RockAction's Fishing Thread!

Rock Action

i fish a lot but I've only ever caught 1 fish, a little blue gill.

Well hey, it's a start! :)

Bluegills are delicious. Of course it might take 5 fish to make a meal for one depending on size, but what the hell! bluegill4.jpg

I am going back up to Leech Lake this weekend. It will be the first time this year. It has been a cold spring which means the fish should be in shallow water and easier to catch. I will report back on Tuesday.

When i was a little kid, we were fishing for stripers and weakfish and my dad was teaching us how to fish with a level line reel. I had my thumb on the reel and suddenly it was spinning and i didnt lock the reel. I had a birds nest and it took awhile for my dad to get it untangled, but when i was reeling the line in and had a 13 pound weakfish on there....i was suddenly like, get the net!!!!

That's the only kind of fishing reel I use is a conventional. I level the line with my thumb and have had my share of 'bird nests' when casting. :D I still have my old Penn reels. They're indestructable. B) I loved the monster reel he used in 'JAWS'. :o

robert_shaw_2.jpg

I am going back up to Leech Lake this weekend. It will be the first time this year. It has been a cold spring which means the fish should be in shallow water and easier to catch. I will report back on Tuesday.

Say hi to the pike and walleyes for me, OK? Best of luck! :D

When fishing got boring, because of lack of fish... just lost interest ofcourse. But we have march/april weather in late may today and this week, so maybe the world really changed that much in the last few decades.

When fishing got boring, because of lack of fish... just lost interest ofcourse. But we have march/april weather in late may today and this week, so maybe the world really changed that much in the last few decades.

Yeah, fish are like birds and eat at a certain time. We were in a boat in Monterey and baking in the sun without a bite. After about 3 hours we went in for a break and when we returned the fish were tearing up our lines. Rock cod, kelp bass, ling cod and cabezone. What a stringer we had. :D

Yeah, fish are like birds and eat at a certain time. We were in a boat in Monterey and baking in the sun without a bite. After about 3 hours we went in for a break and when we returned the fish were tearing up our lines. Rock cod, kelp bass, ling cod and cabezone. What a stringer we had. :D

Ahhhh..those were the days. Not too many things taste better than fresh rockfish fillets. The lings and cabezone were really amazing. The meat in a cabezone is green when raw, but it cooks up white, firm and delicious. :D

Ahhhh..those were the days. Not too many things taste better than fresh rockfish fillets. The lings and cabezone were really amazing. The meat in a cabezone is green when raw, but it cooks up white, firm and delicious. :D

They're a beautiful fish.

B)

From what i understand, fluke fishing in the bay here is like ten minutes per spot and you just keep moving on. With gas being so expensive, it just doesnt interest me, to keep moving around looking for fish and one or two keepers...if that. Now you cant catch that many striped bass on poppers because of all the boat traffic/jet ski noise...fish are all down on the bottom now. Even the ole reliable summer snappers, just much much less of them. total bummer.

From what i understand, fluke fishing in the bay here is like ten minutes per spot and you just keep moving on. With gas being so expensive, it just doesnt interest me, to keep moving around looking for fish and one or two keepers...if that. Now you cant catch that many striped bass on poppers because of all the boat traffic/jet ski noise...fish are all down on the bottom now. Even the ole reliable summer snappers, just much much less of them. total bummer.

Yeah, not much you can do about the jet ski morons.

Stripers also come out at night. :)

Yeah, not much you can do about the jet ski morons.

Stripers also come out at night. :)

I got the shock of my life back when I was 9. I was fishing in a freshwater lake outside of Modesto, Ca. for bass and crappies. I was using a light outfit with 6 lb. line. Something grabbed my lure and started peeling line off like mad! 20 minutes later we looked down and saw a silver flash. Thought it was a world record crappie!

It turned out to be a 8 lb. striper. Damn that was fun! And tasty....

