BBC Paris Theatre in London

Ramones

Many years ago, I heard on the radio (On a station in Northern California) a live Led Zep show that was recorded at the Paris Theatre in London. I believe it was on the King Biscuit Flower Hour (?), and it was a very early show, like 1970. I remember it being an excellent show, and when the BBC CD was released, I was hoping that was it, but it wasn't.

Are there any legal recordings of this show in any format (CD, mp3, vinyl, cassette, whatever)?

If not, is there any hope that there might be some day?

Thank you.

Actually I believe disc 2 of the BBC Sessions is from the April 1, 1971, BBC Paris Studios, London, England show.

Missing though is, What Is And What Should Never Be, Communication Breakdown and an edited version of Whole Lotta Love from this performance.

Actually I believe disc 2 of the BBC Sessions is from the April 1, 1970, BBC Paris Studios, London, England show.

Missing though is, What Is And What Should Never Be, Communication Breakdown and an edited version of Whole Lotta Love from this performance.

The CD says that show is from 1971, and I could swear what I heard was from 1970. I think I remember there was a very long version of Whole Lotta Love, and another song, like White Summer / Black Mountain Side.

Most of what was on the BBC show I heard is the stuff that is on Disc one of that CD, but different versions, and all recorded on one night, I believe. Everything was from the 1st two albums, I think. There was no Stairway. Mostly the bluesier stuff.

Sorry, this was a long time ago, like about 25 years ago when I heard this.

it's disc 2 of BBC Sessions from April 4th 1971. there's no other BBC performance at Paris theatre. Have a listen again and you'll find it is what you heard (or the radio station was wrong about what they were playing). For space reasons on the official release, the performance of Communication Breakdown is missing, and part of the solo in Thank You is cut. There might be others but I can't remember right now. The full bootleg (at near studio quality), is easily available online if you look in the right places.

it's disc 2 of BBC Sessions from April 4th 1971. there's no other BBC performance at Paris theatre. Have a listen again and you'll find it is what you heard (or the radio station was wrong about what they were playing). For space reasons on the official release, the performance of Communication Breakdown is missing, and part of the solo in Thank You is cut. There might be others but I can't remember right now. The full bootleg (at near studio quality), is easily available online if you look in the right places.

Well, it was the King Biscuit guy who was saying when and where the concert was from. I suppose he could be wrong... It was definitely not disc 2 of the BBC cd, because there was no Stairway, no Going to California, and a lot more of what is on Disc one. Maybe I can find my cassette recording of it. I taped it off the radio, but Whole Lotta Love got cut up, when I had to flip the tape over.

I did check the concert page here, and see that they do list only one Paris Theatre show, ever, so this is very confusing.

I'll have to do a search for bootlegs, and maybe I can find exactly what it was.

Thank you.

The first disc of The BBC Sessions was a compilation of many different radio broadcasts and one was a full concert from Paris in 1969 here's the set:

Communication Breakdown+

I Cant Quit You Baby

Dazed and Confused*

White Summer*

You Shook Me

How Many More Times+

*= omitted from release

+= edited

The London show from 1971 set:

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker+

Since I've Been Loving You

Black Dog

Dazed and Confused

Stairway To Heaven

Going To California

That's The Way

What Is And What Should Never Be*

Whole Lotta Love+

Thank You

Communication Breakdown*

The first disc of The BBC Sessions was a compilation of many different radio broadcasts and one was a full concert from Paris in 1969 here's the set:

Communication Breakdown+

I Cant Quit You Baby

Dazed and Confused*

White Summer*

You Shook Me

How Many More Times+

*= omitted from release

+= edited

The London show from 1971 set:

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker+

Since I've Been Loving You

Black Dog

Dazed and Confused

Stairway To Heaven

Going To California

That's The Way

What Is And What Should Never Be*

Whole Lotta Love+

Thank You

Communication Breakdown*

Thank you. That sounds more like it. I'm thinking now it might have been How Many More Times that was the long song that got cut when I flipped the cassette over. So maybe my memory is failing me, and it was from Paris, rather than the Paris Theatre? So I guess I have part of the concert, and can probably get a bootleg with the omitted songs, somewhere. I know for sure White Summer was one of the songs, because I wasn't familiar with that title at the time, even though the song was one I'd heard before. Those 6 songs, with commercials and commentary would easily be an hour, which I assume the King Biscuit Flower Hour was, based on it's name. I think I also remember just polite applause between songs, rather than thundering cheers and such, and when Plant introduced the band, he got almost no applause for himself. With the omitted songs and the edited songs, it's no wonder I didn't recognize the show when I bought the BBC CD. I think that solves the mystery. Thanks again.

I would say 10-10-69 Paris, but that didnt have Whole Lotta Love

Thank you. I'll look for that on-line. Although I see 12-6-69, also in Paris, was pretty much the same set, but with Whole Lotta Love.

But almost definitely 10-10-69. If anyone can confirm that this show was ever broadcast on the KBFH, that would be great.

Thanks to everyone!

• 1 month later...
Thank you. I'll look for that on-line. Although I see 12-6-69, also in Paris, was pretty much the same set, but with Whole Lotta Love.

But almost definitely 10-10-69. If anyone can confirm that this show was ever broadcast on the KBFH, that would be great.

Thanks to everyone!

Heres all the information I have on the 1969-10-10 show. I have this bootleg - It's very good quality, but unfortunately some of the songs have a French DJ talking over them at spots. Still very listenable.

Led Zeppelin

Paris, L'Olympia

Recorded for the show "Musicorama", on french station Europe 1

First broadcast : 1969.11.02

Second Broadcast (not complete) : 2007.11.7

01 - Communication Breakdown

02 - I Can't Quit You Baby

03 - Heartbreaker

04 - Dazed And Confused

05 - White Summer/Black Mountain Side

06 - You Shook Me

07 - How Many More Times

Moby Dick was played but not broadcasted.

Notes :

Every Led Zeppelin die hard fan knew the existence of this recording, but it seems that the circulation was very very limited. Now it's time to liberate it !

With the reunion going on, the french radio station Europe 2 decided to air this show. A huge thanks to them !

It's unfortunate that Zep's only concert at the Olympia wasn't recorded... or at least that it was never bootlegged, because the concert was broadcast the following Nov. 2 on [the radio station] Europe 1... Supposedly even a film exists.

Some additional information is provided by the French language fanzine Kashmir: "there's an easy answer concerning the 1969 Olympia concert: there's an article in Rock & Folk from November 1969 which gives a summary of the concerts of Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull and Vanilla Fudge at the Olympia for the occasion of 3 Musicoramas broadcast on Europe 1. What's more, we know of people who listened to the broadcast back then. And, the major concerts back in those days were pretty much systematically recorded by Europe 1 or RTL [also a French radio station]. The master tape of this concert is in Europe 1's archives. Recordings were most certainly made but the equipment back then wasn't so great and not many people in France were interested in Led Zeppelin.

It's not the Paris show if he heard it on King Biscuit many years ago. That show was only replayed for the first time the day before the O2 show. It was buried in the French radio station's vault for years allegedly.

King Biscuit over the years, like many other radio stations, has played the '69 show from Playhouse Theater in London and the '71 show from Paris Theater in London. Oftentimes, these shows were played together, as they did oh so many years ago on WDVE in Pittsburgh when I recorded my first tape copy. These are the two main live shows which were tapped for BBC Sessions, along with a few other live-in-studio recordings for some BBC shows.

For reference to the above post, the BBC radio and t.v. shows that make up the official BBC release are as follows:

Show: "John Peel's TOP GEAR" 3-3-1969

Setlist: You Shook Me - Communication Breakdown - I Can't Quit You Baby - Dazed And Confused.

(I'm 90% sure that all of this show is on the official release, and would be 100% but I'm not sure about Communication Breakdown as I have not listened to it in a while)

Show: "RHYTHM & BLUES w/ Alexis Korner" 3-19-1969

Setlist: Introduction by Alexis Korner - What Is And What Should Never Be - I Can't Quit You Baby - You Shook Me - Sunshine Woman.

(This show is also part of the "Anybody Got A Les Paul?" bootleg, but none of this broadcast is on the '97 release, as the sound quality is a little rough because it was recorded privatley by someone as it was broadcast over the radio)

Show: "Chris Grant's TASTY POP SUNDAE" on 6-16-1969

Setlist: The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair - Communication Breakdown - Somethin' Else - What Is And What Should Never Be - Group Interview w/ Chris Grant

(I believe all of this show is on the first disc of the official release, sans the interview and What Is And What Should Never Be. The group interview is HILARIOUS. The interviewer is HORRIBLE and John Paul basically talks the interviewer into the ground and makes him look like an ass)

Show: "John Peel's TOP GEAR" on 6-24-1969

Setlist: Whole Lotta Love - Communication Breakdown - What Is And What Should Never Be - Travelling Riverside Blues

(All of this show is on the first disc of the official release)

Show: "BBC ROCK HOUR w/ Alan Black" on 6-27-1969

Setlist: Alan Black Introduction - Communication Breakdown - I Can't Quit You Baby - Alan Black Interview - Dazed And Confused - Interlude w/ Adrian Henry - White Summer/Black Mountain Side - You Shook Me - How Many More Times

(AWESOME interview with Jimmy and Robert. This is my favorite show off the bootleg. I think I Can't Quit You, Dazed And Confused, You Shook Me, and How Many More Times on the first disc of the release is from this show)

Show: "THE JULIE FELIX SHOW" on 4-23-1970

Setlist: White Summer - Black Mountain Side

(Performed for a t.v. program, and the only show on the bootleg that isn't for radio. None of these are on the official release)

Show: "JOHN PEEL SUNDAY IN CONCERT" on 4-1-1971

Setlist: John Peel Introduction - Immigrant Song - Heartbreaker - Since I've Been Loving You - Black Dog - Dazed And Confused - Stairway To Heaven - Going To California - That's The Way - What Is And What Should Never Be - Whole Lotta Love - Thank You - Communication Breakdown

(All of this show (except for What Is And What Should Never Be & Communication Breakdown) is on the official release, even part of John Peel's Intro in the beginning of Immigrant Song. and makes up the entire 2nd disc. This is an amazing set, and the band is firing on all cylinders)

I do not know where the overdubs come from or anything too indepth like that. Listening to the bootleg though, most of the tracks aren't over-dubbed at all.. Sounds about exactly the same, just remastered for the release. All I know is its a great companion to the official release, and has alot better flow and give you a more in-depth look at the band in the early years.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to know if you have the Lyrics of the song Dazed and confused which was played in this show. The 18.33 minutes long song. Particularly his words after ( soul of the women was created below ) he screams something out, which i am unable to figure it out. I have tried a lot but could understand. If you could help it would be great.

Thank you

I would like to know if you have the Lyrics of the song Dazed and confused which was played in this show. The 18.33 minutes long song. Particularly his words after ( soul of the women was created below ) he screams something out, which i am unable to figure it out. I have tried a lot but could understand. If you could help it would be great.

Thank you

I could be totally confused now, but wasn't the show recorded at the Paris studios in 1971 delayed for a week because Robert had a cold or something? Because I had tickets to ONE of Peel's shows around that time that was supposed to be Zeppelin but when we got there it had been postponed, and they said we could return the next week except that I couldn't, so those of us who stayed got (I believe) Blodwyn Pig and another band. Not QUITE as good. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Show: "John Peel's TOP GEAR" 3-3-1969

Setlist: You Shook Me - Communication Breakdown - I Can't Quit You Baby - Dazed And Confused.

(I'm 90% sure that all of this show is on the official release, and would be 100% but I'm not sure about Communication Breakdown as I have not listened to it in a while)

Show: "RHYTHM & BLUES w/ Alexis Korner" 3-19-1969

Setlist: Introduction by Alexis Korner - What Is And What Should Never Be - I Can't Quit You Baby - You Shook Me - Sunshine Woman.

(This show is also part of the "Anybody Got A Les Paul?" bootleg, but none of this broadcast is on the '97 release, as the sound quality is a little rough because it was recorded privatley by someone as it was broadcast over the radio)

Show: "BBC ROCK HOUR w/ Alan Black" on 6-27-1969

Setlist: Alan Black Introduction - Communication Breakdown - I Can't Quit You Baby - Alan Black Interview - Dazed And Confused - Interlude w/ Adrian Henry - White Summer/Black Mountain Side - You Shook Me - How Many More Times

(AWESOME interview with Jimmy and Robert. This is my favorite show off the bootleg. I think I Can't Quit You, Dazed And Confused, You Shook Me, and How Many More Times on the first disc of the release is from this show)

Just for the record:

·"Communication Breakdown," as played on 3rd March, 1969, is not on the official release.

·The in-studio set for 19th March, 1969, couldn't be considered for release because the tapes were either lost or wiped by the BBC - or, at least, the majority of them...there seems to be some mud surrounding "Sunshine Woman."

·Every track from the in-studio session on 16 June, 1969, is included, save "What Is & What Should Never Be" and the interview.

·The live tracks at the end of the first disc are from the 27th June, 1969 set. "Dazed & Confused" on that CD is from a studio BBC Session, they one listed at the top of the post. The version of "Dazed & Confused" performed on 27th June was cut, as was "White Summer/Black Mountain Side," which, however, appeared on The Complete Studio Recordings (I believe) in a slightly edited form, with a fade-out on the end.

• 4 weeks later...
I could be totally confused now, but wasn't the show recorded at the Paris studios in 1971 delayed for a week because Robert had a cold or something? Because I had tickets to ONE of Peel's shows around that time that was supposed to be Zeppelin but when we got there it had been postponed, and they said we could return the next week except that I couldn't, so those of us who stayed got (I believe) Blodwyn Pig and another band. Not QUITE as good. :P
You are correct. The original date for the Paris Studio show was March 25th, but was postponed due to problems with Robert's voice. The show was performed on April 1st, and an extremely edited broadcast of it was aired on the BBC April 4th. What a bummer that you had tickets to Zeppelin and they cancelled it! In 1971 no less, very cool!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Listening to the complete UNEDITED version from my boots...so great. Wish they hadn't chopped it all up on the BBC sessions set...

I have an off-air recording of the April 1971 bbc concert which includes the full version of WLL (Honey Bee etc in the medley). Does anyone know if this full version is available on CD?

Archived