OVERALL BEST 10 BEST CONCERTS YOU HAVE ATTENDED

alwizard03

That would have been amazing! I've seen Pat in concert many times but never unplugged.

Thanks...it was. I also enjoyed Jean Luc Ponty, Spyro Gyra (saw them at Ravinia), Beck and other jazz fusion as well. I am almost finished with my revisit of history and then I will move on. Bottom line is that I support music in many ways, but now through my kids (who have provided the best video the past 20 years of concerts, recitals, chorus, band, orchestra..etc). I have invested in lessons, music (itunes mostly), concerts for the kids and now a couple for myself as well. I believe that music continues to draw substantial support...which is a good thing.

In 2008, I attended a private showing by the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Symphony Hall. I attended a conference of one of the major supporters. There was only a couple hundred of us and a whole orchestra! I have a signed Symphony Hall, the First 100 years by Keith Lockhart...my only music memorabilia really. I did see Aerosmith last year at the beginning of the Tour before the wheels fell off the bus. I took my son for his 14th birthday. They played the entire "Toys in the Attic" album!

It's been enjoyable :) .

Thanks...it was. I also enjoyed Jean Luc Ponty, Spyro Gyra (saw them at Ravinia), Beck and other jazz fusion as well. I am almost finished with my revisit of history and then I will move on. Bottom line is that I support music in many ways, but now through my kids (who have provided the best video the past 20 years of concerts, recitals, chorus, band, orchestra..etc). I have invested in lessons, music (itunes mostly), concerts for the kids and now a couple for myself as well. I believe that music continues to draw substantial support...which is a good thing.

In 2008, I attended a private showing by the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Symphony Hall. I attended a conference of one of the major supporters. There was only a couple hundred of us and a whole orchestra! I have a signed Symphony Hall, the First 100 years by Keith Lockhart...my only music memorabilia really. I did see Aerosmith last year at the beginning of the Tour before the wheels fell off the bus. I took my son for his 14th birthday. They played the entire "Toys in the Attic" album!

It's been enjoyable :) .

I would have loved to have seen Jean Luc Ponty and Al DiMeola. I've seen John McLaughlin with Shakti and Chick Corea a couple of times but he was doing straight jazz and not with Return to Forever.

That's great your kids are so involved in music! It's so good for them on so many levels. Must have been an amazing experience to see the BSO in such an intimate setting.

So many great shows seen down the years so the obvious ones at the front

1.Led Zep Earls Court 24/5/75

2 led Zep Stoke 1973

3 Led zep Knebworth 4.8.79

4 Led Zep 02 Arena 2007

5 Led Zep Knebworth 11.8.79

6 Page and Plant Sheffield 1995

7 CSNY Wembley stadium 74

8 Jethro Tull Stoke 1972

9 Bob Marley Stafford 1980

10 Yes Stoke 1972

A bucket load more of Plant shows, Strange Sensation, Page&Plant, Jimmy Page.

Now there's one ticket stub I don't have. I never saw Bob Marley! Lucky you! I'm jealouus!

35? Someone on here was saying SEVENTY bucks to park at Arlington!

That is correct..... Parking for football games at Cowboys Stadium will range from $50 to $75. At Rangers Ballpark in Arlington,next to the Stadium, parking will cost between $40 and $60, a cheap price to pay to walk about a mile to the new stadium, right ! RV parking is just $150. And there is -No- regular public transportation servicing the new stadium. That's how we 'roll' in Texas !!

Frank Zappa with Jean Luc Ponty is in my top five concerts.

As far as I know Zappa played Australia in 1973 and 1976. I have one of the two concerts recorded in Sydney from 1973, if you'd like I could send you samples from an FTP server.

1973 06 25 - Hordern Pavilion, Sydney, Australia

Previously listed as 1973 06 24.

