Sound Quality in Unofficial Releases

Dirigible

Do you listen to bootlegs more than official album releases? I thought so. Me too.

In our forum I've seen numerous fans who have hundreds of bootlegs. Personally I have about a hundred but I could have far more than that if I wanted. But I'm a snob. I want to only listen to the creme de la creme of pirated recordings of Led Zeppelin, give me a Cadillac over a Geo anyday. Out of my collection only about 30 or 40 are really worth the listen. A soundboard doesn't guarantee excellence, the same as an audience recording isn't always bad.

The stalwart bootlegger Mike Millard recorded the famous "Listen To This, Eddie" and "For Badgeholders Only" bootlegs on a $2000 Japanese stereo recorder with top-of-the-line microphones smuggled into concerts in a wheelchair. "Eddie" is the superior recording, Millard must've had a better seat. For years I listened to "Badgeholders" before I noticed it was all Jones, Bonham and Plant, unless Page was playing a lead all his comping and riffing borders on inaudibility. It really began to bug me and the only thing I listen to now on "Badgeholders" is the fantastic version of No Quarter, fortunately Page's guitar is audible. I took my vinyl copy to a recording studio a friend has; he taped and remixed it trying to bring up the guitar to almost no avail.

Overall the first nuance that gets lost on poor recordings is bass drum definition, followed by the bass. A good bass drum sound hits you in the chest more than your ears distinguish it. If you have to strain to hear the lows, that's not good. The next link lost in the chain of sound quality is on the high-end: inaudible cymbals, especially hi-hats, high guitar notes clipped.

An excellent recording enables the listener to hear every instrument clearly but it must have a full and robust sound with dynamics. The April 27, 1977 Cleveland show, albeit a soundboard with all musical voices clearly audible, is a static and thin recording. By contrast the February 16, 1975 soundboard from St. Louis is a delight to the ears, so is the Mobile May 13, 1973 soundboard although woefully incomplete. The May 26, 1977 Landover soundboard is also about as good as it gets.

As the seventies wore on technology got better, but '70-'75 really suffered because of the infancy of the cassette recorder. In my experience you could openly carry a tape player into a concert until about 1974. At any rate it is these faraway boomy mono cassette tapes that sound like they were recorded under a blanket that I refuse to listen to. I don't care how good the performance is! The Trademark of Quality label's "Blueberry Hill" is a good example of what I'm talking about. Vocals and guitar are way up front but Bonzo's drums sound like bongos, dinky cymbals, and unless Jones is playing keyboard you can't hear him. The same show released on Rubber Dubber was obviously recorded from a better vantage point with a better recorder, it sounds fine. The 3-CD set of the August 21, 1970 spirited concert in Tulsa cost me $30 and sounded like it was recorded from the parking lot.

But I'll pay the price for my snobbery and won't listen to it a second time.

There's a few that are such good performances that the sound really doesn't matter. 8-15 Yale and Bath festival 6-28 of 1970. Those aren't great sounding boots as far as recording goes but you can tell the band is just on fire and sounds really good in these despite the poor quality. 69 has a lot of sub par recordings where the band was on fire. There's only a hand full of soundboards from that year.

The best audience recordings to me are much better than the best soundboards. For example in 1971, I find myself listening to the November 1971 shows, or the Copenhagen 5-3 show, than Hampton 9-9 or Orlando 8-31 and that are soundboards.

There's a few that are such good performances that the sound really doesn't matter. 8-15 Yale and Bath festival 6-28 of 1970. Those aren't great sounding boots as far as recording goes but you can tell the band is just on fire and sounds really good in these despite the poor quality. 69 has a lot of sub par recordings where the band was on fire. There's only a hand full of soundboards from that year.

The best audience recordings to me are much better than the best soundboards. For example in 1971, I find myself listening to the November 1971 shows, or the Copenhagen 5-3 show, than Hampton 9-9 or Orlando 8-31 and that are soundboards.

if its bad quality i pitch it ....seriously

That Tulsa show just happens to include one of the greatest versions of 'Heartbreaker' you'll ever find. Soundboard tapes are still popping up, you just have to keep hope alive. I know what you mean, in fact I was listening to one the other day that I'm SURE actually WAS recorded outside the venue! But until another source surfaces, it's that or nothing. Sure, we wish good ol' Mike Millard followed the band everywhere but that's not the case. I'm just glad he DID record those Forum & Long Beach shows. San Berdu '69, by contrast, awful.