I got the shock of my life back when I was 9. I was fishing in a freshwater lake outside of Modesto, Ca. for bass and crappies. I was using a light outfit with 6 lb. line. Something grabbed my lure and started peeling line off like mad! 20 minutes later we looked down and saw a silver flash. Thought it was a world record crappie!

Striped bass run up into rivers in fresh water, one of the very few salt water fish that do. Today the stripers are fairly strong in new york, salt water and up the hudson river...because -mario cuomo enacted a law for them a long time ago now 36inch limit...and now they are back and the keeper size is 28 i think.

I worked in a house in maryland, and the owner had a pic of a big striper, he had caught it in fresh water, was fishing for small fresh water fish with a small lure and just happened to pin the striper in the lip and landed the fish on super light tackle.

Striped bass run up into rivers in fresh water, one of the very few salt water fish that do. Today the stripers are fairly strong in new york, salt water and up the hudson river...because -mario cuomo enacted a law for them a long time ago now 36inch limit...and now they are back and the keeper size is 28 i think.

I worked in a house in maryland, and the owner had a pic of a big striper, he had caught it in fresh water, was fishing for small fresh water fish with a small lure and just happened to pin the striper in the lip and landed the fish on super light tackle.

You haven't lived until you've caught a nice striper on trout gear. :lol:

Apparently someone had stocked stripers in that lake a few years prior to me catching that one. Over the years we caught quite a few in the 3-5 pound range, and back in '74 I lost one that must have been in excess of 20 pounds. I was using a 4 inch Rebel, and my drag must have been set too tight. Two of the treble hooks were straightened out! :'(

You haven't lived until you've caught a nice striper on trout gear. :lol:

Apparently someone had stocked stripers in that lake a few years prior to me catching that one. Over the years we caught quite a few in the 3-5 pound range, and back in '74 I lost one that must have been in excess of 20 pounds. I was using a 4 inch Rebel, and my drag must have been set too tight. Two of the treble hooks were straightened out! :'(

Thats so true. I've caught them on light spinning rods with popper plugs and its great. The level lining with clam bellies, or at night around bridges is nothing compared to catching them on poppers and light gear imo. I know folks can almost guarantee themselves a fish with chum and level lining, but with the two keepers that i caught on poppers, it was great...28 and a 37, 10 and 20pounds about. My dad caught a 50pounder in an inlet, at night, with a danny plug though...so there are ways to get the really big fish.

Thats amazing to me about the lakes around the country, with the stocking of fish.

My brother used to always go to the Antioch Pier (the remains of the old Antioch bridge that our company tore down). I never liked it there because the fuckin' wind never stops blowing and most of the stripers are only 10 inches long. <_<

As a kid I went with my brother when the stripers were running off the coast of Pacifica and San Francisco. That was fun to watch but I was too small to go out in the surf. An old friend came by my house one day with a 25 pounder he got surf fishing. :o

I don't even know if they still run like that.

• 2 weeks later...
Not really about fishing, but all part of the experience in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Here are some photos of Bodie, California:

bodie-rusted-car.jpgbodie6.jpgbodie_bldg-380.jpgAOB2792.jpgBeautiful-Bodie.jpg

Hey Del, I won the 'Theme Award' (Gold Rush) at the Alameda County Fair for a pic I took at Bodie.

Got a hundred bucks and a hell of a nice ribbon too. :D I'll post the pic soon once I get it scanned.

I sure miss going there. :( I love the high desert. (Bodie is 8900' elevation) :)

One time I was fishing at the Ferry Building in SF and a bunch of little black kids came up to watch me fishing. One of them then asked if I had any spare gear so he could try some fishing. So I gave him some line, hook and sinker and told him to try in one of the drain holes that's about 3x6 inches. Was he surprised (me too) when he hooked a nice rock cod and he was freakin' out. :D So I told him to calm down and just pull it up and just when he got the head of the fish up through the hole it got off the hook. :( He just stood there in shock and was pretty sad about it. I was too because it was proabably about a 2 pound rockcod. That was a fun day. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived