VAN HALEN Tour Cancelled?

VAN HALEN Tour Cancelled? - Mar. 2, 2008

TMZ.com reports that the VAN HALEN tour has just been cancelled.

Sources tell TMZ.com that arrangements are being made right now to cancel hotel stays for the tour — which was scheduled to continue through April 19. According to the site, the reason for the cancellation is guitarist Eddie Van Halen, who is said to be "having issues."

VAN HALEN postponed two concerts last weekend in Charlottesville, Virginia and Duluth, Georgia. No reason was given for the postponements, but both were rescheduled for mid-March.

According to numerous unsubstantiated reports online, internal band tensions have been flaring up again as the tour has gone forward. The group hit the road last fall with original singer David Lee Roth for the first time in 22 years.

I was reading somewhere that this wasn't DLR's fault, that it had something to do with Valerie's new book?

She has stated publicy she cheated on Eddie. Regardless, this band lost the plot about

ten years ago and cancelling tour dates is just the latest in a series of small disasters.

They've become a parody and a cliche of what they were 30 years ago. It's over now.

This, also from TMZ.com:

According to website TMZ.com, the cancellation has been blamed on guitarist Van Halen's poor performances, after he turned up for several gigs apparently intoxicated.

Yes, i heard that he was back on the flake. Maybe another rehab stint will bring more rehab rock next year.

I was wondering how life on the road would affect his struggle with alcoholism...kind of figured his lady friend would keep him on a short leash in order to avoid this kind of thing.

I wish him well.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003718728

Sources: Van Halen Tour Not Being Canceled

van_halen_04l.gif

Van Halen

Ray Waddell, Nashville

Despite reports to the contrary, sources with Van Halen tell Billboard the band's tour is not being canceled, though tonight's (March 3) scheduled show at the American Airlines Center in Dallas has been postponed and rescheduled for April 24.

Three other dates have been postponed for undisclosed reasons. The source says the outing picks up on March 11 in Charlottesville, W.V., and a press release regarding the tour's status will be coming within 24 hours.

Van Halen returned to the road last fall with original lead singer David Lee Roth for the first time in 20-plus years. The tour, which features Eddie Van Halen's teenage son Wolfgang on bass, has routinely sold out North American arenas.

The current schedule has shows booked through April 25 in Sacramento, Calif. Van Halen is also slated to perform six days earlier at Tiger Woods' Tiger Jam in Las Vegas.

Media stunt.

How? So far nothing official has even been announced by Van Halen themselves and if it were, how would it benefit them by being some sort of "media stunt"? To me, TMZ never struck me as a very reliable source to start with. It's sorta like NME quoting The Daily Mirror about a "source close to Robert Plant" in the "no Zep tour" story. Not a single one of those are considered reliable sources.

TMZ is ruining television. With them around, who would even want to become famous. If I was in a movie that suddenly became a hit and I was a star, I would run from that faster than you could blink.

if true it's no surprise. if it's drug related, can't rock stars stay of the horse for an hour and a half a day? i don't get rock stars who go on stage too wasted to play. people are paying you good money to provide a service . the other 22 hours are yours to do whatever. that's not directed at him personally it's a general statement .

i've had a lingering feeling he may be in declining health. especially after hearing some

of the playing mistakes he's made lately. hope that's not the case.

From David Menconi's Raleigh, NC News & Observer music blog:

Van Halen's Raleigh show postponed

This just in from Live Nation:

The Van Halen concerts in Dallas, Cincinnati, Raleigh, and Baltimore have been postponed. According to Eddie Van Halen’s physician, he is undergoing a battery of comprehensive medical tests to determine a defined diagnosis and recommended medical procedures.

Fans should retain their tickets as they will be honored at the rescheduled concerts or ticket refunds will be issued at the original point of purchase.

Van Halen was to have played Friday night at the RBC Center. This follows numerous reports circulating in recent days that Van Halen's entire tour was in trouble, in the wake of a few show cancellations last month.

As to whether or not the Raleigh date will be rescheduled eventually: At least we'll always have Greensboro.

From Billboard:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003722884

Van Halen Putting Tour On Hold For A Month

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

After postponing a handful of dates last week in order for guitarist Eddie Van Halen to undergo tests for an unspecified medical condition, Van Halen is postponing all tour activity until April 19.

Seventeen shows are affected, beginning tomorrow night (March 11) in Charlottesville, Va., and running through April 15 in Baltimore.

According to organizers, Van Halen, who has battled cancer and substance abuse, "is currently under doctors' care" and will "continue medical tests to define a course of treatment." No further details were made available.

Fans are being asked to keep their tickets, which will be honored at makeup dates to be announced.

Van Halen returned to the road last fall with original lead singer David Lee Roth for the first time in 20-plus years. The tour, which features Eddie Van Halen's teenage son Wolfgang on bass, has routinely sold out North American arenas.

If you are a huge fan(i'm not) than it's best not to watch this. EDV is so far away on the solo that you know that something is very wrong.

Thanks for the link. This is the first "live" Van Halen I have seen since the real thing in eary eighties w/Davie and '86 w/Sammy. Sounds and looks like crap. I never thought I'd feel embarrassed for DLR!!!

From Billboard:

Van Halen Reschedules Spring Shows

Chris M. Walsh, N.Y.

Van Halen has rescheduled tour dates postponed earlier this month when guitarist Eddie Van Halen was undergoing tests for an unspecified medical condition.

The band will proceed on April 19 in Las Vegas and play 20 shows in all, with the last date set for June 2 in Grand Rapids, Mich. Tickets for the band's previously scheduled dates will be honored.

Van Halen's newly scheduled dates are:

Apr 19: Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay Events Center)

Apr 22: Cincinnati (U.S. Bank Arena)

Apr 24: Dallas (American Airlines Center)

Apr 26: St Louis (Scottrade Center)

Apr 28: Milwaukee (Bradley Center)

Apr 30: Pittsburgh (Mellon Arena)

May 02: Charlottesville, Va. (John Paul Jones Arena)

May 05: Raleigh, N.C. (RBC Center)

May 07: Columbus, Ohio (Schottenstein Center)

May 09: Atlantic City, (N.J. Boardwalk Hall)

May 11: Duluth, Ga. (Gwinnett Arena)

May 13: East Rutherford, N.J. (Izod Center)

May 15: Baltimore, Md. (1st Mariner Arena)

May 18: Hershey, Pa. (Giant Center)

May 20: Uncasville, Conn. (Mohegan Sun Arena)

May 23: New York (Madison Square Garden)

May 25: Providence, R.I. (Dunkin Donuts Center)

May 28: Manchester, N.H. (Verizon Wireless Arena)

May 30: Chicago (Allstate Arena)

June 2: Grand Rapids, Mich. (Van Andel Arena)

Archived