RockAction's Fishing Thread!

Rock Action

There used to be more Walleyes in Leech Lake. Now it seems to have mostly Northerns and Perch. But the Perch run large and taste good. I have fished a few different spots in my dad's boat. Then we discovered the best fishing was right near the dock! We stayed at a place near Pine Point. There is a lot of Northerns around 3 or 4 pounds but some run much larger. I never caught a Muskie but I would like to try it. The nice thing about Leech is that there is a big variety of structure----some areas could be described as "the flats" and other areas have steeper dropoffs. Walker Bay has some deep holes in it. If the lake gets too wavy the bays and irregualr shoreline helps in some areas. Closer to home sometimes I will take the family to the lakes near Lindstrom. Crowded, yes, but there are some good Bass and Panfish lakes there.

Is Lindstrom the town with that cute teapot water tower? Sorry, carry on with fishing :)

Damn, I guess you HAVE fished it! :lol:

I was fishing the outlet at Leech one time, catching these 15-18 inch pike one after another. Then as I'm getting ready to pull my lure out of the water, this big pike nabs it and the fight was on! Startled the hell outta me. When I got him finally he turned out to be an 8-1/2 pounder. :D

I used to fish Lake Phalen right there in St. Paul. There was quite a few keepable bass in there. I caught dinner a few times there. Nothing huge, just some nice fat largemouths.

There's plenty of good fishing up there.

The outlet............Federal Dam---is that where you fished at Leech? I was on the south side of the lake.

It has been a couple of years since I actually fished Leech. Last year we went to Bear Island Lake near Ely. The fishing was great the first couple of days. Then a front went through and we could hardly get a thing. Beautiful area though.

Is Lindstrom the town with that cute teapot water tower? Sorry, carry on with fishing :)

I think you are right about that, but it might possibly be in Chisago City. I should have just said I fished the lake near the cute teapot water tower instead!! You can see it from highway 8. South Center Lake near Center City is a very good lake to fish. All those lakes are right along Highway 8 and within a few miles of each other.

Any fishermen that have fished the St Lawrence River on here? Ive been fishing it for 30 yrs. Would love to catch a Musky but am not williing to go through all it takes. I was on a boat when a big one hit one day and broke the line. Good Bass, Pike, Perch fishing there.

There are some major cities on that river. Is water quality a problem?

The outlet............Federal Dam---is that where you fished at Leech? I was on the south side of the lake.

It has been a couple of years since I actually fished Leech. Last year we went to Bear Island Lake near Ely. The fishing was great the first couple of days. Then a front went through and we could hardly get a thing. Beautiful area though.

Yep, I fished below the dam. Water is really oxygenated there, fish are really lively. You could stand there and catch small pike all day until your arms ached. And once in a while-like I did-you get a surprise!

My friend Mark got a nice sailfish and dolphin (90+ lbs) at Cabo San Lucas. He had them both mounted.

Another fave spot I miss going to is the old Santa Cruz wharf. Lotsa purty girls there too. :D

I wouldn't mind living there either. :)

santa-cruz-wharf.jpg

I just realized it's been about 16 years since I've wet a line. And I live on a lake. Sad. I'm planning on starting up again this year. Anyone know where I can get some RPG's ? lol, I do need some new gear though. Any suggestions? I fish inland lakes, for bass, walleyes and pike, stuff like that.

My friend Mark got a nice sailfish and dolphin (90+ lbs) at Cabo San Lucas. He had them both mounted.

Another fave spot I miss going to is the old Santa Cruz wharf. Lotsa purty girls there too. :D

I wouldn't mind living there either. :)

santa-cruz-wharf.jpg

We musta been practically neighbors a while back! I used to hang there a lot. :)

We musta been practically neighbors a while back! I used to hang there a lot. :)

I was living in Hayward, just over the hill.

I loved riding my motorcycle there with my fishing pole stuck in my saddlebag.

B)

I was living in Hayward, just over the hill.

I loved riding my motorcycle there with my fishing pole stuck in my saddlebag.

B)

I'm from Pacifica, but I lived in Fremont for 3 years before I left the state. used to go fish Niles Canyon just for practice, and caught a few big suckers. It was a fun way to end the workday.

I was commuting from Fremont to Livermore, I passed by the creek every day. I kept fishing gear in my Jeep at all times. Ahh, fun times. B)

I'm from Pacifica, but I lived in Fremont for 3 years before I left the state. used to go fish Niles Canyon just for practice, and caught a few big suckers. It was a fun way to end the workday.

I was commuting from Fremont to Livermore, I passed by the creek every day. I kept fishing gear in my Jeep at all times. Ahh, fun times. B)

I have a friend in Pacifica. I used to shoot at the range there til they closed it up. Jerks!

My ex lives in Dublin and we did a lot of work at Livermore Lab.

Niles is really nice.

B)

I have a friend in Pacifica. I used to shoot at the range there til they closed it up. Jerks!

My ex lives in Dublin and we did a lot of work at Livermore Lab.

Niles is really nice.

B)

There was a little pizza joint in Niles I used to stop at one the way home from fishing sometimes..can't remember the name of it! Any idea?

There was a little pizza joint in Niles I used to stop at one the way home from fishing sometimes..can't remember the name of it! Any idea?

Nah, I just remember all the antique shops and the biker bar on the way to Pleasanton.

