Delays in album releases

SilverVishnu

I would say due to lp artwork delays always had problems in that area.

I know I have read about some mishaps with tapes and things. Plus it had to be infinitely harder to master things back then, especially as particular as the Zep boys were.

I think it was HOTH (??) where the mixing studio's new speakers didn't give a true sound, which forced them to find a new engineer and re-mix the songs. That would have caused a delay.

Also, we live in the digital age now. Things were done very differently then. There was no email or fax for business communication. Records were marketed differently and in addition to the well known delays about album art and mix problems, things tended to take a bit longer.

Also, we live in the digital age now. Things were done very differently then. There was no email or fax for business communication. Records were marketed differently and in addition to the well known delays about album art and mix problems, things tended to take a bit longer.

Ok, so what's Axl Rose' excuse regarding the Gunners "Chinese Democracy"?

Hi all,

I do remember reading about some problems with the colors on the Houses Of The Holy cover.

True, and talked about in another thread.Also there was VI,untitled,Zoso,where Jimmy went to mix the masters and he said: :wtf:

It delayed that albums release also,...

KB

I do remember reading about some problems with the colors on the Houses Of The Holy cover.

I know someone who was involved in the printing of the cover. The band were involved in "on-press passes", in which the customer decides whether or not the colours are right during the make ready (setting up the job: colour weights etc.) before the job is run. It took several visits before the colours were as the band envisaged.

Some colours are not obtainable with CMYK: the commercial four colour printing process standard, and may have used pantone colours to get the look they were after. Unfortunately, I've not seen this person for many years, and it didn't occur to me at the time to ask!

Other reasons for album delays were to avoid direct competition with other major bands that had albums out. Peter Grant was known to wait until the field was clear before sanctioning releases.

RB

Hi all,

True, and talked about in another thread.Also there was VI,untitled,Zoso,where Jimmy went to mix the masters and he said: :wtf:

It delayed that albums release also,...

KB

Yes, the mix for IV had to be redone. I remember Page saying the songs sounded like they were recorded "under water" so they had to be remixed. Art work was always a fight, along with not putting their name on the album (IV again), etc.

Also do not forget we are talking about major recording artists, the label´s policies allows only a few windows per year to release new stuff on that calibre i.e. springtime, before summer break, xmas etc.. and that means, if i.e. the cover art is only two days late for a deadline, they might have to wait aonther two - three months before the label considers it a good release time (and according to other big acts with nu albums)

I know someone who was involved in the printing of the cover. The band were involved in "on-press passes", in which the customer decides whether or not the colours are right during the make ready (setting up the job: colour weights etc.) before the job is run. It took several visits before the colours were as the band envisaged.

Some colours are not obtainable with CMYK: the commercial four colour printing process standard, and may have used pantone colours to get the look they were after. Unfortunately, I've not seen this person for many years, and it didn't occur to me at the time to ask!

Even today it's very difficult to get the colour you want from a printer, even with computers. So to produce something to exact specifications through photographic means is another challenge entirely.

Archived