Humble Pie

Peep Solero

The version found on Rockin' The Fillmore is amazing. Hell that whole album was early 70's hard rock at its' very best. I vaguely remember reading where Marriott used the first part of the song directly from the Muddy Waters original but then going into some other old blues tune for the last half.

The live version has Marriott telling a story to the audience under a slow vamp......it's incredible.

Regards;

Thanks, I think I'll be buying another Pie CD. What is sad is, those guys played ALL THE TIME in Northern NJ and NYC and I never had an interest in seeing them.

Hey Al, nice to see ya :wave::beer:

Wish I'd seen them live

Hey Yourself yes I do have a few memories but with My luck I will develop alzhiemers and forget everything.Just kidding I hope.I am still good trying to find a concert to go see so far nothing exciting comming up down this way.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Shame about the way it ended.

musiccornershop.blogspot.com/2010/09/untouchable-and-ultimate-mod-steve_17

Everybody said at this time than Humble Pie couldn't split up, then they were racketed by the Mafia, via Dee Anthony, their manager, than the band was completely exhausted by never ending tour, than they stood up still using huge quantity of cocaine and the amazing and supernatural energy of Steve Marriott.

beachwoodreporter.com/music/steve_marriott_humbled_by_the

The Steve Marriott Saga: How the Mob, Peter Frampton and Daddy Osbourne Snuffed Out The Small Faces and Humble Pie

By Don Jacobson

Chicago - Mar. 7, 2011

The other day I was listening to a great old album on WREK-FM, one of our better non-commercial, student-run stations, from Georgia Tech in Atlanta. The program was Stonehenge, WREK's weekly "deep tracks" classic rock show, and the album was Humble Pie's first effort, 1969's "As Safe As Yesterday Is." It was so good, it got me wondering, why didn't Steve Marriott ever become the ultra-special hyperstar he should have been? What happened to him in the years between Humble Pie's break-up in 1975 and his premature, accidental death in a 1991 house fire?

In my resulting research, there was a non-surprise: Marriott was totally besotted by cocaine and booze, which eventually led to an induced mental illness. But there was also something else that I wasn't aware of. In the long, ignoble history of musicians being ripped off by unscrupulous, power-mad managers, Marriott had to take the cake. He never realized any kind of financial gain from his fabulous output of talent. Sandwiched around one visionary but unsuccessful handler (the Rolling Stones' Andrew Loog Oldham) were two other, uh, less-than-saintly guys, including Sharon Osbourne's daddy. The career of Don Arden, Sharon's father, is a fascinating, cautionary tale of how the music business and what amounts to organized crime are really just two sides of the same coin, and he's maybe one of the all-time poster boys for "reasons this industry should be destroyed." He died earlier this year at age 81. Arden was known as "Mr. Big" and the "Al Capone of Pop," using all kinds of extra-legal means to get his acts airplay, including the threat - and actual use of - violence, both against clients who dared to question his accounting methods as well as outsiders. His first big success was Marriott's band The Small Faces. Teenager Steve never had any idea where the money went all those years while he was following his heart, writing some of the best songs of the British Invasion era. Truly, it was a classic case of the victimized artist.

(Arden is probably best known for his mid-70s success in managing Electric Light Orchestra, as well as an incident in 1979 when he set his dogs on daughter Sharon, who had incurred his displeasure by muscling in on his management contract with her future husband, Ozzy Osbourne. The dog attack resulted in a miscarriage for Sharon.)

Then, after he formed Humble Pie with Peter Frampton, Marriott hooked up with Dee Anthony, one of the most important and powerful American rock managers. Anthony was indeed successful in getting the band a contract with A&M Records, and was the one who encouraged them to go the hard boogie, arena-rock route, a sound that turned them into one of the best live bands around and eventually yielded the hit "Thirty Days In The Hole." (Anthony later used the same formula for Frampton and his Comes Alive! album.) But, like a broken record, millions of dollars of royalties disappeared. Marriott, who was so poor he had been reduced to stealing food, thought Anthony had diverted the considerable Humble Pie royalties to push a now-solo Frampton, and demanded that Anthony tell him where the money was. At that point, Marriott was taken into a meeting that included John Gotti, Paul Castellano and other members of the Gambino crime family, at least according to Marriott's official biography, All Too Beautiful. That ended his impertinent money questions.

In addition to his borderline mental illness and his never-really-conquered substance abuse (he died from smoke inhalation in a fire caused when he passed out and dropped a lit cigarette), Marriott's nightmarish experiences with the record industry were a big reason he never tried to make a comeback in the 1980's, when, after all, he was still only in his 30's. While other British Invasion-era stars were reveling in a second wave of adulation from a new generation of admirers - and perhaps making up for how completely they were ripped off the first time around and in many cases curing their "overlooked" status - Marriott never did. He was so wary of record companies that he preferred to play the rest of his career in small English pubs and acoustic venues, where the pariahs of the industry would leave him alone. He chose penury and obscurity rather than than sell out to a corrupt music biz machine. That makes him a hero in my book.

Posted on November 26, 2007

Humble Pie is one of my all time fav bands. They had one of the best vocalist of all time- Steve Marriott-in fact he was on Jimmy Page's list for vocalist when putting together Led Zeppelin along with Terry Reid but both were already busy in projects.

So sad that Steve died so young in the tragic fire. I have demos he had just made with Peter Frampton-they were going to do a new project together but then Steve died.

Of course the early '70's line-ups were awesome but the two albums made in the early '80's are very good as well -ON to Victory and Go for the Throat.

I have a FM broadcast of them playing in Reseda, California 1981 and they are jamming.

• 8 months later...

Jerry Shirley has recently authored a book (his biography to be more precise) which is probably why he is busy in media appearances these days. Here's an interview with Bob Ruggiero of the Houston Press. It is mentioned in the article that Steve Marriott was offered the lead vocalist position in the New Yardbirds, after declining it, the offer went to Terry Reid who in turn recommended Robert Plant. (This fact is mentioned in the thread anyway, two posts above).

Here's the link to the interview (I haven't read the book yet, but I may check out soon, in case there are some useful Zeppelin references there!)

http://blogs.houston...ce_of_the_p.php

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived