RockAction's Fishing Thread!

Rock Action

Those are 2 lakes that I've never been to. The coho sounds nice.

I was in a club called 'Wilderness Unlimited' and they had a property about 15 miles north of Truckee and it was where the Truckee river started and the water barely moved. But there were some HUGE trout in there including German Browns. It was such a peaceful place to camp too and on private property. :)

Man that sounds nice. That's beautiful country up there. :)

Man that sounds nice. That's beautiful country up there. :)

I was going just about every weekend from the bay area. Hunting was also allowed.

Another time I was on the rockwall at Bodega Bay way out on the end and I dropped my line down about 10 feet or so and something grabbed it and almost broke my pole, but the line gave way instead. It happened 3 times in a row. Couldn't believe it and I'm betting they were some monster lingcod. :o

Other than that nothing else bit that day and it was too frikkin' windy.

I was going just about every weekend from the bay area. Hunting was also allowed.

Another time I was on the rockwall at Bodega Bay way out on the end and I dropped my line down about 10 feet or so and something grabbed it and almost broke my pole, but the line gave way instead. It happened 3 times in a row. Couldn't believe it and I'm betting they were some monster lingcod. :o

Other than that nothing else bit that day and it was too frikkin' windy.

It's entirely possible you had a shark or ray after your bait too.

I used to catch quite a few sharks on the North Coast above Stinson Beach and upwards. Thought about stackin' them in the closet, but that's another story. ;)

My father saw a large ray, 5ft wingspan, when crabbing at night with lights...scary to think there are some big rays out there in the bay. He also saw a large shark in a main channel off jones inlet yrs ago...so sharks do swim into the bay, but i would think very few of them. In the mid 80s there was a beluga whale off the jetty at jones beach for like three weeks. We were out there everyday watching this thing. There were people diving with it, taking pictures and everything...this whale was documented as making contact with people from maryland to new york. It would come up to the side of the boat and just look at us...very amazing experience.

It's entirely possible you had a shark or ray after your bait too.

I used to catch quite a few sharks on the North Coast above Stinson Beach and upwards. Thought about stackin' them in the closet, but that's another story. ;)

I doubt they were sharks. I know how a shark bites and these were super strong tugs. :o

I do love to catch leopard sharks at night. Squid works the best. :)

leopard.jpg

I doubt they were sharks. I know how a shark bites and these were super strong tugs. :o

I do love to catch leopard sharks at night. Squid works the best. :)

leopard.jpg

That's about the ONLY thing squid is good for. Other fish won't touch it. I always used either sardines or shrimp out in the ocean. Shrimp is the best to work with, it doesn't stink like a cheap ho and it stays on the hook better. :)

Stripers go after those sardines though! Used to catch them right off the beach in Pacifica when I was a kid. linda-mar.jpg

That's about the ONLY thing squid is good for. Other fish won't touch it. I always used either sardines or shrimp out in the ocean. Shrimp is the best to work with, it doesn't stink like a cheap ho and it stays on the hook better. :)

Yep, sardines, anchovies or shrimp. Ever use the insides of a crab shell? Drives perch crazy but you have to be quick on the trigger as it's very soft. I've caught some huge pogies with it. :)

Stripers go after those sardines though! Used to catch them right off the beach in Pacifica when I was a kid. linda-mar.jpg

Wish I was at that beach.

Live bullheads at night along the SF piers also gets stripers. I lost a biggy one night at pier 28 when it got tangled up in the pilings. :( And then that time I had the smelt on and a huge striper tried to get it. :o

I'm a wishin' I was a fishin'

B)

Yep, sardines, anchovies or shrimp. Ever use the insides of a crab shell? Drives perch crazy but you have to be quick on the trigger as it's very soft. I've caught some huge pogies with it. :)

Wish I was at that beach.

Live bullheads at night along the SF piers also gets stripers. I lost a biggy one night at pier 28 when it got tangled up in the pilings. :( And then that time I had the smelt on and a huge striper tried to get it. :o

I'm a wishin' I was a fishin'

B)

I used to fish for stripers around Hunter's Point way back when. There are some inlets to the bay around there and the stripers would hang out in the currents. I lost a HUGE one there, I caught a glimpse of it before it broke my line right at the hook. Had to be about 25 pounds plus... <_<

I've tried using crab guts too, same problem. You have to cast very gently, or adios bait.

Ahhhh...wish I was a-fishin' too. Maybe tomorrow I'll go hit the river.

metolius_river.jpg

I've tried using crab guts too, same problem. You have to cast very gently, or adios bait.

Crab guts.....The Pogy's downfall!

:D

I caught one like this one time. Problem was I was fishing in a small drain hole about 3x6 inches.

Never got it out. :(

bigrick.jpg

The coloration on the one fish is pretty weird. Is the light colored one an albino version of the same species?

That's just the belly of the one on the right.

Their eyes are set really weird too.

:blink:

Flounder and halibut are colored on one side and white on the other. BOTH eyes are always on the colored side. They lay in the sand on the white side, so their colored side acts as camouflage. And with both eyes up, they can see better.

Oh shit...here comes the PC police. I just said "colored".

Fishing=ultra boring

Whenever people start talking about fishing, I just gotta get out of there. I just don't see the appeal.

Sitting and watching the bobber waiting for a bite is boring but actively surfcasting witha a lure or walking a trout creek is fun. I like to be active in my fishing, not sedentary. That would bore the heck out of me especially out away from the banks on a boat.

Fishing=ultra boring

Whenever people start talking about fishing, I just gotta get out of there. I just don't see the appeal.

I'll bet if you ever hooked a steelhead, that'd get you going. Ya gotta be patient.

B)

That would bore the heck out of me especially out away from the banks on a boat.

We used to fish in a boat along the rockwall in Monterey by the Coast Guard pier and there were so many fish in there that you'd have one on before your line even hit the bottom. It was an amazing spot. :D

I also caught my one and only salmon by the Columbia river trolling in a boat.

B)

Sitting and watching the bobber waiting for a bite is boring but actively surfcasting witha a lure or walking a trout creek is fun. I like to be active in my fishing, not sedentary. That would bore the heck out of me especially out away from the banks on a boat.

You've got the right perspective. Just sitting there picking your ass while waiting for a hit IS boring. I don't fish like that. I like fishing trout streams the best. You're always active, there's something new around every bend, and some of the best fishing is there. Especially in some of the smaller creeks. Topwater bass fishing from a boat is fun too.

I'm guessing that sitting and waiting was inbred in me as my first ever way of fishing was with a drop line on the piers. You haven't lived til you've wrestled a 5 lb. rock cod with a drop line and the total victory of getting it up on the pier. :D

I'm guessing that sitting and waiting was inbred in me as my first ever way of fishing was with a drop line on the piers. You haven't lived til you've wrestled a 5 lb. rock cod with a drop line and the total victory of getting it up on the pier. :D

I've done my share of pier fishing over the years. Might initially sound a tad boring, but there is another worthwhile activity involved in this kind of fishing.

BEER. :D

I've done my share of pier fishing over the years. Might initially sound a tad boring, but there is another worthwhile activity involved in this kind of fishing.

BEER. :D

Or WEED!! (when I used to smoke)

:)

Ah yes. I remember those days too. B)

One time at the piers we were all high and a port authority cop drove up. We panicked and threw all our weed into the bay and all he wanted to know as how the fishing was.

DOH!!!

:D

Archived