I pretty much stick to soundboards, and I'm partial to the '75 tour. For whatever reason, the soundboards from '77 are just too...hollow or something. The vibe isn't quite as good. As for '73...a lot of those shows (or at least the ones I have) seem to have minor glitches.

I definitely listen to the top soundboard shows more than the studio recordings. 2-12-75, 2-16-75, 3-5-75, 3-15-75...great stuff.

I have hundreds and hundreds "unofficial releases" (not just Zeppelin). I have a few vinyl boots, none of which are particularly spectacular. The majority of my collection is on CD-R, all of which are lossless audio copies (this is mandatory... no mp3!) on high-quality Japanese media stored in plain paper envelopes w/ the respective band name and show date/location on the front, and the setlist on the back.

Whenever I get a new recording, I make it a point to listen to it all the way through no matter how jacked-up it sounds. If I find I dig it, I keep it off to the side with the rest of the gems on my "special rack" B) . If it sucks, I tuck it away in a shoe box or wherever else I can find to store it (probably to never see the light of day again). I always do this though because you never know what you might come across in the middle of a show (some of my favorite live moments are on the shittier bootlegs).

My buddy used to work at a record shop, and he was able to get me an old display rack for cd's. Someday I will get around to printing out the album artworks and getting jewel cases for all of my favorites, I think it would be a pretty neat way to show off the collection, but theres no time for that kind of thing right now. I really need to get organized though because I literally trip on stacks of recordings when I'm in my room. I hope to archive them all by show date someday as well, and not just have them floating randomly around in shoeboxes.

As far as sound quality goes, really I have no preference. If the show is historical in some way (i.e. first recorded show, rare performances of songs, notorious performances), I get it no matter if all you can hear is the tape whirring around and some high end hiss. For all other shows, I have no preference between audience or soundboard... I really just want to have them all, which coincides quite nicely with me having mild O.C.D.

Do you listen to bootlegs more than official album releases? I thought so. Me too.

In our forum I've seen numerous fans who have hundreds of bootlegs. Personally I have about a hundred but I could have far more than that if I wanted. But I'm a snob. I want to only listen to the creme de la creme of pirated recordings of Led Zeppelin, give me a Cadillac over a Geo anyday. Out of my collection only about 30 or 40 are really worth the listen. A soundboard doesn't guarantee excellence, the same as an audience recording isn't always bad.

The stalwart bootlegger Mike Millard recorded the famous "Listen To This, Eddie" and "For Badgeholders Only" bootlegs on a $2000 Japanese stereo recorder with top-of-the-line microphones smuggled into concerts in a wheelchair. "Eddie" is the superior recording, Millard must've had a better seat. For years I listened to "Badgeholders" before I noticed it was all Jones, Bonham and Plant, unless Page was playing a lead all his comping and riffing borders on inaudibility. It really began to bug me and the only thing I listen to now on "Badgeholders" is the fantastic version of No Quarter, fortunately Page's guitar is audible. I took my vinyl copy to a recording studio a friend has; he taped and remixed it trying to bring up the guitar to almost no avail.

Overall the first nuance that gets lost on poor recordings is bass drum definition, followed by the bass. A good bass drum sound hits you in the chest more than your ears distinguish it. If you have to strain to hear the lows, that's not good. The next link lost in the chain of sound quality is on the high-end: inaudible cymbals, especially hi-hats, high guitar notes clipped.

An excellent recording enables the listener to hear every instrument clearly but it must have a full and robust sound with dynamics. The April 27, 1977 Cleveland show, albeit a soundboard with all musical voices clearly audible, is a static and thin recording. By contrast the February 16, 1975 soundboard from St. Louis is a delight to the ears, so is the Mobile May 13, 1973 soundboard although woefully incomplete. The May 26, 1977 Landover soundboard is also about as good as it gets.

