The Southern/Lynyrd Skynyrd Thread

I just downloaded "Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd" and, of course, it's awesome! I really like Poison Whiskey and I Ain't the One (besides the songs I've heard before), but there's not a bad song on the album. Good stuff. And thanks for the recommendations!

I know what you mean about never getting out of school...my dad just took a couple of Art History classes at community college. I'll be 24 by the time I get my bachelor's degree, and then I'm off to graduate school. All I can say is thank god I'm not a medical student... That's so cool that you rescue climbers! At least it's school for a good cause, anyway.

I just downloaded "Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd" and, of course, it's awesome! I really like Poison Whiskey and I Ain't the One (besides the songs I've heard before), but there's not a bad song on the album. Good stuff. And thanks for the recommendations!

Wow!! I remember hearing Pronounced the first time, and what an opener I Ain't The One is! Mindblowing experience. Hey, since you like Pronounced you'll have to get Second Helping too.. You can't go wrong with songs like Workin' For MCA, The Needle And The Spoon, The Ballad Of Curtis Loew, Call Me The Breeze and I Need You.. You will love it.

I know what you mean about never getting out of school...my dad just took a couple of Art History classes at community college. I'll be 24 by the time I get my bachelor's degree, and then I'm off to graduate school. All I can say is thank god I'm not a medical student... That's so cool that you rescue climbers! At least it's school for a good cause, anyway.

Well My actual job is Production Operator which includes a lot of little jobs Chemist/Climber/rescuer/

all around flunky here and there and Supervisor /Tv watcher /Computer internet user sometimes I even do work on it.Also Operate the Lifeboats and fast rescue boat.Jack of all trades master of none.

Good luck with your school I have two more verry short classes in July and one in August and then one in December the fun never ends.

Check out first and last or just buy the 4 cd box set its cool to.

Edited by alwizard03

Well My actual job is Production Operator which includes a lot of little jobs Chemist/Climber/rescuer/

all around flunky here and there and Supervisor /Tv watcher /Computer internet user sometimes I even do work on it.Also Operate the Lifeboats and fast rescue boat.Jack of all trades master of none.

Good luck with your school I have two more verry short classes in July and one in August and then one in December the fun never ends.

Sounds fun! Thanks for the "good luck." :)

Man, I am SO loving Pronounced!! I drove around blasting the heck out of it on my car stereo, which was kind of funny, considering the pretentious, avant-garde, Thai-food-and-boutiques neighborhood I was in... I doubt they hear too much Skynyrd around there.

Anyway, what I originally came here for was to comment on the lyrics. LS tends to have this reputation as a bunch of big, bad-ass, devil-may-care typical Southern types, but based on their lyrics, does anyone besides me think that Ronnie Van Zant seems like he would be just a super nice guy? He took on all these big issues like poverty and drinking and gun control, but in a really personal, totally un-preachy sort of way. For instance, on Poison Whiskey, instead of being like, "Oh, you shouldn't drink because it's immoral," he comes at it from the angle of being seriously concerned with people's health because he genuinely cares about them. Same on Saturday Night Special. I like that. I wish more bands would take that approach, instead of just telling people what to do like they're the masters of the universe or something.

Edited by Footsteps of Dawn

Ronnie Van Zant was a great lyricist, he never wrote a word down, just kept all in his head.

When Lynyrd Skynyrd signed the deal with MCA he wrote the lyrics to "Workin' For MCA" which they opened with on the party MCA held for the band and the crew. Tongue in cheek, maybe, but I'm sure the label bosses didn't know what to think about these wild southern boys.. :D

Worikin' For MCA

(Music: Ed King - Lyrics: Ronnie Van Zant)

Seven years of hard luck, comin' down on me

From the florida border, yea up to nashville tennessee

I worked in every joint you can name, mister every honkytonk

Along come mr yankee slicker, sayin' maybe you're what I want

(chorus)

Want you to sign your contract

Want you to sign today

Gonna give you lots of money

Workin' for MCA

9000 dollars, that's all we could win

But we smiled at the yankee slicker with a big ol southern grin

They're gonna take me out to california gonna make me a superstar

Just pay me all of my money and mister maybe you won't get a scar

(chorus)

Want you to sign today

Workin' for MCA

Suckers took my money since I was seventeen

If it ain't no pencil pusher, it got to be a honkytonk queen

But I'll sign my contract baby, and I want you people to know

That every penny that I make, I'm gonna see where my money goes

(chorus)

Want you to sign today

Workin' for MCA

Yeah, it's really good! I think fortune and fame never got to his head, he wrote them down home lyrics all through his short, but intense, career.

I only visit two forums on the internet, it's this forum and the Ed King forum (guitarist of Lynyrd Skynyrd). I highly recomed it if you want to read first hand information about Lynyrd Skynyrd and Ronnie Van Zant. Ed is frequently posting. He's a funny guy. Check it out at: http://forum.edking.net/

Hey cool, thanks! I'll have to check that out! That's nice of him to post on the Internet...jeez, imagine the havoc if Jimmy started posting here!

Oh, I just noticed that you asked me on the Recent Purchases thread a loooong time ago if the Kula Shaker album I got is a new one, and the answer is yes! I thought they had broken up, put out that greatest hits album, and basically sailed off into the sunset, but then a month or so ago I stumbled across the new album in the music store and was like, "Wha...?" It's good, too! I can't get enough of Second Sight.

Hey cool, thanks! I'll have to check that out! That's nice of him to post on the Internet...jeez, imagine the havoc if Jimmy started posting here!

Oh, I just noticed that you asked me on the Recent Purchases thread a loooong time ago if the Kula Shaker album I got is a new one, and the answer is yes! I thought they had broken up, put out that greatest hits album, and basically sailed off into the sunset, but then a month or so ago I stumbled across the new album in the music store and was like, "Wha...?" It's good, too! I can't get enough of Second Sight.

Thanks, I will have to check out the new Kula Shaker album. I really like the other albums they released back in the 90's.

I had met Ronnie a couple of times in the mid 70's and He was a nice guy .They all were but you really did not want to cross them because they were Southern Boys and would Fight if and when needed.Hey anybody that likes to Fish has got to be a good guy.

I had met Ronnie a couple of times in the mid 70's and He was a nice guy .They all were but you really did not want to cross them because they were Southern Boys and would Fight if and when needed.Hey anybody that likes to Fish has got to be a good guy.

That's so cool! Man, you know like everybody, heh! (I've been loving all your pics, by the way.)

Oh yeah, I'm sure they could take care of business, so to speak, if need be. I guess what I meant was that all the people who completely misunderstand Sweet Home Alabama make them out to be some sort of backwards, racist types, but of course if you know anything at all about them or their music, they're obviously not like whatever weird image of them that these people have built up in their minds. And these are usually the same PC idiots who say we shouldn't stereotype. Argh! Sorry, just had to get that out...there are way too many elitists where I live.

Speaking of which, we do have some good music believe it or not, and one band I really like that has a bit of a Southern bent is Dirty Sweet. They've got all the requisite classic rock influences (Stones, Zep), and they're definitely very similar to Skynyrd (actually, now that I think about it, the riff from their song Goldensole sounds just a little too much like Call Me the Breeze). I think they also sound somewhat like the Black Crowes (based on the little I know about them, anyway) but less...'90s-sounding. Check 'em out if you get a chance:

http://www.myspace.com/dirtysweetmusic

Edited by Footsteps of Dawn

That's so cool! Man, you know like everybody, heh! (I've been loving all your pics, by the way.)

Oh yeah, I'm sure they could take care of business, so to speak, if need be. I guess what I meant was that all the people who completely misunderstand Sweet Home Alabama make them out to be some sort of backwards, racist types, but of course if you know anything at all about them or their music, they're obviously not like whatever weird image of them that these people have built up in their minds. And these are usually the same PC idiots who say we shouldn't stereotype. Argh! Sorry, just had to get that out...there are way too many elitists where I live.

Speaking of which, we do have some good music believe it or not, and one band I really like that has a bit of a Southern bent is Dirty Sweet. They've got all the requisite classic rock influences (Stones, Zep), and they're definitely very similar to Skynyrd (actually, now that I think about it, the riff from their song Goldensole sounds just a little too much like Call Me the Breeze). I think they also sound somewhat like the Black Crowes (based on the little I know about them, anyway) but less...'90s-sounding. Check 'em out if you get a chance:

http://www.myspace.com/dirtysweetmusic

Dirty Sweet dont sound bad

Dirty Sweet dont sound bad

Glad you liked it! :)

Awesome pics as usual. Dig the ZZ Top stuff. B)

Thanks for the link to Ed King's site, Swede. There's some interesting stuff on there. I almost cracked a rib trying to keep from laughing out loud in the middle of the night after reading this one:

When I first joined Skynyrd (around October 1972), I moved in with Ronnie & his wife, Judy. That was very gracious of them and I'll always be glad that their home was my first stop in Florida. It was in their home that Ronnie came into my room, sat down on the bed next to me, put his arm around my shoulder and said "Ed...you're really the WORST bass player I've ever played with!" But the following story happened many months before that...

