Summer Concerts? Know of any?

"State Fair" and "Boston/Styx" pretty much says it all for me. With all due respect, I'm simply not much for nostalgia tours. Plus, I was never a huge fan of either of those bands. I'm also not much on the big "shed" tours. I'm not totally opposed to them but tend to catch local, regional and upcoming artists at the local clubs. I definitely prefer that setting over the sheds, stadiums and arenas but every so often someone comes along that I'd like to see. For years it seems there's been hardly anyone passing through the area on that level that I've cared about seeing. All of sudden this year there's several concerts I'd like to attend. Too bad it had to happen when gas prices are at an all time high.

So far I've seen Van Halen (my one exception to "nostalgia", it was a trip back in time for me since I hadn't seen them since 1979) and R.E.M. The rest of my summer tour schedule looks something like this:

Various Artists

AthFest

Friday, June 20th - Sunday, June 22nd

Athens, GA

R.E.M.

w/ The National & Modest Mouse

Saturday, June 21st

Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion at Walnut Creek

Raleigh, NC

Robert Plant / Allison Krauss

Friday, July 11th

RBC Center

Raleigh, NC

Steve Winwood / Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Saturday, July 12th

Raleigh, NC

Old 97s

Saturday, July 26th

Downtown Live

Raleigh, NC

Wilco

Friday, August 8th

Koka Booth Amphitheatre

Cary, NC

That's just a list of shows I plan on seeing and/or already have tickets for. There are many others I may decide to attend at the last minute such as Emmylou Harris, John Hiatt, Tift Merritt and several others.

You might also find this link handy:

2008's Most Anticipated Shows & Festivals

Edited by Jahfin

Nothing wrong with Plant and Tom Petty. I could have seen Plant but I passed as I have seen Led Zeppelin and Plant and Page on their own. Page with the Firm. I would not miss a Led Zepp reunion but the music they are doing just doesn't compare to me. As for Tom Petty, I wish I had gotten tickets. I think he is great. Boston didn't have alot of material but I think what they had was kick ass rock n roll. Styx too. Paradise Theatre would be on of my favoites.

Can't say I'm really a fan of Petty's but I am a fan of Winwood's so that should be a good show. I've also seen Plant solo (Now and Zen tour) but there's absolutely no similarity between that or his work with Led Zeppelin with what he's doing now so I don't think it's really fair to compare. Raising Sand is one of my absolute favorite albums in recent memory so I'm looking very forward to that concert.

I own the first couple of Boston records and saw them in concert in 1979 on a bill with Van Halen, Poco and the Outlaws (Van Halen were billed as the headliners even though the Outlaws played last). Boston were subject to boos before they even took the stage since it took at least a couple of hours for a crane to place a huge pipe organ onstage for their set. Plus, everyone was there for Van Halen and chanted for them throughout the majority of Boston's set. While their records have crystal clear production, their live show suffered greatly. Probably because fans were expecting them to somehow replicate that sound in concert.

I like Styx ok but was never a huge fan, nor do I own any of their records. The pairing with Boston strikes me as a retro/nostalgia type tour. Something (other than seeing Van Halen earlier this spring) that simply doesn't interest me at all. Not to mention neither band features hardly any original members. In the case of Boston, I believe they are touring with two vocalists; the former lead singer of Stryper and a Brad Delp soundalike. I'll pass on that.

Edited by Jahfin

Surprized to hear ANOTHER band is labeling themselves without that many original members. Very disturbing.

I don't think it's all that "disturbing" but if someone plans to go see one of these nostalgia acts and that aspect of it concerns them that much it probably is best to do a little research beforehand. Molly Hatchet toured for years with no original members. While it may be somewhat off putting it's only natural that lineups are going to change over time. However, when artists such as Boston and Styx are touring purely behind the nostalgia aspect, I doubt many fans even care or even notice since they just wanna hear the hits they're accustomed to from classic rock radio. They could give a shit about who's in the band, they just want to hold up their lighters (or these days, cellphones) when they break out Come Sail Away or any of their other hits that have been worn into the ground over the years.

I would have to think Tommy Shaw and the keyboard player/singer, can't remember his name would be there for Styx? I like both bands. I looked but couldn't yet find which members are going to be there?

Styx' current line up is listed on their official website here.

I always wanted to see Dylan and am tempted to see him.

I haven't seen him in concert since 2000 but then he was very good. His concerts have always been hit or miss (I understand they're more "miss" these days) but if you want to see him I suggest doing it while you still have a chance.

I would think it would get rid of some stress?

Here are my concert stressers..

1. Sitting next to a bigger douche bag than myself.

2. Parking.

3. Traffic to and fro the venue.

4. Worries about the band sucking.

5. Getting home at a reasonable hour to walk the dog.

Quite frankly, I don't even care anymore.

2. Parking.

Don't forget $4.00 a gallon gas. Ticketmaster surcharges.$50.00 T-Shirt.Best to wait and just buy the Video at best buy.

Many concerts are upcoming this summer. One that has my attention will be at the NY State fair and is Boston/Styx. Not a bad combo in my opinion.

I'm going to that one too Summerbreeze. Neither band were in my top favorites, never bought any of their albums, but I like their music well enough and since they're playing in a city park just 3 miles from my home I figured it would make for a nice summer's evening.