As the seventies wore on technology got better, but '70-'75 really suffered because of the infancy of the cassette recorder. In my experience you could openly carry a tape player into a concert until about 1974. At any rate it is these faraway boomy mono cassette tapes that sound like they were recorded under a blanket that I refuse to listen to. I don't care how good the performance is! The Trademark of Quality label's "Blueberry Hill" is a good example of what I'm talking about. Vocals and guitar are way up front but Bonzo's drums sound like bongos, dinky cymbals, and unless Jones is playing keyboard you can't hear him. The same show released on Rubber Dubber was obviously recorded from a better vantage point with a better recorder, it sounds fine. The 3-CD set of the August 21, 1970 spirited concert in Tulsa cost me $30 and sounded like it was recorded from the parking lot.

But I'll pay the price for my snobbery and won't listen to it a second time.

How's it going? You do have good taste in ZEPPELIN Bootlegs. I also have all of the Bootlegs that you mentioned and I love them all as well. However, I have been really getting into the Bootleg ZEPPELIN DVD's such as both complete KNEBWORTH shows that were recorded on 4 and 11 August 1979, both complete Earl's Court shows that were recorded on 24 and 25 May 1975, the complete Seattle Kingdome show that was recorded on 17 July 1977 and the most recent ZEPPELIN Reunion recorded at the 02 Arena on 10 December 2007. I was so surprised as to how great the picture and sound quality was on all of these shows. Seeing the Seattle Kingdome show on DVD from 17 July 1977 really brings back memories for me since I saw LED ZEPPELIN live one week later in person at the Oakland Coliseum in Oakland, California on 23 July 1977. Keep up the great work!

However, I have been really getting into the Bootleg ZEPPELIN DVD's such as both complete KNEBWORTH shows that were recorded on 4 and 11 August 1979, both complete Earl's Court shows that were recorded on 24 and 25 May 1975, the complete Seattle Kingdome show that was recorded on 17 July 1977 and the most recent ZEPPELIN Reunion recorded at the 02 Arena on 10 December 2007. Seeing the Seattle Kingdome show on DVD from 17 July 1977 really brings back memories for me since I saw LED ZEPPELIN live one week later in person at the Oakland Coliseum in Oakland, California on 23 July 1977. Keep up the great work!

Righto, ZeppFan, bootleg DVDs are the wave of the future, like CDs were to those confounded cassette tapes. Two bassists I know have the most fantastic connects in trading circles that it's unreal, these two guys have given me over a hundred hours of free LZ audio and video but will not divulge their sources to me. With friends like that . . . who cares, right? One of them scored me some of the video you have, May 24, 1975 and August 11, 1979 are near complete; he only scrounged up the the first 2 hours and 45 minutes of the Seattle '77 show, it stops after Moby Dick and before Achilles but I saw Achilles on You Tube along with other stuff. This guy also furnished the complete Tous En Scene TV show from June '69, only about half of it appears on DVD, personally I thought the rehearsal for that was better than the performance portion that Page released. I'm sure you've seen it. In a big compilation my friend made of Lewisville (about a minute's worth of D&C) and hours of footage from '75 and '77 I saw about a five second clip of Plant at Bath '70. That's what I want to see! You know there's more, anyone with a movie camera at Bath '70 wouldn't cut it short not having shot every available frame of film, thinking: "Groovy, I got a few seconds of Plant, now I can mosey over to the beer concession."

That July 23, 1977 Oakland show was when all the shit flew with Graham's staff. I doubt that was apparent to the audience and I've heard bootlegs of both Day on the Green events but how about an eyewitness account on the concert itself. Was it a good show? Great?

I saw LZ a couple of months before you in 1977, early in the second leg of the tour. Scorching show at the Houston Summit, some of my hair still hasn't grown back.

Righto, ZeppFan, bootleg DVDs are the wave of the future, like CDs were to those confounded cassette tapes. Two bassists I know have the most fantastic connects in trading circles that it's unreal, these two guys have given me over a hundred hours of free LZ audio and video but will not divulge their sources to me. With friends like that . . . who cares, right? One of them scored me some of the video you have, May 24, 1975 and August 11, 1979 are near complete; he only scrounged up the the first 2 hours and 45 minutes of the Seattle '77 show, it stops after Moby Dick and before Achilles but I saw Achilles on You Tube along with other stuff. This guy also furnished the complete Tous En Scene TV show from June '69, only about half of it appears on DVD, personally I thought the rehearsal for that was better than the performance portion that Page released. I'm sure you've seen it. In a big compilation my friend made of Lewisville (about a minute's worth of D&C) and hours of footage from '75 and '77 I saw about a five second clip of Plant at Bath '70. That's what I want to see! You know there's more, anyone with a movie camera at Bath '70 wouldn't cut it short not having shot every available frame of film, thinking: "Groovy, I got a few seconds of Plant, now I can mosey over to the beer concession."

