KNEBWORTH 79

zofo

The Knebworth shows were important and significant as far as the band's history goes, but performance-wise, I wouldn't put them even in the top 50 or 100 shows I've heard. Again, just my opinion.

wow. i havent seen many boots, so i just love knebworth ( as seen on DVD ), cant imagine it getting any better than that! what have i been missing all these years? arrrrrgh

The 2nd Knebworth show wasn't that great. But the first one is one of the best shows they ever put on. You can't really get a much better 3 and half hours.

Knowing some of your Zeppelin bootleg pedigree I find Knebworth an interesting choice for a listener as discerning as you, Nick. I agree the first date was better than the second. I also agree with a reviewer in 1979 who stated the band alternated between playing brilliantly and erratically. IMHO 'DVD' misrepresents Knebworth, Page used only the finest moments of the shows. No harm, no foul, I mean what bandleader wouldn't have?

Knowing some of your Zeppelin bootleg pedigree I find Knebworth an interesting choice for a listener as discerning as you, Nick. I agree the first date was better than the second. I also agree with a reviewer in 1979 who stated the band alternated between playing brilliantly and erratically. IMHO 'DVD' misrepresents Knebworth, Page used only the finest moments of the shows. No harm, no foul, I mean what bandleader wouldn't have?

I just love the power from that show. It's not bad technically like a lot of shows from 77 on were. And Robert's vocals were much better than in 77. I like how the DVDs did remaster stuff and realeased some popular stuff. But the way it was edited. Why not just release all those shows individually with it? But that's just an issue I have with the DVD release.

As far as the Copenhagen shows being better than 8-4 Knebworth, I just disagree. Maybe a few songs are better. But I like the energy in Knebworth better. I like the overall sound better on 8-4. It's probably not as good as a few concerts they ever did. But it's one of my favorites.

Knebworth was basically four tired guys trying to get it back together again in public.

Yes, there were many, many cheerful people. But there always are many, many cheerful people at Oldies but Goldies-concerts.

No impact at all.

Ok now blast me! B)

No blasting from me, I'd just like to ask how tired could they be, having last toured two years prior? You've got to keep the Knebworth Festival concerts in their proper context to fully appreciate them -- there were many, many cheerful people because the clouds of uncertainty concerning the band's future had cleared. They were back at last!

As far as the Copenhagen shows being better than 8-4 Knebworth, I just disagree.

In Zeppelin's oeuvre Knebworth is a weak link. The second Copenhagen gig was the best show the band played after 1977.

Without a molecule of smugness or disrespect I must disagree of your assessment of the 1977 tour too. I don't care what any bootlegs sound like, that tour kicked ass. I witnessed them in Houston, the night Nobody's Fault But Mine became my favorite song ever recorded. And I'd thought '73 was hot.

I know this is a can of worms before I even say it but 1975 was the low point of American tours as far as I'm concerned.

listen to the knebworth boot again,its so fucking good your just crazy. Your opinion on this is about as screwed up as your avatar...no disrespect, but really dude 77 sucked except the LA shows.

listen to the knebworth boot again,its so fucking good your just crazy. Your opinion on this is about as screwed up as your avatar...no disrespect, but really dude 77 sucked except the LA shows.

Did you see any 1977 Zeppelin shows? Did you ever see Led Zeppelin when John Bonham was alive? If the answer is no then I must rest my case.

And don't be ripping on my avatar. Git yo'self sum kultur, mayne, that's landmark modern architecture in Prague: the Dancing House. Google it. It's easier to understand than live Led Zeppelin shows you never attended.

Peace out, d.

Did you see any 1977 Zeppelin shows? Did you ever see Led Zeppelin when John Bonham was alive? If the answer is no then I must rest my case.

And don't be ripping on my avatar. Git yo'self sum kultur, mayne, that's landmark modern architecture in Prague: the Dancing House. Google it. It's easier to understand than live Led Zeppelin shows you never attended.

Peace out, d.

I'm just making a comparison, don't say bad shit about the knebworth concert my dad was there and you weren't.

I'm just making a comparison, don't say bad shit about the knebworth concert my dad was there and you weren't.

C'mon, homey, I wanna be friends with all my fellow zepileptics up in heah.

What the fuck good is a forum that you can't agree to disagree in? Please show me where I said anything 'bad' about Knebworth. We're not havin' an argument, we're havin' a discussion.

Let's smoke the peace pipe and talk. What do you think is great about Knebworth but is lacking in 1977? Ball's in your court, my friend.

C'mon, homey, I wanna be friends with all my fellow zepileptics up in heah.

What the fuck good is a forum that you can't agree to disagree in? Please show me where I said anything 'bad' about Knebworth. We're not havin' an argument, we're havin' a discussion.

