RockAction's Fishing Thread!

Rock Action

Never been to Bodie unfortunately, one of these days I'll get there though. I've spent a lot of time around Columbia and all those towns along 49 though.

I went out of the Shaver Lake area a couple times and fished the lake itself. Just caught a bunch of small smallmouth bass. Beautiful area, but too crowded.

The Sonora Pass area is my favorite in Cal.

stanislaus_river.jpg

Yeah, Shaver lake is beautiful, but way too crowded I agree.

Went camping there a few years ago with my son and father, but there were so many jet skis and lunatics that the fishing really sucked. I actually threw a handfull of lead weights at a guy who kept trying to jump the wake of our aluminum fishing boat. And when we got back to the marina the guy comes up to us and starts an arguement... until he realized that I had a revolver holstered on my hip. Then he just flipped us off and sped away with his damn stereo playing rap music.

... peice of shit.

edited to add;

Like this one ----- Don't leave home without one!

Mvc-002f.jpg

I used to fish off the docks at Sausalito years ago, we used to own a boat and keep it harbored there. Lots of rubberlips perch and big smelt.

I also used to fish off the rocks in Pacifica and Montara. Great perch fishing, occasionally you'd luck out and hang a nice striper. Of course we'd take the old boat out and catch our share of rockfish, cabezon and lings. And when the salmon were running it was a real blast. Caught my limit of 3 one day, the little one was 12 pounds.

Ahhhhh, those were the days....

Cool!! We also took a few trips to the Farralones for deep sea but I just couldn't stop getting seasick. :blink:

One night I was fishing behind the Ferry Bldg. for smelt and they are a blast to catch with a trout rod and they fight like crazy. I had one on and all of a sudden this huge striper came up and his jaws were snapping trying to get the smelt I had. That smelt was jumping 2 feet out of the water to get away too. The bass would have wiped out my small rod. :D

Yeah, Shaver lake is beautiful, but way too crowded I agree.

Went camping there a few years ago with my son and father, but there were so many jet skis and lunatics that the fishing really sucked. I actually threw a handfull of lead weights at a guy who kept trying to jump the wake of our aluminum fishing boat. And when we got back to the marina the guy comes up to us and starts an arguement... until he realized that I had a revolver holstered on my hip. Then he just flipped us off and sped away with his damn stereo playing rap music.

... peice of shit.

That's why I haven't been there since 1994. That, and the only open camp we could find was right next to the shit house, and the fumes were terrible. :lol:

I rarely spend any time at lakes you can drive to around the Sierras. I personally prefer stream fishing with flies. And dunking a few worms in the smaller creeks early in the season is fun too.

Now lake fishing in the wilderness is a whole 'nother adventure.

Ever catch big brookies or browns at night using bass gear and a Jitterbug? Bwahahahaha....

It was shot down by someone who "just didn't get this thread" and went crying to admin instead of just staying out of the thread.

Bet he's voting for Obama too.

Anyway, here's a pic of the guy who built my 'Matchmate'.

Clark Frazier Rawson, Ohio. He's a school teacher.

mj76.jpg

Cool!! We also took a few trips to the Farralones for deep sea but I just couldn't stop getting seasick. :blink:

One night I was fishing behind the Ferry Bldg. for smelt and they are a blast to catch with a trout rod and they fight like crazy. I had one on and all of a sudden this huge striper came up and his jaws were snapping trying to get the smelt I had. That smelt was jumping 2 feet out of the water to get away too. The bass would have wiped out my small rod. :D

I tried a couple of times to go with my dad out to the Farallon islands too. BAAAAAAARRRRFFFF!!!

My stomach isn't too seaworthy. When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for a little while I used to go out and catch dolphin. (NO, not Flipper, people!! The FISH) The ocean out there was just like a rough lake. But the Pacific out here, with all those 10' swells- forget it. <_<

That's why I haven't been there since 1994. That, and the only open camp we could find was right next to the shit house, and the fumes were terrible. :lol:

I rarely spend any time at lakes you can drive to around the Sierras. I personally prefer stream fishing with flies. And dunking a few worms in the smaller creeks early in the season is fun too.

Now lake fishing in the wilderness is a whole 'nother adventure.

Ever catch big brookies or browns at night using bass gear and a Jitterbug? Bwahahahaha....

I used to hike above Lundy Lake up to this small alpine lake near an abandoned mine shaft. The Lake is above 10,000 feet so it is full of Golden Trout. We would fish at night during a full moon with little pieces of styrofoam on a hook and actually catch a bunch of these fish like that believe it or not.

Never know what will work until you try it.