I had heard from the other guys about Ronnie's gag reflex. He had a strong stomach, however given the right circumstances, almost anyone can "blow chunks" (thanks, Austin).

One night the 3 of us were sitting around the television eating dinner. I sat closest to the tv set with Ronnie & Judy a few feet away. The corn on the cob was delicious. The only trouble was that I had extremely long hair and, unfortunately, one long strand of hair got caught far back in my teeth. I tried to pull it out - trying to be discreet about it. After a bit of a struggle, I finally grabbed that hair. I'll never know what prompted me to turn to Ronnie and say "Hey Ronnie....take a look at THIS!" Then I tilted my head back and slowly began to draw that long strand out of my mouth - with quite a few pieces of chewed corn STUCK to the hair. Ronnie immediately screamed "Ed you son of a bi-otch!!!!" - knocked over his tray (everything went flying) and ran to the bathroom gagging and throwing up as he went! Yup, I figured. He really DOES have a bad gag reflex.

Eeeeeww!!! :lol: Man, I don't blame Ronnie - that's gross! :P Hilarious story, though!

• 4 weeks later...

Got to meet Jo Jo Billingsly one of the Original Honkettes She was not on the plane when it crashed due to a dream about thier plane crashing.A really nice woman I had met her in the mid 70's but this was our first meeting since 76 .She has just released a gospel lp and is playing a show now and again.She is also a preacher in Alabama.She told Me that She warned them but the Show must go on.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...mp;#entry212435

Here is a link to that show there are some pictures of us together and Her onstage with JJ Muggler

also some pictures of the other Bands at the Show.

Edited by alwizard03

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
31 years ago today.........

Looking out the window, the trees are getting closer it seems.

Thinking bout you darlin'.

Adding up the cost of these dreams.

Strapped to this projectile, just a blink ago I was back in school.

Smoking by the gym door, practicing my rock-star attitude

And I'm scared shitless of what's coming next.

I'm scared shitless, these angels I see in the trees are waiting for me.

The engines have stopped now. We all know we are going down. Last call for alcohol.

Sure wish I could have another round.

And I'm scared shitless of what's coming next.

Scared shitless, these angels I see in the trees are waiting for me.

Waiting for me.

Friends in the swamp.

Friends on the ground, in the trees.

Angels and fuselage.

Angels and Fuselage

Words by Patterson Hood / Music by Drive-By Truckers

From the album Southern Rock Opera

"Set inside the plane after the engines shut down and everything went quiet. Just the sound of the wind over the wings and your own heartbeat. Again, Miss Kelly Hogan plays the part of Cassie." - Patterson Hood

Lynyrd Skynyrd is making their new albun with John 5! He of Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson? These truely are "The End Times".

New skynyrd with John 5

Well I will just be glad to hear some new material always hope something will be up to the standards of the 70's skynyrd music they have a few songs here and there that come close maybe this will be the lp that does it.

Any other Southern/ Skynyrd junkies on here???

Im goin to the Skynyrd concert on May 30th in my hometown of Lexington, KY, and ITS GONNA BE SWEET.

The only thing that could be better is if Ronnie and the rest of the gang where there =(

R.I.P Ronnie Van Zant, Allen Collins, Leon Wilkenson, Steve Gains

How's it going "LednyrdZepnyrd?" I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Day On The Green in Oakland, California in 1977. That show kicked ass! I am a BIG SKYNYRD fan. I love the songs "Simple Man" and "Freebird" because they both have so much meaning to me. Then again, I also love the song "Saturday Night Special" since it also has a lot of meaning to me. ROCK ON!

• 4 months later...

516KZxkfxRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Scheduled to release Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Authorized Bootleg: Live Winterland San Francisco 1976 CD

1. Cry For the Bad Man

2. Saturday Night Special

3. Searching

4. I Got the Same Old Blues

5. Gimme Back My Bullets

6. Tuesday's Gone

7. The Needle and the Spoon