That July 23, 1977 Oakland show was when all the shit flew with Graham's staff. I doubt that was apparent to the audience and I've heard bootlegs of both Day on the Green events but how about an eyewitness account on the concert itself. Was it a good show? Great?

I saw LZ a couple of months before you in 1977, early in the second leg of the tour. Scorching show at the Houston Summit, some of my hair still hasn't grown back.

I would love to say that the Oakland show was great but it wasn't. The reason is because of the obvious which is Pagey and Bonzo were really smacked out on heroin. Jimmy could not stand up straight a lot of the time which affected his guitar playing on some songs. You're right, that's when all of the shit really hit the fan. I called that fiasco THE LED ZEPPELIN CONNECTION! Actually, in my opinion, the Seattle Kingdome show on DVD from 17 July 1977 was a far better show than the Oakland 23 July 1977 show. I didn't say this to you sooner but I saw the Forum 23 June 1977 show and it was far better than any of the shows that came afterward. Pagey and Bonzo must have really been having a good time during that period with the heroin because it would affect the Forum, the Seattle Kingdome and Oakland performances. Despite that, the Forum performance that I saw on 23 June 1977 was far better than both the Kingdome and Oakland shows and is the best show that I ever saw in person.

Yes I've posted this before but I can't remember where!

I finally got to see my favorite band on what was to be their last show in the US. I had heard all about the Kezar (in Golden Gate Park)'73 show, so loud that rock shows were banned from this venue (complaints poured in from a local hospital seven miles away!) I had tickets to the Oakland '75 shows: canceled due to Plant's car crash. So in 1977 I bought tickets to the second Oakland show, it was to be a "Day on the Green", Bill Graham's summertime tradition of ramming about 65,000 people into the Oakland A's/Raiders stadium for 8-10 hours of drunken sweltering in the sun.

But of course disaster struck and the tour was postponed (due to Plant's laryngitis), but so what? I was going to see my heroes live on stage, I could wait a couple extra weeks, I'd been waiting for four years already!

Some friends of mine had gone to the Saturday 7/23 show and they were PSYCHED! It was so hot that they were trying to score tix for Sunday. We showed up early to get a good spot on the outfield close to the stage. I think the supporting bands were Judas Priest and Rick Derringer.

We waited and waited for the Zeppelin as the set break dragged out longer and longer. The crowd was getting restless. Bill Graham came out on stage and gave us some BS about Jimmy "having trouble with his double guitar" but no one was buying it. As the heat of the day (and all the booze) wore on the crowd became increasingly ugly. Some tweaker sitting in front of us kept turning and staring at us, he finally spun around and shouted "If you guys don't stop doing that I'm gonna kick your asses". We had no idea what he was talking about. And still no Zeppelin!

What we didn't know (hey, this was way before the internet!), was that the day before, during Pagey's solo, Peter Grant's 11 year-old son Warren attempted to take a Led Zeppelin sign off one of the back stage trailers. Well, the (notorious) Bill Graham security thugs didn't take kindly to this and gave Warren the "treatment". When Grant found out he and Bonham took said security guards into one of the trailers and returned the favor, by all accounts beating the holy shit out of these guys.

There was no problem with equipment, the band was holed up in the bar of the Mark Hopkins hotel in San Francisco, telling Graham's people they weren't playing.

Meanwhile, back in Oaktown the situation continued to deteriorate. People shouting obscenities, throwing things, some people were actually LEAVING! Things hit rock bottom when some drunken asshole standing at about second base chucked his empty fifth of Jack Daniels towards the stage. Being no Willie Mays his throw didn't make it anywhere near the stage. We watched in horrified silence as the bottle tumbled through the air and nailed some poor little blonde chick square in the back of the head. Down she went amid a chorus of boos. They carried her out over our heads on a stretcher.

Things were getting so bad that even the tweaker left!

At last Led Zeppelin took the stage. Page looked totally pissed, Bonham wore very large sunglasses, and Jonesy stood stock still with a blank look on his face. Their performance seemed short, perfunctory and completely unremarkable.