I used to hike above Lundy Lake up to this small alpine lake near an abandoned mine shaft. The Lake is above 10,000 feet so it is full of Golden Trout. We would fish at night during a full moon with little pieces of styrofoam on a hook and actually catch a bunch of these fish like that believe it or not.

Never know what will work until you try it.

I'll be damned.

The Jitterbug trick only works at night-and the more moon, the better. And brookies and browns will have at 'em, but rainbows don't. I used to fish these lakes that during the day you'd only catch 8-12 inch fish max. Go out after dark with a Jitterbug and a 6-1/2'-7' medium action spinning with 12lb. test. Those same lakes all of a sudden are loaded with 14-22 inch fish. Amazing.

Cool recollections everyone, made me remember being a kid going down to the boat ramp fishing and my dad set us up with bamboo poles with bobbins for snapper fishing. It was alot of fun, until one day we noticed that everyone else had spinning poles. Ofcourse we had to have a spinning reels too and i think our record was about 90 snappers then. I was like 8,9 yrs old...but we all took it seriously, by 11 or 12 i built fishing pole holders out of pvc and clamped them with stainless hose clamps and duct tape to the sissy bar of my bike. Oh man, a six gallon bucket half full of water with killies for bait was always a balancing act. Great memories though, with those bamboo poles, casting them out on a limited line and seeing that big yellow and orange bobbin go under...alot of fun! My dad did the right thing with giving us those bamboo poles first.

I like to fish for Reds in an area called Four Bayou Pass where Barataria Bay feeds into the Gulf of Mexico past Grand Isle. When the weather is calm enough we'll go out to the rigs. Here's some nice tuna.

fattieJeff_Harris_7_23sized.jpg

Air Tuna!

IMG_2455Doug_Airbornesized.jpg

Down in Venice, Wahoo and Tuna

Catherine_Brown_Group_6_24_07sized.jpg

A Whale Shark stops by to say hello

Whale_Shark_32_ft_long_6_24_07sized.jpg

Rock you gotta take a trip down here some time, this is fishing in February and March. :D

agreed,

I like to fish for the species I like to eat, mostly walleye, perch and bluegills

All three you mentioned are outstanding. We don't have walleye out here, but when I was back in Minnesota back in the 80's I caught a few. Excellent fillets!

And though trout is my favorite, there aren't too many things that taste better than a bunch of fresh caught bluegills, rolled in cornmeal and fried along with some fried potatoes w/bacon & onions in them. Damn that's eatin', boy! ;)

Hell, I might just do that next year. :D

That looks like tons o' fun!

You don't even need a boat, plenty of charters availible. Some of the commercial guys will charter out between the shrimp seasons. Usually 4 people or more will put in and go out for the day. You can get a package with one day and weekend license all gear supplied, just bring your own beer! :beer:

You don't even need a boat, plenty of charters availible. Some of the commercial guys will charter out between the shrimp seasons. Usually 4 people or more will put in and go out for the day. You can get a package with one day and weekend license all gear supplied, just bring your own beer! :beer:

I think I can manage that... :beer:

What happened to the firearms thread???

:huh:

It was shot down by someone who "just didn't get this thread" and went crying to admin instead of just staying out of the thread.

The First and Second Amendment of the United States Constitution is not honored here. I'd say more, but I'm better off letting it go.

<_<

Bullshit.

Nope.

But I do request we let this thing go before the admins kill THIS thread! :lol:

Thanks! Now, back to the fishing... B)

If you say so (I think something ought to be said, but don't let me get anyone else into trouble)...

Actually, I do have a question. Has anyone here ever been to Cape Cod? If so, have you ever done Yankee Fishing? I have. I enjoyed it. But I wonder what the thoughts of others were.

Bullshit.

If you say so (I think something ought to be said, but don't let me get anyone else into trouble)...

Actually, I do have a question. Has anyone here ever been to Cape Cod? If so, have you ever done Yankee Fishing? I have. I enjoyed it. But I wonder what the thoughts of others were.

On the first topic, I feel the same way. But knowing we ain't gonna win.... :rolleyes:<_<

On the second, I've never been to the Northeast coast. Closest I ever got was Chesapeake Bay. And that was brief.

I would have loved to fished out that way back in the days of 60 pound stripers though!! DAMN!

I used to live in Newport,RI. for a few years when I was a kid and used to catch Mackerel off the wharf. I visited Cape Cod with my parents once and went to see Plymouth Rock and such but no fishing from there. It was very beautiful in July.

I used to live in Newport,RI. for a few years when I was a kid and used to catch Mackerel off the wharf. I visited Cape Cod with my parents once and went to see Plymouth Rock and such but no fishing from there. It was very beautiful in July.

