KNEBWORTH 79

zofo

First, WHICH Knebworth show? There were two, you know?

Second, how much live Zeppelin have you heard to anoint this show as the best? Because many, many, many will argue that the best show would have come from the 69-73 period.

and i dont need to give my credentials but been listening to zep for 35 years so i think i qualify to comment lol

Fair enough...always gotta ask when you see a facebook link these days ;)

Good show, but personally not even in my top 15. Then again, I'm much more a 1970 guy myself!

Fair enough...always gotta ask when you see a facebook link these days ;)

Good show, but personally not even in my top 15. Then again, I'm much more a 1970 guy myself!

you seem like a tough guy to please I, myself love the knebworth concert, i think they trump a good part of all their shows.

The best shows for me generally are from '75. There was just something magical about that year I think. My top 10 shows would be:

1. March 19, 1975 - Vancouver, Canada

2. May 25, 1975 - Earl's Court, England

3. August 4, 1979 - Knebworth, England

4. April 28, 1977 - Cleveland, Ohio

5. May 24, 1975 - Earl's Court, England

6. January, 1969 - San Francisco, California (Any of these shows are good)

7. January 9, 1970 - Royal Albert Hall, England

8. September 12, 1968 - Stockholm, Sweden

9. July 29, 1973 - New York City, New York

10. July 7, 1980 - Berlin, Germany

'Nuf said! B)

you seem like a tough guy to please I, myself love the knebworth concert, i think they trump a good part of all their shows.

Nah not hard to please -- like I said, I'm just partial to early stuff. Everyone has their things, really. I love the '70 tour, especially the 9/19 evening show in NYC - which I think might be their best ever. I love the last week of the first leg of the '73 tour - Dallas, Fort Worth, Denver, San Diego, LA, San Francisco. I love Vancouver '75 and its experimental nature. Toss in 8/31/69 in Dallas and the show two years later in Orlando, the epic Seattle '72 gig....

OK, so I like Zeppelin live a lot. But like I said, every person who loves live Zep has their shows and years which they like more than others.

I'm partial to the '77 shows... only because I love ALS live, and like BOE included in the acoustic set. Musically, I know it wasn't their best tour, but there's a feel about it that I just really like.

8. September 12, 1968 - Stockholm, Sweden

There's only one known recording from 68 from Washington.

If the labels on this recording are to be believed, it's from Stockholm, Sweden '68. (Although, I will say that in my experience, some boot labels are less than truthful)

Here's the set, correct me if the date is wrong:

Train Kept-A Rollin'

As Long As I Have You

Dazed and Confused

You Shook Me

How Many More Times

White Summer

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Pat's Delight (Moby Dick)

Whole Lotta Love

Communication Breakdown

I Can't Quit You Baby

Based on audio quality, CB and I Can't Quit You are sourced from a different show than the rest.

I don't think they ever played Train then ALAIHY. You probably have a fake. I've been looking for boots for years and have only found 1 show from 1968. One other was a fake. This one is probably a fake also.

Copenhagen 7/24/79 is IMO, a much better performance than Knebworth,

particularly Page.

His soloing is just obviously way beyond anything done at Knebworth or even much of the '77 tour, for that matter.

Perhaps one of their most underrated or overlooked performances.

Copenhagen 7/24/79 is IMO, a much better performance than Knebworth, particularly Page.

His soloing is just obviously way beyond anything done at Knebworth or even much of the '77 tour,

for that matter. Perhaps one of their most underrated or overlooked performances.

Oh yes, quite true, the 2nd night in Copenhagen was much better than their Knebworth performances.

I don't think they ever played Train then ALAIHY. You probably have a fake. I've been looking for boots for years and have only found 1 show from 1968. One other was a fake. This one is probably a fake also.

Yea Nick it's a fake. it's a combo of the Filmore show and the Playhouse from April and June of 69.

Yea Nick it's a fake. it's a combo of the Filmore show and the Playhouse from April and June of 69.

Yep this one always throws the new collectors off when it pops up on various sites... been around for years.

ICQY usually followed Train Kept A Rollin, if that doesn't happen, automatic investigation.

As for the topic at hand - every one of my top 10 favorite shows are 1973 and before, if not my top 25. Guess I'm partial to the early years. The only exception would be 1975-02-12.

Plant's voice IS in great shape for that run but...It's just not really in the top ten for me.

Think about all those great shows from 1969 like the San Francisco shows (esp. the April run) or the Texas Pop Fest. Or the LA or NY '70 shows. What about the tour of Japan in '71? Tour of Australia in '72? Germany '73? Ever heard the "new" Southampton '73 or New Orleans '73? How about Seattle or Vancouver '75? Earl's Court? Any LA '77? I like Frankfurt '80 too!

Dang! there sure are a lot of good Zep shows to hear!!

I've just consulted the best authority on bootlegs I've ever met, an old friend of the family. Been a Zepp fan since '69, he has a HUGE boot collection. He has just informed me that this is a fake, sourced partly from Fillmore West, partly from the Playhouse Theater. (Oops, I just realized someone else on here just clarified that) In any case, the biggest proof is that some songs on here (about half) are identical to my various Fillmore West '69 bootlegs (OK, maybe not various-I have 3)

Anyway, thanks for your help correcting me on this.

Now, back on topic:

COPENHAGEN is much better than KNEBWORTH in most respects.

There are just so many solid shows that are great shows. There's a good reason it's the most bootlegged band ever. There's so many good boots out there. 3-19-75 is a great one.

3.19.75 is the best one ever, IMO. It's my favourite boot.

Knebworth was basically four tired guys trying to get it back together again in public.

Yes, there were many, many cheerful people. But there always are many, many cheerful people at Oldies but Goldies-concerts.

No impact at all.

Ok now blast me! B)

Archived