B)

Growing up my dad had a garvey and we'd go out at night and net crabs, spear eels and fluke. That's quite a fishing experience, coleman lamps lighting up the bottom of the bay on a still night. There is alot to see, turtles, crabs, jellyfish, needle fish, tons of bait fish/spearing/killies, blue fish, striped bass,fluke/flounder, dogfish, sea robbins etc. Several years later we got a 13ft boston whaler and had a honda generator and lights with mercury bulbs. We'd net crabs mostly, the eels quickly disappeared and the fluke were much less. Today there are hundreds of crab traps out in the bay, so if those arent limited there wont be any blue claw crabs left either.

The main bay off the shore of these immediate towns is called middle bay, a wide open area of water, surrounded by alot of salt marshes and creeks, sea dog creek, turtle creek, fish creek. This whole area was a world of exploring for us as kids, walking around the salt marshes finding old bottles, jumping mosquito ditches and getting all muddy, waterskiing and kneeboarding in the creeks/cuts. At low tide, we'd also dive in a channel and collect golf balls off a golf course and would sell them. Alot of fun out in the bay and great appreciation, which lead to me and my brother having salt water fish tanks for years. We'd catch everything for our tanks with a pole net and feed them frozen ground up clams.

Going fishing? Pack your passport

By Mimi Hall, USA TODAY

Rick Ungar's charter fishing service promises a great time on Lake Erie. But there's a catch — and it's not freshwater fish. It's the Homeland Security Department's new anti-terrorism rules.

When the 2008 charter season begins next month, U.S. citizens paying to fish on Lake Erie will have to bring either a passport or two other IDs if they plan to cross the northern border's invisible watery line.

When they get back to shore in the USA, they'll have to drive to a local government reporting station and pose for pictures. They won't be posing with their fish, but for Customs officers via a videophone connection.

That's because half of Lake Erie — as it happens, the half with the deeper and cooler waters that often spawn the best fishing — is in Canada. The Homeland Security Department intends to enforce new border security rules — largely focused on those coming into the country by land and air — on fishermen re-entering the country.

"How does this secure our country?" asks Ungar, a retired Cuyahoga Heights, Ohio, police chief. "I'm not insensitive to law enforcement issues, but these are fishermen, for God's sake."

lake_erie.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/enviro...6-fishing_N.htm

:( The terrorist's have won.

icefishingzy5.jpg

I live real close to Matt and Wannabe, and when we get a sunny Winter day, I really like going out and checking on the nutbags risking their life on the ice just to catch a fish. This pic is from a couple weeks ago, and there had to be a 1,000 people out on the bay fishing. I can be talked into ice fishing on a nice day, as long as two kinds of hooch are available. When I was teen, we used to drive a mile and a half out on the ice to the first ice ridges, and you could still see fools more than a mile further out driving on the ice (That's how they ran liquor from Canada during prohibition). People would just dig their hole, crack the car door, and fish from inside with the car running. Right about this time of year, the Coast Guard is kept very busy rescuing ice fishermen who suddenly find themselves floating downriver. Perch, perch, and more perch....like frickin' candy.

Going fishing? Pack your passport

By Mimi Hall, USA TODAY

Rick Ungar's charter fishing service promises a great time on Lake Erie. But there's a catch — and it's not freshwater fish. It's the Homeland Security Department's new anti-terrorism rules.

When the 2008 charter season begins next month, U.S. citizens paying to fish on Lake Erie will have to bring either a passport or two other IDs if they plan to cross the northern border's invisible watery line.

When they get back to shore in the USA, they'll have to drive to a local government reporting station and pose for pictures. They won't be posing with their fish, but for Customs officers via a videophone connection.

That's because half of Lake Erie — as it happens, the half with the deeper and cooler waters that often spawn the best fishing — is in Canada. The Homeland Security Department intends to enforce new border security rules — largely focused on those coming into the country by land and air — on fishermen re-entering the country.

"How does this secure our country?" asks Ungar, a retired Cuyahoga Heights, Ohio, police chief. "I'm not insensitive to law enforcement issues, but these are fishermen, for God's sake."

lake_erie.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/enviro...6-fishing_N.htm

:( The terrorist's have won.

That is absolutely ridiculous. And you're right. We are losing our freedoms because of those assholes.

One time I was in Texas at the Amistad dam lake by Del Rio and this guy comes to the dock and within a few casts he pulls in a 7 lb. largemouth. :huh: Made the papers and everything.

My nephew got a 9 lb largemouth last year at Clear Lake, CA.

B)

One time I was in Texas at the Amistad dam lake by Del Rio and this guy comes to the dock and within a few casts he pulls in a 7 lb. largemouth. :huh: Made the papers and everything.

My nephew got a 9 lb largemouth last year at Clear Lake, CA.

B)

Holy shit! I knew Clear Lake had some huge bass...

Speaking of which, just to the south is Lake Berryessa. I used to catch nice bass up to about 4 pounds or so, but the real draw there was landlocked coho salmon and big rainbow trout. I've caught some monster wild rainbows out of there, as well as the hatchery fish. 18-22 inches wasn't all that uncommon.

Holy shit! I knew Clear Lake had some huge bass...

Speaking of which, just to the south is Lake Berryessa. I used to catch nice bass up to about 4 pounds or so, but the real draw there was landlocked coho salmon and big rainbow trout. I've caught some monster wild rainbows out of there, as well as the hatchery fish. 18-22 inches wasn't all that uncommon.

Those are 2 lakes that I've never been to. The coho sounds nice.

I was in a club called 'Wilderness Unlimited' and they had a property about 15 miles north of Truckee and it was where the Truckee river started and the water barely moved. But there were some HUGE trout in there including German Browns. It was such a peaceful place to camp too and on private property. :)

Archived