my fave PJ album. I thought that i was the only person in the worls who would say that.

Great, great band.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003711650

Vedder Heads West For Spring Solo Shows

vedder_eddie_03l.gif

Eddie Vedder

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder will embark on his first solo tour this spring, in support of his Monkeywrench/J soundtrack to the acclaimed film "Into the Wild." Dates begin April 2 in Vancouver; Liam Finn will open.

Vedder was uncertain about presenting the material live when he spoke to Billboard late last year. "I like the idea. It'll happen when it happens if it happens," he said with a laugh.

But he has since come around to the idea, perhaps encouraged by a well-received performance of "Into the Wild" music at a private party in Los Angeles in November.

"This will be an amazing opportunity for fans to see Eddie Vedder in such intimate settings," RCA Music Group VP or A&R/marketing Matt Shay tells Billboard.com. "Working with Eddie on the music from 'Into the Wild' has been an honor, and the tour will be a true highlight for all of us."

At present, it hasn't been announced whether Vedder will be playing the shows completely on his own or with help from other musicians. Ticket information, including pre-sale access for members of Pearl Jam's Ten Club fan organization, can be found at PearlJam.com.

Vedder's "Into the Wild" soundtrack has sold 243,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The track "Guaranteed" won the Golden Globe for best original song, while "Hard Sun" enjoyed success at radio, peaking at No. 13 on Billboard's Modern Rock chart.

Before Vedder hits the road, Pearl Jam is expected to regroup and start sketching out material for its next studio album. As previously reported, the band will also assemble to co-headline the Bonnaroo festival in mid-June in Manchester, Tenn.

There's other new Vedder music in the offing as well. His track "No More" will serve as the first single from "Body of War: Songs That Inspired an Iraq War Veteran," due March 18 via Reprise.

Here are Eddie Vedder's tour dates:

April 2: Vancouver (the Centre)

April 5: Santa Cruz, Calif. (Civic Auditorium)

April 7: Berkeley, Calif. (Zellerbach Auditorium)

April 10: Santa Barbara, Calif. (Arlington Theatre)

April 12-13: Los Angeles (Wiltern Theatre)

April 15: San Diego (Spreckels Theatre)

• 2 months later...

From RollingStone.com:

Pearl Jam Begin Work on Ninth Studio Album

20652556-20652557-slarge.jpg

Pearl Jam have begun work on early demos for their ninth studio album — which will be their first with producer Brendan O’Brien since 1998’s Yield, according to guitarist Mike McCready. “It’s really in its infant stages right now,” McCready tells Rolling Stone. “We have about five ideas that have been worked on.” The band, whose last album was 2006’s well-received Pearl Jam, isn’t sure yet about the direction of the new release. “Brendan is another set of ears that we respect, and he’s going to give us a different way to go but I don’t know what that is yet,” McCready says. The band has already had one session with O’Brien, and will probably resume work on the album in July after finishing their June U.S. tour. (Also in July, the band is planning to appear on VH1’s Rock Honors special, which will honor PJ faves the Who.)

Meanwhile, McCready is continuing his charity work for his cause of choice: raising awareness about Crohn’s disease, the digestive ailment he’s suffered from since he was 21. He’s leading a May 3rd benefit concert at the Seattle club Showbox at the Market, raising money for the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of American. McCready will perform twice first with Rick and Chris Friel from his pre-Pearl Jam band Shadow, and then with Flight to Mars, his tribute band to British rockers UFO (the band’s guitarist, Michael Schenker, was a big influence). During the Shadow set, McCready expects his old friend Duff McKagan to jump on stage. “He wants to sing [the Stooges’] ‘I Wannna Be Your Dog,’” McCready says. “I’m just stoked he wanted to be part of it.”

[Photo: Getty]

Edited by Jahfin

• 2 weeks later...

Pearl Jam Plans To Let New Songs 'Grow Up'

mccready_mike_01l.gif

Mike McCready

Gary Graff, Detroit

Pearl Jam has gotten a start on its next album, but it's still in "its very infant stages" according to guitarist Mike McCready.

"We've had one session of writing and it has yielded ... about five ideas so far," McCready told Billboard.com during a conference call with reporters about this year's Bonnaroo Music Festival, which Pearl Jam will headline on June 14. "Some of it's kind of poppy and some of it's a little hard. We want it to grow up a little bit. We have to revisit it a few times."

You can read the rest of the article here.

Edited by Jahfin

• 1 month later...

Kiss, Ramones Members Guest With Pearl Jam In NYC

green_eddie_01l.gif

Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder on stage at Madison Square Garden

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Pearl Jam gave a nod to its classic rock influences last night (June 25) in New York, drafting Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley and Ramones bassist C.J. Ramone for guest appearances during the second of a two-night stand at Madison Square Garden.

Frehley turned up to play lead guitar on Kiss' "Black Diamond," which was mostly sung by drummer Matt Cameron, with guitarist Mike McCready, an admitted Frehley obsessive, handling the first verse.

To read the rest of the review click here.

Edited by Jahfin

TED LEO + PHARMACISTS/PEARL JAM @ MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, NYC 6/24/08

pearl_jam-msg3.jpg

Our friend Matthew Perpetua (Fluxblog) is a big Pearl Jam fan who hasn't seen the band live in over ten years. Last night we sent him to Madison Square Garden. Here is his review. Photos by Maria Tessa Sciarrino.

If you need to know anything about this concert, it's that Pearl Jam's audience is very, very intense. The Garden was at maximum capacity, and about 96% of the people in the building were flipping out from the beginning of the show all the way to the end of it, about three hours later. I feel like I've been in a lot of good crowds over the past ten years or so, but leaving this Pearl Jam show left me wondering if the people at all those other gigs even liked those bands at all. In my experience, I've found that arena rock shows tend to attract a lot of fairweather fans -- for example, I saw R.E.M. at the same venue last week, and there were certainly a lot of people just standing around waiting for the big hits -- but the unanimity of enthusiasm for Pearl Jam was remarkable, and on par with only a handful of acts that I've seen in much smaller rooms. At certain points in the evening, the crowd was louder than the band, and very often it seemed like the entire audience was following a specific choreography that I wasn't aware of due to the fact that I hadn't seen them play in a decade. A lot of the time it seemed too good to be true, like some perfect fantasy of an arena audience. It was very inspiring.

To read the remainder of the review click here.