Rush

TenYearsGone75

Wow...it's been a while since I've last posted anything on the board! Between school and work, I hardly have any time to myself, including the time spent in honor of Led Zeppelin, unfortunately.

But, anyway! Back to the topic at hand. I adore the genre of classic rock, but that does not mean I'm an expert on the subject. For one, I was born two decades too late. So, here it is: for all Rush fans out there, I'm interested in understanding more about the band's music, since a friend and I have recently bought tickets to see them in New Orleans, April 19.

I am very familiar with the classics like Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, Fly by Night, etc. However, just as Zeppelin has so many "undiscovered" masterpieces, what is Rush hiding behind the mainstream hits of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures?

-TYG

if they are hiding anything, it would be thier debut album... with the pure rock style and lack of prog influence.. obviosuly when neil joined rush, their musical style changed

alot of people know"Working Man"... but the other tracks on that debut are excellent as well

the first ten albums. are all great. my three fav's are 2112, a farewell to kings, and hemispheres. they are all MUST OWN albums!!! they have eveything rush is known for.

they sound like no one else

the music is very complex

talent wise, they are up there with zep and the beatles, great guitar,bass, synth, distinctive vocals, and maybe the best drumming you will ever hear...

the lyrics are as imagenitive as any thing you've heard

they just kick ass.

there is not a bad song on these albums...

most of thse songs don't get much air play, except "the trees", every other song is a true master piece.

i don't have any idea what the set list will be, you may want to get "live at rio", to get a feel for what to expect.

my tickets for june 14, just arrived, i can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the "Signals" album, also "Counterparts" is good, but it's not that easy to get into.

Signals FTW!

Analog Kid is one of my very favorite Rush tunes, but alas, it isn't in the current tour setlist.

However, 2 other songs from Signals ARE on the setlist - Digital Man and of course, Subdivisions, which is truly epic.

2112 is one of my favorite Rush albums ever, but they played NOTHING from it, which was only a very minor letdown in view of the overall awesomosity of the show.

My advice would be to go out and get their latest - Snakes and Arrows - which is an excellent release and they play MANY of the songs from it.

The first 4 tunes on the cd are especially great at the live show:

Far Cry, Armor And Sword, Workin' Them Angels & The Larger Bowl

All are incredible cuts that display just how great Rush still is.

I made fun of my buddy because he liked rush and because the singer geddy lee had a high voice. i only heard fly by night up to that point. a few months later he had Chronicles in his car and i fell in love.( with Rush) Subdivisions is my Jam. Neil Pert is the best drummer with a double bass kit.

Wow...it's been a while since I've last posted anything on the board! Between school and work, I hardly have any time to myself, including the time spent in honor of Led Zeppelin, unfortunately.

But, anyway! Back to the topic at hand. I adore the genre of classic rock, but that does not mean I'm an expert on the subject. For one, I was born two decades too late. So, here it is: for all Rush fans out there, I'm interested in understanding more about the band's music, since a friend and I have recently bought tickets to see them in New Orleans, April 19.

I am very familiar with the classics like Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, Fly by Night, etc. However, just as Zeppelin has so many "undiscovered" masterpieces, what is Rush hiding behind the mainstream hits of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures?

-TYG

This is one of my favourites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKpjjpA2iD8

Signals FTW!

Analog Kid is one of my very favorite Rush tunes, but alas, it isn't in the current tour setlist.

However, 2 other songs from Signals ARE on the setlist - Digital Man and of course, Subdivisions, which is truly epic.

2112 is one of my favorite Rush albums ever, but they played NOTHING from it, which was only a very minor letdown in view of the overall awesomosity of the show.

Signals is just f'n awesome no? I love every song on that album through and through, not one weak moment. I have it on vinyl, it's especially fun to pop out some vinyl when you love all the songs on it. :D

They did play A Passage to Bangok at the S&A show I attended last year, I think it was right before the final encore, YYZ. They have also changed Digital Man around a bit, they have removed the "He's got a force field and a flexible plan" part.

Archived