What are you watching on TV now?

roblindblad

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Is it because you got hammered by the Kiwi's?

Not necessarily. I don't particularly like the T20 / Big Bash League / IPL hit and hope format. They may as well play tip and run. I prefer tests and 50 over ODI's. The final will predictably be between two of these Aus, NZ, India and maybe Sri Lanka. SA and Pakistan are a chance too, but the rest are there just to make up the numbers. 

Next January / February will be 60 years since I (at 9 years old), went to the SCG for the first time to watch Australia vs. England with my dad and uncle. Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry and Doug Walters were playing in that match.

Edited by Reggie29

3 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

Not necessarily. I don't particularly like the T20 / Big Bash League / IPL hit and hope format. They may as well play tip and run. I prefer tests and 50 over ODI's. The final will predictably be between two of these Aus, NZ, India and maybe Sri Lanka. SA and Pakistan are a chance too, but the rest are there just to make up the numbers. 

Next January / February will be 60 years since I (at 9 years old), went to the SCG for the first time to watch Australia vs. England with my dad and uncle. Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry and Doug Walters were playing in that match.

You really think that England are in the "rest to make up the numbers" as Ireland and Namibia? Current 50 over Champions whose batting line up has Liam Livingstone coming in at No.7? 

I agree with you of course. Test match Cricket is the true game.

4 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

You really think that England are in the "rest to make up the numbers" as Ireland and Namibia? Current 50 over Champions whose batting line up has Liam Livingstone coming in at No.7? 

I agree with you of course. Test match Cricket is the true game.

England are a chance too.  T20 is very different to 50 over cricket.

9 hours ago, slave to zep said:

It's a different game and I love it. 

But I love one dayers and tests too.

I love cricket.

Stop being so precious about test cricket being the one and only!

An excellent start to the super 12's. What a game yesterday between India and Pakistan? Last ball win for India against the bearded ones was a classic

On 10/24/2022 at 7:45 AM, slave to zep said:

It's a different game and I love it. 

But I love one dayers and tests too.

I love cricket.

Stop being so precious about test cricket being the one and only!

The original and the best. Enjoy it, to each their own. Btw, I'm not precious about anything and no need to be insulting.

11 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

The original and the best. Enjoy it, to each their own. Btw, I'm not precious about anything and no need to be insulting.

Yes, to each their own of course... 

Ummmm you started the insults....

"So am I but not the sham T20. I watched about 20 minutes and that was enough."

11 hours ago, slave to zep said:

Yes, to each their own of course... 

Ummmm you started the insults....

"So am I but not the sham T20. I watched about 20 minutes and that was enough."

That wasn't personal, just my opinion of the format.

Peace.

@slave to zep

@Reggie29

After the blip against Ireland, I've just watched England showing the Indians how to play 20/20 Cricket. 170 for 0 !!!!

Great stuff by the lads. India just didn't get going and bowled woefully. Pakistan in the final on Sunday - if it stops raining or does the MCG have a roof?

We were down under for the 1992 World Cup, but we were up in Cobram in Victoria picking Peaches so didn't go (thankfully). No repeat this time eh boys?

16 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

@slave to zep

@Reggie29

After the blip against Ireland, I've just watched England showing the Indians how to play 20/20 Cricket. 170 for 0 !!!!

Great stuff by the lads. India just didn't get going and bowled woefully. Pakistan in the final on Sunday - if it stops raining or does the MCG have a roof?

We were down under for the 1992 World Cup, but we were up in Cobram in Victoria picking Peaches so didn't go (thankfully). No repeat this time eh boys?

They played really well yesterday!

Go the poms!

On 11/10/2022 at 11:54 PM, chillumpuffer said:

@slave to zep

@Reggie29

No roof at the MCG and the forecast is 100% chance it will rain, so that will be a real leveler. Hopefully the Duckworth - Lewis equation won't decide the result.

Pakistan have played well to get into the final.

Since its inception the host country has never won the tournament.

Edited by Reggie29

23 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

No roof at the MCG and the forecast is 100% chance it will rain, so that will be a real leveler. Hopefully the Duckworth - Lewis equation won't decide the result.

Pakistan have played well to get into the final.

Since its inception the host country has never won the tournament.

So, if the final is washed out completely as is the real possibility of it happening with no chance of playing another day, England and Pakistan will be declared equal tournament champions. What a shame that would be.

50 minutes ago, Reggie29 said:

So, if the final is washed out completely as is the real possibility of it happening with no chance of playing another day, England and Pakistan will be declared equal tournament champions. What a shame that would be.

Should have played the final at the Marval Stadium as that has a roof and had the tournament in the summer months not the rainy season. Sharing a tournament is ridiculous

14 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Should have played the final at the Marval Stadium as that has a roof and had the tournament in the summer months not the rainy season. Sharing a tournament is ridiculous

Normally we have good weather this time of year but due to La Nina we have had unprecedented rain for the last couple of years and it looks like it'll be a wet summer as well.

Marvel holds 56k and the MCG 100k. Rather than nearly half of the spectators missing out (and possibly refunded), the ICC have decided not to move to Marvel and instead cancel the final altogether.

A lot of the ticket holders have traveled from their respective countries and interstate and paid for transport and accommodation and even if the game was postponed, they may not have been able to extend their stay only to be (potentially) disappointed if the final was indeed forfeited.

Just to be clear, the reasons I don't like the T20 concept are:

Only the "best" players are picked to play and as has been shown that while they are fine ODI and Test Cricketers some are not up to the short game because they don't have enough time to settle in and more often than not get out cheaply. Usually due to frustration in their inability to score especially during "Power Plays".

Bowlers have the same problem and with only a maximum of four overs each and only bowl one or two overs at a time can't find their rhythm and unless they are extremely lucky during the Power Plays, get belted all over the park.

I would prefer young up and coming players participated in the BBL, IPL and other T20 tournaments. The issue with the BBL is that the state cricketers play all the early games only to be dropped in favour of the international players who go on to play in the finals. The bonus points system is another thing, a team can win the game by scoring the needed runs only to be denied or progressing a position on the table because the losing side scored the bonus point(s).

Sometimes the best team doesn't win due to wet weather conditions.