Zeppelin sites to see in NYC?

Agamemnon

Central Park

Page attends the Schaefer Music Festival with Peter Grant (9/4/74); watched from side stage and joined Bad Company (opening for Foghat) again for their second encore, a jam on 'Rock Me Baby'

Plaza Hotel East 44th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenue 10017

Led Zeppelin's NYC hotel in '75 & '77

Ritz Carlton Two West Street 10004

David Coverdale & Jimmy Page met here and stayed for three days in March 1991...it led

to their Coverdale/Page partnership (1991-1993)

Waldorf-Astoria Hotel

Led Zeppelin inducted into Rock n Roll Hall of Fame (1/12/95)

"The Physical Graffiti Building"

One of the initial fruits of the video age was the Stones urbanite "Waiting On A Friend" video, directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg and filmed on location in Manhattan's East Village. Savvy viewers will note the Stones (then) friend Peter Tosh makes a cameo in the video, sitting with Jagger and Richards on the stoop, before the two leave for the bar to meet up with Wyman, Wood, and Watts. The building of said stoop is the same one featured on the cover of Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti album (96-98 St. Mark's Place)

Central Park

Page attends the Schaefer Music Festival with Peter Grant (9/4/74); watched from side stage and joined Bad Company (opening for Foghat) again for their second encore, a jam on 'Rock Me Baby'

Wasn't that the Texas Jam on Sept 1st??? :huh:

Oh wait, he did both. Nevermind! :lol:

So, which one is this from?

1976_05_23_JimmyBadCompany_06.jpg

So, which one is this from?

I'm almost certain it's from their first jam that week:

Austin, TX University of Texas Memorial Stadium September 1, 1974

ZZ Top's First Annual Texas Size Rompin' Stompin' Barndance and Bar B.Q.

(also known as Texas Jam :lol: )

Page joined Bad Company for an encore jam on 'Rock Me Baby' upon their request that he do so…Santana co-headlined, with Joe Cocker and Bad Company as opening acts

Central Park

David Coverdale & Jimmy Page met here and stayed for three days in March 1991...it led

Waldorf-Astoria Hotel

One of the initial fruits of the video age was the Stones urbanite "Waiting On A Friend" video, directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg and filmed on location in Manhattan's East Village. Savvy viewers will note the Stones (then) friend Peter Tosh makes a cameo in the video, sitting with Jagger and Richards on the stoop, before the two leave for the bar to meet up with Wyman, Wood, and Watts. The building of said stoop is the same one featured on the cover of Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti album (96-98 St. Mark's Place)

The Plaza Hotel is at 768 5th Avenue off Central Park unless there was a different Plaza Hotel in the 70s.

Leaving tomorrow. Just wondering if there are any specific places I should check out, such as the building on Physical Graffiti. :)

Although the area has changed drastically in the past 30+ years, if you concentrate, you can still feel a bit of the old vibe when that part of the city was visited by rockers in the 60's and 70's. In addition to the Physical Graffiti building, you might want to wander around that neighborhood and the surrounding areas. I don't know if it's still there but also on St. Mark's Place but at 1st used to be the St. Mark's Bar. The area around Bleecker & McDougall is where Nobody's used to be and the Electric Lady Studios are over on 8th St. There were several other recording studios located near there. A bit further north of there, around 17th St and Park Ave So., is the location of Max's.

The area around Bleecker & McDougall

I don't suppose the Bleecker Bob's record store is still there? That's where Jimmy claims to have purchased his copy of the Jake Holmes album 'The Above Ground Sound' which

features 'I'm Confused' (influence for Led Zeppelin's 'Dazed And Confused').

I don't suppose the Bleecker Bob's record store is still there? That's where Jimmy claims to have purchased his copy of the Jake Holmes album 'The Above Ground Sound' which

Bleeker Bob's is still there as far as I know. Close by is Cafe Wha? where Hendrix and Dylan played. On west 8th street near 6th ave is Hendrix's Electric Lady Studios. Also, as for Central Park, in addition to the jam mentioned, I believe Zep played there together in '69.

EDIT: The original Fillmore East is in the East Village but I think it's a bank now. :(

EDIT: According to the Electric Lady Studio's website, Led Zeppelin recorded there while Eddie Kramer was the Director of Engineering from '70-'74.

Central Park

Waldorf-Astoria Hotel

Led Zeppelin also palyed the Schaefer Music Festival in Central Park in July, 1969. They also played shows at the Fillmore East on the first two tours of 1969, which is no longer there. May have been in the Greenwich Village section of Manhattan.

