road trip!

vinylcat

hey all im planning a road trip this summer from cali to the east coast-ish. no real plans yet as to where and when. im looking for ideas: where to go, what to see, etc. i have only been to a few of the states, so pretty much everywhere is up for grabs. im going with a friend of mine who mtn bikes downhill so if anyone knows of good riding trails that would help too!

any good suggestions?

• 4 years later...

I have scant memory of a road trip in Northern California around 1997 (could have been 1998). I remember I left San Francisco early in the morning and after a few hours reached the Pacific Coast. I was fascinated by an area known as the Russian River, there's even a place called Fort Ross which was actually built by the Russians.

I remember I spent several hours in the Fort Ross park, I liked the weather, it was chilly, could have been a little breeze, rain. I spoke to someone from the museum, I was intrigued by the markedly Russian character of the place, some of the fortifications had onion shaped domes made of wood.

The museum officer told me a bit of the history of the place, which I can hardly remember now. (At the time I wrote a detailed post on a web travelogue I maintained, along with photographs, but that has disappeared along with the server where the pages were hosted).

I remember he told me something about Fort Ross being the Southern-most point in a series of fortifications defending the Russian Empire that criss-crossed Kamchatka, Alaska, and I think Seattle was mentioned.

I promised myself that after the trip I would read some books about the history of Northern California, which I never did due to the lack of time and other activities, but I remember that I felt at peace in the quiet of Fort Ross and I really enjoyed the weather, there was a rare sensation of happiness.

Dang Red, I have that pic but it won't post!

I'll take a gamble at a response but which pic? :^)

My 1995 motorcycle trip went from California, thru Nevada and up to Utah and the Salt Flats. My return trip came back a slightly different way and I went through Death Valley and Yosemite. I am still amazed my bike made it. :lol:

I'll take a gamble at a response but which pic? :^)

My 1995 motorcycle trip went from California, thru Nevada and up to Utah and the Salt Flats. My return trip came back a slightly different way and I went through Death Valley and Yosemite. I am still amazed my bike made it. :lol:

I loved Death Valley!

Archived