There you have it, my one and only time of seeing my favorite band. It sucked.

CODA: Well, it didn't totally suck since I had always wanted a US Army field jacket and the tweaker forgot his so I took it and wore it for the next ten years! There were even some roaches in the pocket!

Oh wait, what was the subject of this thread? Oh yeah, I do listen to bootlegs far more that the studio stuff (which I've been disecting for 30 years!). I want "peak" performances, being a bootleg collector since the 70s I can listen through most low quality recordings to enjoy those "peak" moments. I have really been enjoying those matrix shows that are surfacing lately. Good clear vocals and piano from the soundboard and the loud guitar from the audience. Like the "Northern Exposure" matrix of March 19, 1975. The best of both worlds!

I would love to say that the Oakland show was great but it wasn't. The reason is because of the obvious which is Pagey and Bonzo were really smacked out on heroin. Jimmy could not stand up straight a lot of the time which affected his guitar playing on some songs. You're right, that's when all of the shit really hit the fan. I called that fiasco THE LED ZEPPELIN CONNECTION! Actually, in my opinion, the Seattle Kingdome show on DVD from 17 July 1977 was a far better show than the Oakland 23 July 1977 show. I didn't say this to you sooner but I saw the Forum 23 June 1977 show and it was far better than any of the shows that came afterward. Pagey and Bonzo must have really been having a good time during that period with the heroin because it would affect the Forum, the Seattle Kingdome and Oakland performances. Despite that, the Forum performance that I saw on 23 June 1977 was far better than both the Kingdome and Oakland shows and is the best show that I ever saw in person.

I thought the Seattle show was lackluster compared to Houston and the LA extravaganzas in 1977. There is a difference however in watching and listening to music being performed than only just listening. That's why recorded music is a popular industry. I was watching Knebworth's second night, Page broke a string during Black Dog and the guitar sounded terrible as he groped with the problem of finishing the song on five strings. There were some other things I saw Page doing that caused me to roll my eyes, in particular a lazy cheap stunt picking style when playing fast runs in solos. I can't be certain because I'm just a bystander but I'd venture to say before the white lady Page had much more pride in his guitar, neither a broken string nor faced with playing a blistering run caused him any trouble in the halcyon daze. I left the room in disgust to replenish my glass and in the kitchen the same song that was pissing me off only 30 seconds earlier sounded fine, not great, but better. I learned something about sight and sound that day. Peace.

I thought the Seattle show was lackluster compared to Houston and the LA extravaganzas in 1977. There is a difference however in watching and listening to music being performed than only just listening. That's why recorded music is a popular industry. I was watching Knebworth's second night, Page broke a string during Black Dog and the guitar sounded terrible as he groped with the problem of finishing the song on five strings. There were some other things I saw Page doing that caused me to role my eyes, in particular a lazy cheap stunt picking style when playing fast runs in solos. I can't be certain because I'm just a bystander but I'd venture to say before the white lady Page had much more pride in his guitar, neither a broken string nor faced with playing a blistering run caused him any trouble in the halcyon daze. I left the room in disgust to replenish my glass and in the kitchen the same song that was pissing me off only 30 seconds earlier sounded fine, not great, but better. I learned something about sight and sound that day. Peace.

ZEPPELIN'S second show recorded on 11 August 1979 was far better quality picture and sound wise but the first show that was recorded on 4 August 1979 was a far better show of the two. In my opinion, I feel that Pagey took the first show (4 August 1979) more seriously than the second show (11 August 1979) because he had a lot to prove on the first night. There was also no mess ups technology wise while the first show (4 August 1979) was being recorded. There were at least two obvious errors technology wise during the taping of the second show (11 August 1979). The first was during "The Song Remains The Same" segment in the beginning. The second was absolutely terrible, it was during the "Over The Hills And Far Away" segment. The loud pops and static did all but ruin the live "Over The Hills And Far Away" segment.

ZeppFan, I was impressed the way Page cherry picked the Knebworth selections for DVD, judging from those renditions alone the viewer can't help but think this is another Zeppelin milestone. The bloom is off the rose pretty quick while watching the entire concert. DVD had seven Knebworth songs and Page had over 40 to pick from, most of them, a pair of takes. The material on DVD shows the spark of the ol' Zeppelin fire.