130 min, SBD, A+/A

115 min, Aud, C

The Aud recording cuts in Farther Oblivion. The are two main SBD sources that together only miss part of the intros and some of Inca Roads. Complete show compiled from both Aud and SBD sources is nearly 150 minutes long.

soundcheck intro, improvisations, Dupree's Paradise, Dog Meat, Fifty-Fifty, soundcheck blues, Cosmik Debris, Inca Roads (q: I Wanna Be Around), Montana, Yellow Snow Suite [parts on Australian Yellow Snow, OSD, and on Farther O'Blivion, YCDTOSA6], Farther Oblivion (q: Montana), Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes.

Here's Zappa's lineup from that period.

February-September, 1973

Frank Zappa guitar, vocals

Ralph Humphrey drums

George Duke keyboards, vocals*

Bruce Fowler trombone

Tom Fowler bass

Jean-Luc Ponty violin

Ian Underwood woodwinds, synthesizer*

Ruth Underwood percussion

But Whatever! :D

Led Zeppelin 1977

Bad Company/Kansas 1976

Stevie Ray Vaughn/Jeff Beck 1989

Stevie Ray Vaughn 1985

Eric Clpaton 1978

Kiss 1977

Mahogony Rush/Pat Travers 1981

Allman Brothers 1973

Johnny Winter 2005

Van Halen 1980

ZZ Topp/Marshall Tucker/Elvin Bishop/Point Blank 1976

Rolling Stones/ZZ Topp/ The Fabulous Thunderbirds 1981

Steppenwolf(John Kay)/Iron Butterfly/Badfinger 1994

Bachman-Turner Overdrive 1989

Bob Seger/Rick Derringer 1984

Mountain 1974

The late 70's produced some great live concerts in Chicago culminating with the anti-disco movement (stupidity at it's finest...). Concerts were selling out regardless what day of the week it was, and many of the Live performances were some of the best ever for bands coming through Chicago (IMO). I actually liked some of the disco stuff when I was younger and visiting friends in the City...where it was big. Anyways, everyone wanted a revolution because each decade before had some big cultural change driving the music of the day (Vietnam, Civil Rights, the Birth of Rock 'n' Roll...etc...). My counterparts wanted a revolution of their own and went after Disco (really impressive). The entertainment industry picked up on this and loaded up the "Classic Rock" Tours. The competition was high so the Live stuff was great for the time. I saw Santana several times and on one particular occasion (school night), this particular concert in Chicago was probably the best performance I had ever seen (either Chicago Ampitheater or Stadium in 1979?). After completeing one of the most phenomenal song sets ever, we went into the encores. Encore after encore was played...and then the lights came on. I noticed at this point that my buddy and I were one of the few white dudes from the burbs. This concert was for everyone else. Santana then proceeded to continue playing at full force. After a couple more solos my friend (who was driving) said that it was time to go. Outside the venue I could still hear the music playing...never did find out how many encores were played (must have been at least five or six at least). I believe the battleground in Chicago was the perfect set-up for a four stop by Led Zeppelin in 1980. This was the Band's opportunity to change the narrow mindset that had developed and move music beyond the current rut (hence the explosive punk/new wave retaliation that resulted from this era).

The late 70's produced some great live concerts in Chicago culminating with the anti-disco movement (stupidity at it's finest...). Concerts were selling out regardless what day of the week it was, and many of the Live performances were some of the best ever for bands coming through Chicago (IMO). I actually liked some of the disco stuff when I was younger and visiting friends in the City...where it was big. Anyways, everyone wanted a revolution because each decade before had some big cultural change driving the music of the day (Vietnam, Civil Rights, the Birth of Rock 'n' Roll...etc...). My counterparts wanted a revolution of their own and went after Disco (really impressive). The entertainment industry picked up on this and loaded up the "Classic Rock" Tours. The competition was high so the Live stuff was great for the time. I saw Santana several times and on one particular occasion (school night), this particular concert in Chicago was probably the best performance I had ever seen (either Chicago Ampitheater or Stadium in 1979?). After completeing one of the most phenomenal song sets ever, we went into the encores. Encore after encore was played...and then the lights came on. I noticed at this point that my buddy and I were one of the few white dudes from the burbs. This concert was for everyone else. Santana then proceeded to continue playing at full force. After a couple more solos my friend (who was driving) said that it was time to go. Outside the venue I could still hear the music playing...never did find out how many encores were played (must have been at least five or six at least). I believe the battleground in Chicago was the perfect set-up for a four stop by Led Zeppelin in 1980. This was the Band's opportunity to change the narrow mindset that had developed and move music beyond the current rut (hence the explosive punk/new wave retaliation that resulted from this era).

