Achilles Last Stand: Best version

kashmiran

I downloaded a great version from Limewire. It had no ID except "Achilles Last Stand (Live, Excellent version!)". I don't think it's from '77 because it doesn't segue from Page's '77 solo. It's probably from '80, because I know it's not from Knebworth. My only complaint is that Page doesn't really go for the solo. He plays it alright, but he just doen't quite get there, you know?

I love 5-21-77 at Houston, 4-27 in Cleveland, and LTTE especially.

Say what!?! How did 4-27, '77 get on your favorites list? I have that version (but then, who doesn't :lol:) I personally don't like that version. Robert's voice cracks horribly on "To seek the man who's pointing hand...". I guess you're entitled to your own opinion though. Page's solo is pretty good on this version though, on the positive side.

I love 5-21-77 at Houston, 4-27 in Cleveland, and LTTE especially.

Say what!?! How did 4-27, '77 get on your favorites list? I have that version (but then, who doesn't :lol: ) I personally don't like that version. Robert's voice cracks horribly on "To seek the man who's pointing hand...". I guess you're entitled to your own opinion though.

I like the Cleveland version too... crack or no crack. lol

I downloaded a great version from Limewire. It had no ID except "Achilles Last Stand (Live, Excellent version!)". I don't think it's from '77 because it doesn't segue from Page's '77 solo. It's probably from '80, because I know it's not from Knebworth. My only complaint is that Page doesn't really go for the solo. He plays it alright, but he just doen't quite get there, you know?

might be Zurich 1980.

might be Zurich 1980.

Plant introduces the song like this:

"James Patrick Page..." (Long pause while Jimmy plays a few short notes)

"This is one from Presence; It's called 'Achilles Last Stand'."

Also, at the end of the song, just as they're about to stop and Page will reprise the intro sequence, Plant yells: "Yes, yes", followed by two nearly incomprehensible syllables ending in an "O" or "er" sound.

(Possibly "Never!" or "Don't Go!")

Plant introduces the song like this:

"James Patrick Page..." (Long pause while Jimmy plays a few short notes)

"This is one from Presence; It's called 'Achilles Last Stand'."

Also, at the end of the song, just as they're about to stop and Page will reprise the intro sequence, Plant yells: "Yes, yes", followed by two nearly incomprehensible syllables ending in an "O" or "er" sound.

(Possibly "Never!" or "Don't Go!")

After a long search, I have found the culprit: Frankfurt 1980. That's the version I downloaded. Now that I listen to it again, Page's solo is actually pretty good. Basically the same as the Knebworth solo from the DVD. Slight variations, though. Now I can tell you, without a doubt:

My Favourite version is: (Drumroll please)

June 30th, 1980 - The Festhalle in Frankfurt, Germany!

"The Biggest Band in the World"

"The New Yardbirds"

Now, can we please stay on topic? If you want to ask me trivia, PM me.

It's Nobs and it was named after Claude Nobs, it wasn't a sex reference.

Back on topic. 80 actually had a lot of solid versions of Achilles. I have every show from 1980 and that's the song they nailed the most in the 80 tour. There's a few bad versions though. One of my favorites is from Dortmond 6-17 where Robert jokes about it being recorded by Ted Nugent.

They were only called that once because of their first album cover. I don't think that's enough to count it.

It does count because it was for one gig. They were never The Best Band for a gig. That's just your name for them.

It does count because it was for one gig. They were never The Best Band for a gig. That's just your name for them.

It's not just my name for them. Cameron Crowe refered to them under that title a few times. The liner notes for the new TSRTS refers to them under that title. And, their Wikipedia entry does, also. That's 3 sources (Well, 2+1/2, Wikipedia isn't that reliable). Fine, then:

"The Biggest Band in the World"

"The New Yardbirds"

"The Nobs"

Now, onward to the topic at hand!

Outside of the 1979.08.04 Knebworth version, I would say Frankfurt is my second favorite. Those first few notes from Jonesy really stand out more than other performances, IMO. The second night in Copenhagen is good, as well as the ones mentioned from the LA Forum in '77.

• 3 years later...

Duck Walks & Lasers........... 5/22/77 Ft Worth, is my favorite. The 1980 versions are great and I really like the delay on Jimmy's guitar, but most that I have heard are to dry..........damn sound board recordings ! :wall:

Archived