BBC-What is and What Should Ever Be

blackbeauty21

I would have to listen to the song again to know what you're talking about - but Jimmy did have a limited opportunity to do some overdubs on various songs for the BBC sessions which you can hear throughout

The show was recorded April 1, 1971 and broadcast April 3. That's not a lot of time to put down overdubs. Dave Lewis mentions that Jimmy and Robert assisted in the mixdown of the session, but there is zero mention of overdubs.

Yes, there are overdubs. I believe there are two different BBC sessions where both Page and Plant put down a 2nd part. I don't have the dates in front of me, but it's easy to spot, especially when there are two Roberts going. I recall Whole Lotta Love being one of the songs.

The show was recorded April 1, 1971 and broadcast April 3. That's not a lot of time to put down overdubs. Dave Lewis mentions that Jimmy and Robert assisted in the mixdown of the session, but there is zero mention of overdubs.

You're talking about disc two. Disc one has the song and included an extra guitar track.

Disc two didn't include WIAWSNB. You're thinking of the boot! :D

:lol:

You're right. I ran off that confounded drawbridge!

Bottom line is, WIAWSNB DOES have extra material on Disc ONE of the legitimate BBC release.

Here it is: June 24th '69 BBC Top Gear

Comm. Breakdown / Trav. Riverside Blues / Whole Lotta Love / What is & what should...

June 16th '69 - Comm. Breakdown / What is & what should...

these have overdubs, really just a "2nd pass" where Page & Plant added another bit

I looked in an old notebook of mine to find that, and I came across a comment I'd scribbled for the March 3rd session : "You Shook Me is GREAT" Haha! Well, I think I'll go give that a fresh listen now...

Here it is: June 24th '69 BBC Top Gear

Comm. Breakdown / Trav. Riverside Blues / Whole Lotta Love / What is & what should...

June 16th '69 - Comm. Breakdown / What is & what should...

these have overdubs, really just a "2nd pass" where Page & Plant added another bit

I looked in an old notebook of mine to find that, and I came across a comment I'd scribbled for the March 3rd session : "You Shook Me is GREAT" Haha! Well, I think I'll go give that a fresh listen now...

It is great! It's my favorite version of it. The ten minute version. The harmonica (or is it harp, I don't know the difference!) solo, the organ solo, the drums, the guitar are all so great, I feel the need to stand up and applaud at the end of it!

First of all, if you're talking about the WIAWSNB from the 1969 BBC sessions, those were studio sessions and not a live concert/recording per se. There was no audience, they were done at the various BBC studios (3/3, 3/19, 6/16, 6/24) ... which obviously allowed for overdubs.

Much different, though, than the 6/27/69 and 4/1/71 concerts, which were recorded live and then cut for various reasons.

The first boot I heard of the 1971 radio show I was blown away by the start to What Is - they sounded so certain and confident - especially when you realise Plant begins it without a reference note and his pitching was spot on.

Then...Shock Horror!!! I hear a boot containing the banter in between the songs, and realise they actually stuffed up the intro - Plant had begun the song sharp!!! They had to start again!!!

What is and what we should Never Hear

Archived