Satisfaction came in a chain reaction.

We also had the funkified soul boogie redemptive factor happening, courtesy of the brothers.

As far as I know Zappa played Australia in 1973 and 1976. I have one of the two concerts recorded in Sydney from 1973, if you'd like I could send you samples from an FTP server.

1973 06 25 - Hordern Pavilion, Sydney, Australia

Previously listed as 1973 06 24.

130 min, SBD, A+/A

115 min, Aud, C

The Aud recording cuts in Farther Oblivion. The are two main SBD sources that together only miss part of the intros and some of Inca Roads. Complete show compiled from both Aud and SBD sources is nearly 150 minutes long.

soundcheck intro, improvisations, Dupree's Paradise, Dog Meat, Fifty-Fifty, soundcheck blues, Cosmik Debris, Inca Roads (q: I Wanna Be Around), Montana, Yellow Snow Suite [parts on Australian Yellow Snow, OSD, and on Farther O'Blivion, YCDTOSA6], Farther Oblivion (q: Montana), Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes.

Here's Zappa's lineup from that period.

February-September, 1973

Frank Zappa guitar, vocals

Ralph Humphrey drums

George Duke keyboards, vocals*

Bruce Fowler trombone

Tom Fowler bass

Jean-Luc Ponty violin

Ian Underwood woodwinds, synthesizer*

Ruth Underwood percussion

But Whatever! biggrin.gif

That sounds like the show!

Like I said it was over 30 years ago and a lot of water has gone under the bridge but even though the dates maybe vague the memory of the gig lives on. cool.gif

The Pirates - Cardiff,'78.

The Cramps - Cardiff,'86.

Patti Smith - Cardiff,'78.

Queen - Swansea,'74.

10cc,Steeleye Span,Man,Thin Lizzy - Cardiff,'75.

Link Wray - Newport,'96.

Led Zeppelin - Earls Court,London,'75.

The Who,Sensational Alex Harvey Band,The Outlaws,Little Feat,etc - Swansea,'76.

The Stranglers - Swansea,'76.

Tin Machine - London,'91.

• 1 month later...

Count Basie Orchestra, 2007

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Jeff Beck, 1989

Carlos Santana, 1990 (front row center seat)

Maynard Ferguson, 1984 & 2000

Page/Plant, 1998

Robert Plant, 1993

Woody Herman Orchestra, 1985

Eric Clapton 1990

Robby Krieger 1991

Tom Jones, 2004

Been to a lot of other shows with these artists and plenty of others, but these are what stand out on my mind.

Count Basie Orchestra, 2007

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Jeff Beck, 1989

Carlos Santana, 1990 (front row center seat)

Maynard Ferguson, 1984 & 2000

Page/Plant, 1998

Robert Plant, 1993

Woody Herman Orchestra, 1985

Eric Clapton 1990

Robby Krieger 1991

Tom Jones, 2004

Been to a lot of other shows with these artists and plenty of others, but these are what stand out on my mind.

Wow - some interesting shows - Count Basie Orchestra, Woody Herman Orchestra, Maynard Ferguson - very cool :)

Don't have top 10 but these are my favorite so far:

1) Red Hot Chili Peppers Oct 21st 2006, Albany, NY- I still can't believe how amazing it was and how lucky I am to see John Frusciante play guitar with the chilis

2) Robert Plant Sept. 10th 2005, Ottawa- Me and my friend walked back from the Corel Center to the hotel we were staying at and singing and playing air guitar to Whole Lotta Love, it was also the first time I saw people smoking at a concert and realized what it was haha.

