Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

Re .Shenstone Teacher Training College 1968.

I thought I might save a bit of petrol money by emailing Worcester Archives to see if they would check The Bromsgrove Messenger for any Obstweedle gigs during the relevant period.

This is the reply-

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Obstweedle and their possible appearance at Shenstone Training College in July 1968. The Bromsgrove Messenger was the only local newspaper during that period and would have covered college stories. However, I have searched the period from the end of June through to the first week of August and have not found any reference to Obstweedle.

Not the best result..it just means that I will have to get over there at some point and check for myself..it's quite easy to miss stuff..unless of course someone on here lives in the area and has a hour to spare :-)

I can only encourage you to continue, Chris. I doubt very much anyone else is willing to give it a go as it's very time consuming and oft for not, as you know.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...

A hint at the end of Listen?-

February 1967 - would coincide with the time Robert Plant was in, then out, of the first unstable line-up of Band of Joy. Then weeks later set up a second version with Plant wearing full face paint and hippy regalia.

Meg

February 1967 - would coincide with the time Robert Plant was in, then out, of the first unstable line-up of Band of Joy. Then weeks later set up a second version with Plant wearing full face paint and hippy regalia.

Meg

Midland Beat appeared monthly at this time so the Listen "news" was probably old hat by then.

Went to Birmingham archives today and after looking for my bits and pieces I started wading through the Birmingham Evening Mail starting at January 1966..fruitless until I found this.

From BEM dated Saturday 16th April 1966-

listap66001.jpg

All the info you need for a good night including 'bus info.

Went to Birmingham archives today and after looking for my bits and pieces I started wading through the Birmingham Evening Mail starting at January 1966..fruitless until I found this.

From BEM dated Saturday 16th April 1966-

listap66001.jpg

All the info you need for a good night including 'bus info.

Nice find Blocoboy! Worth the trip :D

• 2 weeks later...

Copy of the original advert to follow but here's a date for anyone taking notes.

Sunday July 28th 1968

Foseco Sports + Social Club.

Tamworth.

Robert Plant and The Band of Joy.

From the Tamworth Herald.

Copies of the original ad have to be ordered from Tamworth Local Studies..it's a strange system..I have a couple of 'Nbetweens ads on order from a few weeks ago..the reason they are not ready?.."Jackie has been off".amazing!

That's interesting. 28th July. Plant has gone from Obs-Tweedle to Band of Joy in a space of a few days. Look forward to seeing the ad as always bloco.

Meg

Copy of the original advert to follow but here's a date for anyone taking notes.

Sunday July 28th 1968

Foseco Sports + Social Club.

Tamworth.

Robert Plant and The Band of Joy.

From the Tamworth Herald.

Copies of the original ad have to be ordered from Tamworth Local Studies..it's a strange system..I have a couple of 'Nbetweens ads on order from a few weeks ago..the reason they are not ready?.."Jackie has been off".amazing!

That's interesting. 28th July. Plant has gone from Obs-Tweedle to Band of Joy in a space of a few days. Look forward to seeing the ad as always bloco.

Meg

The date is only a few weeks before the 1st LZ gig isn't it.

Do you think the gig may have been booked as BOJ but played by Obstweedle or is my lack of knowledge showing?

The date is only a few weeks before the 1st LZ gig isn't it.

Do you think the gig may have been booked as BOJ but played by Obstweedle or is my lack of knowledge showing?

First New Yardbirds (Page, Jones, Plant, Bonham) gig was 9/7/68. It is just days before Jimmy went too see Bonham perform and only several days before their first formal rehearsal.

I do think it may have been booked as BOJ but played by Obs' tweedle. Jimmy himself said when they went to see Plant perform for first time he was "in a band called Obs' Tweedle or Hobbstweedle or something" and we know that was several days before this date. Perhaps the promoter/venue felt BOJ would pull a bigger crowd

than a new unknown band, which is the same discrimination Led Zeppelin encountered shortly afterward.

First New Yardbirds (Page, Jones, Plant, Bonham) gig was 9/7/68. It is just days before Jimmy went too see Bonham perform and only several days before their first formal rehearsal.

I do think it may have been booked as BOJ but played by Obs' tweedle. Jimmy himself said when they went to see Plant perform for first time he was "in a band called Obs' Tweedle or Hobbstweedle or something" and we know that was several days before this date. Perhaps the promoter/venue felt BOJ would pull a bigger crowd

than a new unknown band, which is the same discrimination Led Zeppelin encountered shortly afterward.

I got a little confused for a moment..gig was 9/7/68..then I realised you are a colonial..it should,of course,be 7/9/68 B)

I would be very surprised if Robert actually played that gig on 7/28/68. Most reports state that he had gone to Jimmy's boathouse by that time. I wonder if this lineup of the BoJ was the one that John Hill referenced here.

Or maybe Robert was hedging his bets -- reforming the Band Of Joy while simultaneously auditioning for Jimmy Page's new band?

I would be very surprised if Robert actually played that gig on 7/28/68. Most reports state that he had gone to Jimmy's boathouse by that time. I wonder if this lineup of the BoJ was the one that John Hill referenced here.

Or maybe Robert was hedging his bets -- reforming the Band Of Joy while simultaneously auditioning for Jimmy Page's new band?

Given that Page had only just met Robert on the 20th, and asked him to come down, this date (28th) may have been a previous booking prior, since the time span is a week or less. Intriguing though. Was Robert considering leaving Obs-Tweedle to restart up BOJ prior to Jimmy meeting him? I hope the ad sheds more light.

Given that Page had only just met Robert on the 20th, and asked him to come down, this date (28th) may have been a previous booking prior, since the time span is a week or less. Intriguing though. Was Robert considering leaving Obs-Tweedle to restart up BOJ prior to Jimmy meeting him? I hope the ad sheds more light.

I don't think it will..the only thing I have left off is the tag line "Scene 68"..remember the gig was a bread and butter appearance at a social club in the wilds of Staffordshire with a limited advertising budget.

Meg, I believe Blocoboy's research confirmed that Jimmy and Robert didn't meet on 7/20/68. He found an ad that showed that Obs-Tweedle played the Connaught Hotel in Wolverhampton on 7/20/68 (so it wasn't the "teacher training college near Birmingham" where Page saw Plant for the first time).

Blocoboy also dug up ads for 7/22, 7/27/ & (now) 7/28. All that being said, the basic premise of your comment is still true. Hopefully an ad will eventually be found for the gig that Page first saw Plant.

No joy with the BOJ ad from Tamworth yet ..but..hopefullly this lot may be of interest.-

Express and Star dated Thurs 10 March 1966..anybody got a copy of the poster

listen1966003.jpg

Dated Friday 18th March 1966..I've never come across a group called Stop!Look!Listen! so it might be a case of some clever advertising :mellow:

listen1966004.jpg

Tuesday 15th March 1966-

listen1966006.jpg

Saturday 19th March 1966..more clever word play-

listen1966005.jpg

Saturday April 9th 1966.

listen1966014.jpg

Monday 25TH April 1966

listen1966007.jpg

Saturday 7th May 1966

listen1966008.jpg

Sunday 12th June 1966

listen1966009.jpg

Saturday 11th June 1966.

listen1966010.jpg

The Guernsey dates would be a good find.

listen1966011.jpg