Chef, is that ALL you remember about Oakland, mayne? Maybe you should go to a hypnotist and see if the dead parts of your memory can't be revived or something. Seriously though, great post(s), great story (except the poor chick), you can write anything you want in my threads, I'm down wit' you. Was the weed any good?

ZeppFan, I was impressed the way Page cherry picked the Knebworth selections for DVD, judging from those renditions alone the viewer can't help but think this is another Zeppelin milestone. The bloom is off the rose pretty quick while watching the entire concert. DVD had seven Knebworth songs and Page had over 40 to pick from, most of them, a pair of takes. The material on DVD shows the spark of the ol' Zeppelin fire.

Chef, is that ALL you remember about Oakland, mayne? Maybe you should go to a hypnotist and see if the dead parts of your memory can't be revived or something. Seriously though, great post(s), great story (except the poor chick), you can write anything you want in my threads, I'm down wit' you. Was the weed any good?

The best killer green skunk weed around with crystals on the sticky buds. Its really a wonder and a miracle that I can still remember a lot of the shows.

The best killer green skunk weed around with crystals on the sticky buds. Its really a wonder and a miracle that I can still remember a lot of the shows.

No leftovers I 'spose? To quote Robert Plant: Look, everybody's taking a picture of me when I say hashish. (Deadpanned, after appropriate pregnant pause) I would never advocate a thing like that.

<Just then a p'liceman stepped up to me and said (get in line) . . .>

No leftovers I 'spose? To quote Robert Plant: Look, everybody's taking a picture of me when I say hashish. (Deadpanned, after appropriate pregnant pause) I would never advocate a thing like that.

<Just then a p'liceman stepped up to me and said (get in line) . . .>

Funny you should say that. As the cop was telling me to get in line, he was sniffing my weed and decided to put (sneak) it in his pocket. He then said that I could go since he accidently lost my weed.

Funny you should say that. As the cop was telling me to get in line, he was sniffing my weed and decided to put (sneak) it in his pocket. He then said that I could go since he accidently lost my weed.

Once upon a time I worked at DFW airport with this krazy kat who claimed the pigs gleaned he was heavily ossified sitting in his ride in a 7-11 parking lot one evening in 1978 and leaned on his arse. They didn't pop him but absconded with his doobidge and let him walk. Shee-yott.

Back in the "Elder Days" (the 70s again) the cops never arrested you for weed, they ALWAYS took it! We used to buy it from one of them. And they never busted you for alcohol either, half the time they didn't even take it and we were WAY under age!!

No the roaches were total schwag but that would wreck the story.

I do remember Pagie SKIPPED the solo in Achillies Last Stand!

Welcome to the club. In those day's Vancouver had a force that had a pop machine full of confiscated beer and a little hootch was not an uncommmon arrival either. :D Those were the day's my friend...we thought they'd never end B)

I think alot of it depends on just what your looking for with a recording, if your after an alternative to the offical releases then I can understand gravitating to SB's and the cream of the audience. Thats more what I was after early on in my collecting days but over time the "character" of its show has become more important to me. Thats really turned me off all but the very best SB's, yes the instruments might be clear but if the recording doesnt get across the feeling of an actual concern it loses alot for me. For example I'd pick the Tulsa 70 show you mentioned ahead of a great deal of SB's, admitidly partly because I think its such a good show.

Once upon a time I worked at DFW airport with this krazy kat who claimed the pigs gleaned he was heavily ossified sitting in his ride in a 7-11 parking lot one evening in 1978 and leaned on his arse. They didn't pop him but absconded with his doobidge and let him walk. Shee-yott.

ISN'T THE JUDICIAL SYSTEM BEAUTIFUL? I guess the saying "A MAN WITH WEED IS A FRIEND INDEED" means a lot in the judicial system. HA!

Welcome to the club. In those day's Vancouver had a force that had a pop machine full of confiscated beer and a little hootch was not an uncommmon arrival either. :D Those were the day's my friend...we thought they'd never end B)

THOSE WERE THE DAYS INDEED! ROCK ON!

I took my vinyl copy to a recording studio a friend has; he taped and remixed it trying to bring up the guitar to almost no avail.

how the hell do you "remix" something that was recorded on a cassette tape recorder?

i.e., an audience bootleg

Archived