I love Cape Cod. I used to go every summer. My mom's parents own a double cottage not far outside of Chatham on Sweetbriar Drive called the Mariner and the Surfer. It's two attached cottages. The Surfer is the smaller one-room one and the Mariner is larger with a Kitchen/Dining Room, Living Room, and 2 bedrooms. It's about a ten minute walk from Ridgedale beach, too. I love visiting it, going to the beach, and checking out Chatham. Chatham, IMO, has the greatest city square there ever was. All these awesome little stores, and no one on the planet has better fudge and chocolates then the Chatham Candy Manor.

As far as Yankee Fishing, they fish off of Nantucket Sound, and we've gotten some great meals thanks to them. My luck always switches each year. One year I'll catch 5 fish or more, the next year I'm lucky if I catch one. Granted, I've never had a great relationship with patience, so I ain't the beast fisher in the world, but yeah. I do remember one year I actually caught a great white. Not a baby, but not full-grown, either. In fact, it wasn't that big. It was heavy, though. I wanted to keep it for dinner, but I was told to throw it back, so I did. Two minutes later I caught about 6 fish in a row, and kept all of 'em. Don't ask me what, though. I don't remember.

You should definitely try it out.

I'd love to hear reviews of Yankee Deep Sea fishing from others, so if anyone here has no plans for the summer, head to Cape Cod and go fishing with Yankee. I'll post the link... feel free to delete if I'm not allowed:

http://www.capecodtravel.com/yankeefishing/

Well, I certainly like to fish. Minnesota has thousands of lakes. I can't say that I am a wonderfully talented fisherman but I am the kind of guy that is willing to stay out in the boat for hours. Some times I catch 'em and sometimes I don't. Either way I just like being out there. Trout/Salmon: Freshly prepared with butter and lemon juice----it has a delicate flavor that is really, really good. There is not a lot of places to catch them here but they are caught in Lake Superior, and the lakes and streams north of the big lake. It is also the most scenic part of the state.

Statewide, most of the lakes have Walleye, Northern Pike, Crappies, Bass, and Sunfish. Walleye is very good eating, and if you catch a big Perch it tastes just like a Walleye. I love catching Northerns. They are voracious and mean-tempered predators. They don't mess around first like some other species do. They fight like crazy and can snap your line, especially if you have a light outfit geared for panfish. If you don't play them right they will get spooked when they get near the surface or see a landing net. They'll swim straight towards the bottom at top speed and snap your line. Live bait is usually best but sometimes trolling with a Rapala with a split shot sinker about 24 inches ahead of it can do the trick, especially at night.

There used to be more Walleyes in Leech Lake. Now it seems to have mostly Northerns and Perch. But the Perch run large and taste good. I have fished a few different spots in my dad's boat. Then we discovered the best fishing was right near the dock! We stayed at a place near Pine Point. There is a lot of Northerns around 3 or 4 pounds but some run much larger. I never caught a Muskie but I would like to try it. The nice thing about Leech is that there is a big variety of structure----some areas could be described as "the flats" and other areas have steeper dropoffs. Walker Bay has some deep holes in it. If the lake gets too wavy the bays and irregualr shoreline helps in some areas. Closer to home sometimes I will take the family to the lakes near Lindstrom. Crowded, yes, but there are some good Bass and Panfish lakes there.

There used to be more Walleyes in Leech Lake. Now it seems to have mostly Northerns and Perch. But the Perch run large and taste good. I have fished a few different spots in my dad's boat. Then we discovered the best fishing was right near the dock! We stayed at a place near Pine Point. There is a lot of Northerns around 3 or 4 pounds but some run much larger. I never caught a Muskie but I would like to try it. The nice thing about Leech is that there is a big variety of structure----some areas could be described as "the flats" and other areas have steeper dropoffs. Walker Bay has some deep holes in it. If the lake gets too wavy the bays and irregualr shoreline helps in some areas. Closer to home sometimes I will take the family to the lakes near Lindstrom. Crowded, yes, but there are some good Bass and Panfish lakes there.

Damn, I guess you HAVE fished it! :lol:

I was fishing the outlet at Leech one time, catching these 15-18 inch pike one after another. Then as I'm getting ready to pull my lure out of the water, this big pike nabs it and the fight was on! Startled the hell outta me. When I got him finally he turned out to be an 8-1/2 pounder. :D

I used to fish Lake Phalen right there in St. Paul. There was quite a few keepable bass in there. I caught dinner a few times there. Nothing huge, just some nice fat largemouths.

There's plenty of good fishing up there.

Any fishermen that have fished the St Lawrence River on here? Ive been fishing it for 30 yrs. Would love to catch a Musky but am not williing to go through all it takes. I was on a boat when a big one hit one day and broke the line. Good Bass, Pike, Perch fishing there.

Archived