Let's smoke the peace pipe and talk. What do you think is great about Knebworth but is lacking in 1977? Ball's in your court, my friend.

The power, raw power, the emotion, the heroin Sobriety (At least the 4th). I guess I have to much ethanol in my system I'm sorry i was sort of a jerk.

I guess I have to much ethanol in my system I'm sorry i was sort of a jerk.

Ethanol, ha!, I like that---I'm currently suffering from a similar affliction.

Let's get some perspective about Zep in '77 and '79. When the first leg of the 1977 tour ended on 4-30-77 Zep went back to Albion for three weeks before returning to Ameriker (Percy's pronounciation) and during that time in England they checked out some of the very first punk bands (i.e. The Damned; Page loved their drummer Rat Scabies so much Rat was Jimmy's first call for drummer of The Firm.) England had 'punk,' the record company suits sanded the rough edges off punk and America had 'new wave.' The punks in England deplored Zep in the press but sucked up to members of LZ in private when the NME wasn't looking. In England in the late 70s punk overthrew the orchestral structured rock virtuosos from the Zeppelin-Floyd-Genesis school (that didn't happen in the USA.)

My opinion is Zeppelin went to Knebworth with the notion they could make everyone forget about punk and they didn't succeed. They got crucified in the English press.

IMO, dare I say it, I would have died just as happy had I not came about this performance.

I would probably pick every single 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972 & 1973 show before Knebworth, had I had the chance to obtain/listen to all of them.

I must say though, I haven't heard/seen Knebworth since I really became a huge fan, so I think another listen is in order.

For now though, lets just say I'm just partial to the early years.

IMO, dare I say it, I would have died just as happy had I not came about this performance.

I would probably pick every single 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972 & 1973 show before Knebworth, had I had the chance to obtain/listen to all of them.

I must say though, I haven't heard/seen Knebworth since I really became a huge fan, so I think another listen is in order.

For now though, lets just say I'm just partial to the early years.

there are some really terrible shows from 73..but liking the early years is your thing i guess.. :P

No blasting from me, I'd just like to ask how tired could they be, having last toured two years prior? You've got to keep the Knebworth Festival concerts in their proper context to fully appreciate them -- there were many, many cheerful people because the clouds of uncertainty concerning the band's future had cleared. They were back at last!

And the British music scene couldn´t care less. B)

But, Steve, you are right, it´s always important to see the bigger picture. The shows were important. For the band.

Still, seeing Jimmy fighting his way through the songs being barely able to play the stuff he just winged a few years ago makes me sad. :(

Robert was 31!!!! And he looked like 40. Same with Bonzo.

Those guys were tired of being Led Zeppelin (as it used to be)!

And the British music scene couldn´t care less.

Still, seeing Jimmy fighting his way through the songs being barely able to play the stuff he just winged a few years ago makes me sad.

Robert was 31!!!! And he looked like 40. Same with Bonzo.

Those guys were tired of being Led Zeppelin (as it used to be)!

Cliched as it sounds, they weren't hungry anymore. Popular musicians (and sports figures) often devolve and lose their edge once they become coddled millionaires. I'm not knockin' it, wish I had the same problem.

there are some really terrible shows from 73..but liking the early years is your thing i guess.. :P

:o Such as....

I think it's amazing to listen to something like the 73 European tour knowing this is the same band that was on stage 8/11/79. Even with Plant vocals in a state of change, 73 dominates Knebworth IMHO.

:o Such as....

I think it's amazing to listen to something like the 73 European tour knowing this is the same band that was on stage 8/11/79. Even with Plant vocals in a state of change, 73 dominates Knebworth IMHO.

The march tour and MSG shows were great but the rest ill pass and take knebworth any day :D

I'm gonna sum up my feelings about every year ever, right now:

1968 - Probably great, but since I have no real boots (lots of fakes though) I don't know.

1969 - Awesome.

1970 - No word can truly describe the raw awesome-ness.

1971 - KING.

1972 - Consistent enough, I guess.

1973 - Excellent comeback from the somewhat sketchy-ness (IMO) of '72.

1975 - GOD. Scratch that. RULER OVER GOD.

1977 - F'cked up. Only LA was any good.

1979 - 50/50. 4th is second only to '75.

1980 - AAAAAH! THE HORROR, THE HORROR!!!!!! OH, THE HUMANITY!!!! OH THE RAW SLOPPINESS!!!!!

2007 - Scratch what I said about '79. THIS is second only to '75.

75 was great for the band, but Roberts vocals suffered that year. But the rest of the band may have been at their best.

Early 73 was a great time also. They didn't have many shows the first half of the year. But you could tell Roberts vocals weren't the same as early as late 71 maybe. 69 and 70 are the best 2 Zeppelin years overall if you listen to the performance. 77 is by far the worst. 80 was much more consistent than 77.

Archived