Ahmet but not Grant?

bonzo1026

I haven't read each and every post/topic on here so this obsveration has probably obviously been made but I wonder why when Peter Grant died, the members of Zep didn't do some sort of tribute show for him? I should imagine they had a much more intimate relatonship with Peter than Ahmet.

Yeah, Ahmet signed them to Atlantic but Grant nurtured them and looked out for them as well as shielding them and catering to their whims. He was a 5th member! I know that things weren't great between them all since Bonham died but still, I keep hearing all this talk about Ahmet and I feel like Grant was dissed a bit. If it weren't for Peter Grant, Ahmet wouldn't have had anyone to sign.

Thoughts?

2 things. Page and Plant were already getting ready for a world tour when he died. But I guess they could have easily invited JPJ for a show and did a gig for Peter Grant. But also later in Grant's life he kind of alienated himself from the members from what I remember. The band respected Peter for all he did to allow the band to be what they were. If it weren't for him Zeppelin didn't have the freedom they got. But I've read where the band members and Grant had a falling out.

I also forgot to mention that they had already left JPJ out in the cold with the Unledded/No Quarter stuff when they could/should have asked JPJ if he wanted to join in. So I doubt he would have done anything with them at that point.

I haven't read each and every post/topic on here so this obsveration has probably obviously been made but I wonder why when Peter Grant died, the members of Zep didn't do some sort of tribute show for him? I should imagine they had a much more intimate relatonship with Peter than Ahmet.

Yeah, Ahmet signed them to Atlantic but Grant nurtured them and looked out for them as well as shielding them and catering to their whims. He was a 5th member! I know that things weren't great between them all since Bonham died but still, I keep hearing all this talk about Ahmet and I feel like Grant was dissed a bit. If it weren't for Peter Grant, Ahmet wouldn't have had anyone to sign.

Thoughts?

There's some good points there and I've always wondered why they didn't do a 25th anniversary of John Bonhams " passing" tribute, etc.The led zeppelin boys may have kept there "intimate relationship"with Peter Grant close to there chest ;as far as (a) being there manager (b)being like a father to the band, ©They would have memory's of the man that they would like to keep to themselves.In latter years of peter grants life; it was well known about Drug issues that peter was struggling with; so again that could have (once again)projected a side to Led Zeppelin that may have been best to lay to rest.I think Ahmet was always trying to get led zeppelin (or at least the honey drippers) to get back together as a band ;but it wasn't until his death ,and a request from ahmrets wife to perform as L.Z .(not just for the sake of performing)L.Z wanted to help the charity"s for which ahmet was involved in. cheers.

I also forgot to mention that they had already left JPJ out in the cold with the Unledded/No Quarter stuff when they could/should have asked JPJ if he wanted to join in. So I doubt he would have done anything with them at that point.

Well, JPJ had already joined them for Led Zeppelin's Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction performance back in Jan 1995, so it's debatable if he would have agreed to another.

I don't recall JPJ attending the funeral service at St. Peter & St. Paul's Parish Church in Hellingly or the wake that evening (12/4/95) at Worth Farm in Little Horsted, Sussex, England, although Jimmy and Robert did. Peter had attended the final gig of their UK tour, watching from the soundboard (Wembley Arena 7/26/95)

Thoughts?

From what I understand, Ahmet was the one who asked them to play at the Atlantic 40th Anniversary Concert and it was Ahmet's wife who asked them to play at his tribute concert. And, Ahmet didn't just sign Zeppelin, he discovered and signed literally hundreds of groundbreaking Soul, R&B, Funk and Rock acts. This man was a giant in the music industry and he was obviously adored by everyone he worked with.

I also think that they wanted to redeem themselves after the dissapointing 40th Atlantic show and saw this as the perfect opportunity to do so, and they sure did.

As far as them "dissing" Peter Grant for not doing a tribute show for him, well ...

thats just ridiculous.

As far as them "dissing" Peter Grant for not doing a tribute show for him, well ...

thats just ridiculous.

Thanks for the comprehensive but unnecessary Ahmet Ertegun history lesson. I'm not 11, I know his impact and influence. I've been playing for 26 years and been a Zep fan for 35. My "ridiculous" point/opinion was that Ahmet would have been saying "Led who?" if it weren't for Grant and I was only CURIOUS as to why Zep didn't do some sort of tribute for Grant because I FELT it may have been a cool thing to do. If you feel that's ridiculous, well......

I really don't know why I bother fkn posting sometimes. I thought it was a pretty good topic for discussion. Ridiculous? Have you read half the shit on here? "Which of Page's outfits do you like better?" "Which jeans show off Plant's nob better?" "Is there backward masking on Stairway To Heaven?" "I have 695,000 boots to brag about but I won't tell anyone how to get them because they might end up cooler than me". "I act like and post like I know Zeppelin personally and answer posts on their behalf like I'm their fkn press agent but I won't say who I am because I'm really nobody important". "

This fkn board is ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the comprehensive but unnecessary Ahmet Ertegun history lesson. I'm not 11, I know his impact and influence. I've been playing for 26 years and been a Zep fan for 35. My "ridiculous" point/opinion was that Ahmet would have been saying "Led who?" if it weren't for Grant and I was only CURIOUS as to why Zep didn't do some sort of tribute for Grant because I FELT it may have been a cool thing to do. If you feel that's ridiculous, well......

This fkn board is ridiculous.

I wasn't refering to your idea of Zep doing a tribute to Grant as "ridiculous", I was refering to your statement that by 'not' doing a tribute to Grant that he was being "dissed" by them, thats all.

My "ridiculous" comment was not meant to offend you and I apologize if it did, its just that I found the concept of them dissing Grant by not doing a tribute show for him was, well.......ridiculous.

They haven't done a tribute show for John Bonham, are they "dissing" him too?

I wasn't refering to your idea of Zep doing a tribute to Grant as "ridiculous", I was refering to your statement that by 'not' doing a tribute to Grant that he was being "dissed" by them, thats all.

My "ridiculous" comment was not meant to offend you and I apologize if it did, its just that I found the concept of them dissing Grant by not doing a tribute show for him was, well.......ridiculous.

They haven't done a tribute show for John Bonham, are they "dissing" him too?

Thousand pardons. Totally misread your post, kind sir.

Archived