2. Parking.

I understand what you're saying Jethro Tull. The traffic is the biggest stresser for me. That's why I'm so selective in the concerts I attend -- they have to be close to home, like at the park (above) or the winery (CSN&Y) or within a block of my hotel when I travel out of town (Rush). :)

Edge Fest!!! buddy...Canadian stuff.

I have to say though...If it's at Downsview...I want cases of water...cases

At The all so famous "Sars Stock", people were launching cases from flat beds...disaster. reminds me of visions of what i see on the supplyment with "Aid" to Myanmar. ohhh plus....naked women getting booked for dancing naked on top of Port-A-Pottty's( B) ) . Also, bear in mind that we got the toppless freedom thing going on here(Wasaga..."The Island")...to some it all up

Some Crazy Shit!!!

this summer :

Deep purple

Australian Pink Floyd Show

Neil Young

Santana

Alvin Lee

Nostalgia ?

Maybe , but great music!

You Suck :D I am just so jealous tell Alvin Big AL said to gets his arse down to Louisiana soon.

"State Fair" and "Boston/Styx" pretty much says it all for me. With all due respect, I'm simply not much for nostalgia tours. Plus, I was never a huge fan of either of those bands. I'm also not much on the big "shed" tours. I'm not totally opposed to them but tend to catch local, regional and upcoming artists at the local clubs. I definitely prefer that setting over the sheds, stadiums and arenas but every so often someone comes along that I'd like to see. For years it seems there's been hardly anyone passing through the area on that level that I've cared about seeing. All of sudden this year there's several concerts I'd like to attend. Too bad it had to happen when gas prices are at an all time high.

So far I've seen Van Halen (my one exception to "nostalgia", it was a trip back in time for me since I hadn't seen them since 1979) and R.E.M. The rest of my summer tour schedule looks something like this:

Various Artists

AthFest

Friday, June 20th - Sunday, June 22nd

Athens, GA

R.E.M.

w/ The National & Modest Mouse

Saturday, June 21st

Raleigh, NC

Robert Plant / Allison Krauss

Friday, July 11th

RBC Center

Raleigh, NC

Saturday, July 12th

Raleigh, NC

Old 97s

Saturday, July 26th

Downtown Live

Raleigh, NC

Wilco

Friday, August 8th

Koka Booth Amphitheatre

Cary, NC

That's just a list of shows I plan on seeing and/or already have tickets for. There are many others I may decide to attend at the last minute such as Emmylou Harris, John Hiatt, Tift Merritt and several others.

You might also find this link handy:

2008's Most Anticipated Shows & Festivals

I would love to go to this one:

Saturday, July 12th

Raleigh, NC

Oh yeah, Petty & Winwood..... :)

They'll be in Denver at The Mile High Stadium.

* crossed fingers *

I belong to a few concert sites that cater to who you like and your area. Like JamBase and AEG, United Concerts, a few more I can't think of right now.

I'm going to Way Out West, in Gothenburg, Sweden in August. Among the artists are:

Neil Young

The Sonics

Sonic Youth

Iron & Wine

Mando Diao

Grinderman

Franz Ferdinand

The Flaming Lips

The National

Lykke Li

N.E.R.D.

Sahara Hotnights

..and a bunch of other acts.

2. Parking.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwww Jeez, man - that one hit me right in the diaphram!

A friend e-mailed me a link for the Journey/Cheaptrick/ Heart tour. I think that Heart not doing the whole tour? I barely glanced at the link because I know that I don't have the money for the tickets. Gas and hotel wouldnt be too bad because we would carpooling and sharing a room but still. :(

I've already bought tickets to the Whitesnake & Def Leppard concert (July, 8th) and I'll probably go to Iron Maiden (August, 4th) and Metallica (July, 23rd) too. And Judas Priest (July, 11th) sounds good too :D .

Edited by Xtazy

July 20th Charlotte - RUSH

2nd to last show of the 2nd leg of their Snakes and Arrows tour.

Saw 'em in Charlotte last June - un-fuggin'-believable!

28 songs with an intermission.

REALLY looking forward to this one!

I'm thinking about going to see Lynyrd Skynyrd and Hank Williams, Jr. next month, but it's pretty expensive... That's one heck of a combination, though. Hmm. See, the rest of the tour dates are with Kid Rock, and there's NO WAY I would go if he was playing at this show (you couldn't drag me to one of his concerts unless, by some tragic twist of fate, he was opening for Led Zeppelin...the horror!), but for some weird, awesome reason we get Hank Jr. instead.

So how good is "Skynyrd" these days? It feels a little silly to pay $75 to see what is basically a LS cover band, but 20 years from now I don't want to be beating myself up that I had the chance to at least see one version of them and didn't do it. And Jr.'s going to be there, besides. So whaddya think, guys? Yea or nay?

I'm going to Way Out West, in Gothenburg, Sweden in August. Among the artists are:

Neil Young

The Sonics

Sonic Youth

Iron & Wine

Mando Diao

Grinderman

Franz Ferdinand

The Flaming Lips

The National

Lykke Li

N.E.R.D.

Sahara Hotnights