Yes it is :D

Led Zeppelin also palyed the Schaefer Music Festival in Central Park in July, 1969. They also played shows at the Fillmore East on the first two tours of 1969, which is no longer there. May have been in the Greenwich Village section of Manhattan.

The entrance to the former Fillmore East is now an Emigrant Savings Bank. The address is 105 Second Avenue (at 6th Street):

NewYorkCity-FillmoreEast7.jpg

The main portion of the Fillmore East theater section is now occupied by "Hudson East" apartments":

NewYorkCity-FillmoreEast-HudsonEast.jpg

Where's the love for Carnegie Hall, which the band played two shows on 10/17/69? It is located at 881 Seventh Avenue (between 56th & 57th Streets):

NewYorkCity-CarnegieHall.jpg

The entrance to the former Fillmore East is now an Emigrant Savings Bank. The address is 105 Second Avenue (at 6th Street):

The main portion of the Fillmore East theater section is now occupied by "Hudson East" apartments":

Where's the love for Carnegie Hall, which the band played two shows on 10/17/69? It is located at 881 Seventh Avenue (between 56th & 57th Streets):

Thanks for the info and the pics. I'm sure we can come up with some more sights if we put our minds to it. Places such as where they held some parties, album premieres and the like might be considered too.

Thanks for the info and the pics. I'm sure we can come up with some more sights if we put our minds to it. Places such as where they held some parties, album premieres and the like might be considered too.

There were some in Harlem and what not. I didn't really bother posting those details for most are probably long gone. There's one I'm not sure of the address, and that would be author William S. Burrough's apartment, where he and Jimmy conducted an extensive interview in February 1975 for a magazine feature.

Central Park

Waldorf-Astoria Hotel

now i have a reason to go to ny

They could reanme a a track off Zep III Emigrant Song :whistling:

Central Park

Hi,

Close to Plaza Hotel is a Indian Restaurant Nirvana (well mentioned in all Zep books readings). It is not clear to me as to which member(s) ate at/catered to from this Indian restaurant..although it is widely mentioned that it was just Robert Plant.... I think The Band ate here in early '75 tour (according to Rock Journalist Lisa Robinson)....don't know about their '77 meal plan...

P.S. I cannot imagine the very fragile/sensitive Mr. Page visiting this restaurant...it was probably just Mr. Plant....I bet Plant forced Page to eat hot Indian food for a little "revenge" here and there ...the road is too long...

If any experts in this Forum can shed some details about this Led Zep venture...that would be appreciated..thanks..

Hi,

Close to Plaza Hotel is a Indian Restaurant Nirvana (well mentioned in all Zep books readings). It is not clear to me as to which member(s) ate at/catered to from this Indian restaurant..although it is widely mentioned that it was just Robert Plant.... I think The Band ate here in early '75 tour (according to Rock Journalist Lisa Robinson)....don't know about their '77 meal plan...

P.S. I cannot imagine the very fragile/sensitive Mr. Page visiting this restaurant...it was probably just Mr. Plant....I bet Plant forced Page to eat hot Indian food for a little "revenge" here and there ...the road is too long...

If any experts in this Forum can shed some details about this Led Zep venture...that would be appreciated..thanks..

Don't know if the restaurant is still there but there was a press conference for Robert held at Nirvana, complete with a belly dancer. 1990 I think, though perhaps 93.

Don't know if the restaurant is still there but there was a press conference for Robert held at Nirvana, complete with a belly dancer. 1990 I think, though perhaps 93.

just for info...it does exist..here is choice of food....http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-93525/?&t=3

thanks for Robert's '90's info....still I wondered if anybody had witnessed the '70's atmosphere...that would be interesting.( I have seen several pictures of Led Zep eating backstage, on planes around this time...

I suppose it would be interesting to eat at at a restaurant where Feast for the Gods originated...

just for info...it does exist..here is choice of food....http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-93525/?&t=3

thanks for Robert's '90's info....still I wondered if anybody had witnessed the '70's atmosphere...that would be interesting.( I have seen several pictures of Led Zep eating backstage, on planes around this time...

I suppose it would be interesting to eat at at a restaurant where Feast for the Gods originated...

A friend of mine at there several years ago. Sadly they didn't have too much good to say. Suppose it's one of those you go for the atmosphere more than the food.

Archived