3)All Points West August 2nd- Yeah... it was muddy alright but The Black Keys were unbelievably good, Coldplay and MGMT were making the place a party.

4) Rock the Bells July 29th 2007- saw Mos Def, Wu-tang, Cypress Hill, Public Enemy and most importantly Rage Against The Machine. RATM just completely owned the place.

not ranked:

Phish-Darien Lake August 13th 2009- I thought it was kinda sloppy... and plus it was the smelliest concert ever.The show definitely had its high points though (Coming out for the second set and covering The Who's-Drowned and everyone on the lawn was throwing glow stick in the air)

Muse- Madison Square Garden 2010 March 5th- I'm thinking this might enter my top 2 concerts, but it's in the future so I don't know

No particular order, other than Zeppelin HAS to be first.

1. Led Zeppelin June3, 1977 Tampa, FL - 3 songs then a rain-out. Still, I was there and saw them!

2. Rush 2007 & 2008, Charlotte, NC - both legs of the Snakes and Arrows tour. 28 songs, and on the 2nd leg they played The Temples of the Syrinx. As good as it gets.

3. Judas Priest 2005 Atlanta - 30 years and these guys still bring the pain, a complete show, as opposed to older groups making the rounds cashing in on past glories.

4. Florrida World Music Festival, 1977 Orlando - about 7 groups total, but the headliners were Cheap Trick, Aerosmith and Ted Nugent. And no matter how much you hate him, Ted Nugent OWNED the mid-to-late 70s when it came to live shows.

5. Sammy Hagar, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush and Nazereth, Orlando/Seminole Jai-Alai Fronton 1977 - Close to the highest I've ever been at a concert, this one was borderline chaos. If you've never seen Frank Marino wail on the guitar, you're missing out. Sammy Hagar had left Montrose but years before Van Hagar. And Nazereth - words fail me. Please Don't Judas Me is all that needs to be said, really.

6. Lollapalooza, Atlanta 1992 - Grunge was in full effect. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, RHCP, Ice Cube to name a few, and Ministry to name what really mattered. One of the cool things I ever saw Eddie Vedder do was punch a security guard for hassling people that were dancing/moshing in the front.

7. Them Crooked Vultures, The Tabernacle in Atlanta 2 weeks ago - everything I imagined it could be and then some, and I got to meet Deborah J from the forum!

8. Pigface, The Masquerade in Atlanta, 1993 or 94 - Pigface was a collaboration of Industrial artists led by Martin Atkins, including members of KMFDM, Ministry, Skinny Puppy and many others. We were tripping mildly and it was one of the most intense shows I've ever seen.

9. Tool, The International Ballroom in Atlanta 1996 - During the AEnima tour. Maynard was painted half blue and half white. When they played Opiate, the entire place exploded - literally every square foot of floorspace became a pit.

10. Ministry, The International Ballroom in Atlanta 1996 or 97 - Ministry ALWAYS kicks ass.

• 1 month later...

I am a poor recent college grad, so I haven't even been to ten concerts haha. BUT, I have a few recommendations. Even though I hate his guts and really want to smack him in the mouth, John Mayer is AMAZING live. His guitar improv is out of this world. The Chili Peppers are fantastic, too. Anthony Kiedis' vocal ability is really lacking, but Flea and Chad Smith more than make up for it. Their energy is intense. Ben Folds is also an hilariously nerdy white guy and he gets my seal of approval.

• 3 years later...

top 10, can't remember the dates but have seen most of these bands 4 or 5 times or more over the years: no specific order:

1. Pink Floyd

2. Foghat

3. Rory Gallager

4. Savoy Brown

5. Johnny Winter

6. Kansas

7. Lynyrd Skynyrd

8. Pat Travers

9. Procol Harum

10. Robin Trower

Archived