Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

Well, I'd like to congratulate, and thank you, for being the first level-headed Leaf fan I've seen/spoken to in months. Every other one seems to think this is the year for the cup run. I'm not sure if they've taken a gander at the roster, but oh well.

Hi Zepaholic,

I think we're talking about two separate issues here. If, as you rightly point out, the circumstances merit for parliament having to be dissolved (going against his own rules on calling elections notwithstanding), then whether or not he's arrogant is irrelevant. He HAS to, right? But if you read my post, I was referring to his thinly veiled disdain for the democratic process and his attitude towards many of those he has to work with in government when the cameras are off.

I'm glad he's calling an election as there is one issue that I agree with him on (Arctic), and disagree with just about everything else. I list them, but I really mean everything else, so take your pick.

But I hope this clarifies things.

Patrycja

No problem, and thanks for the clarification. And as for thinly veiled disdain for democratic process, well, i do believe that Canadians have been coping with this issue for some 40 odd years...under all political banners.

I don't believe that anybody need remind anybody about Jean Chretiens track record on corruption, pork barreling and lying to his voting public. Mulroney is another story altogether....

Wow.....the gloves appear to be coming off...I'm watching the CBC today and the Premier of Newfoundland, Danny Williams, is hot....hot...hot.....

He's being called a "dictator" because he has told his MPP's to not support Harper...The minister of fisheries, Loyola Hearn, called Williams a type of fish...Williams responded by stating that Hearn should know about dictators.."He works for one"...this is better than a soap opera...

Juliet

PS Hearn by the way is not seeking re-election.... :blink:

PSS Stay tuned for the continuing story of THE CANADIAN FEDERAL ELECTION TO BE...I THINK???? Next episode...Sunday..When Harper supposedly is going for THE WALK.....and not so his doggie can have his "do-do"... :rolleyes:

Wow.....the gloves appear to be coming off...I'm watching the CBC today and the Premier of Newfoundland, Danny Williams, is hot....hot...hot.....

He's being called a "dictator" because he has told his MPP's to not support Harper...The minister of fisheries, Loyola Hearn, called Williams a type of fish...Williams responded by stating that Hearn should know about dictators.."He works for one"...this is better than a soap opera...

Juliet

PSS Stay tuned for the continuing story of THE CANADIAN FEDERAL ELECTION TO BE...I THINK???? Next episode...Sunday..When Harper supposedly is going for THE WALK.....and not so his doggie can have his "do-do"... :rolleyes:

I'd vote for Danny Williams in a heartbeat. Love that guy

Hilarious! A former member of the Young Liberal Club and a person who was born and raised in Toronto is a "redneck".

I suppose that any Eastern Canuck who move to any point west of Thunder Bay would be considered to be "turncoat rednecks"?????

I don't care where he's born... He could've been from Halifax I would still call him a redneck.

Anyone who's licking Georgio's ass is a redneck in my book.

True and I'm as skeptical as anyone but, we need to vote and, we need to vote for who we honestly feel is the best party to lead this country. It's time to start thinking what's best for Canada and not what's best for the special interest. This election may not give us a defined answer as to the future of this country but, we need to take the first step and we need to do it now. This minority gov. is not functioning. Nor will another

ALLY:

You sound like the lectures my father gave on politics when he wasn't lecturing me about the men I should date :lol:

I will definitley vote....after all the rhetoric, ads, bs etc etc I heard yesterday after the election was officially called...

OCTOBER 14........

Juliet :wave:

ALLY:

You sound like the lectures my father gave on politics when he wasn't lecturing me about the men I should date :lol:

I will definitley vote....after all the rhetoric, ads, bs etc etc I heard yesterday after the election was officially called...

OCTOBER 14........

OOOPs, no lecture intended :D

Juliet

Ohh....I need to correct ... it's his birdie not his doggie :lol:

I'm refering to the current immature ad put out by the Tories in their pathetic attempt at trying to hurt Dion...

Juliet

P.S. Those Tory ads featuring Harper in a livingroom with his cozy sweater are so sugary sweet...I think I'm goin' to hurl :burp:

Edited by Juliet

Hi Z:

I hear ya...

Carbon tax??.....no thanks Stephane...

Stuff that went down in English speaking rural Ontario during Chretien....pretty scary times.....

Pas Stephane...pas meaning "no"

Hi Juliet,

Latest poll results: Tories 41%, Libs 26%....OUCH! I'm sure that this news just makes your day... :D

p.s. Even "Mr. Enviroment", Jack Layton has panned the carbon tax. Lib stategists are grade schoolers.

Dion is doing a fine job at hurting himself...he doesn't need help from Harper.

I hate to say it, but you're so right :bagoverhead: I respect him but he doesn't exactly inspire one to run through the wall, does he?

Hi Juliet,

Latest poll results: Tories 41%, Libs 26%....OUCH! I'm sure that this news just makes your day... :D

p.s. Even "Mr. Enviroment", Jack Layton has panned the carbon tax. Lib stategists are grade schoolers.

Yeah, in some polls they even have the NDP almost neck and neck with the Libs. I think it's pretty clear I'm not a Harper supporter, but the Libs aren't exactly inspiring right now.

The carbon tax is contentious for sure, with many panning it (followed by claims from the Libs that it's simply misunderstood), while David Suzuki supports it. I don't recall May's position on the carob tax, but the Green Party has its own version with the Green Tax Shift. Glad that she's at least going to be participating in the debates now.

I hate to say it, but you're so right :bagoverhead: I respect him but he doesn't exactly inspire one to run through the wall, does he?

Yeah, in some polls they even have the NDP almost neck and neck with the Libs. I think it's pretty clear I'm not a Harper supporter, but the Libs aren't exactly inspiring right now.

The carbon tax is contentious for sure, with many panning it (followed by claims from the Libs that it's simply misunderstood), while David Suzuki supports it. I don't recall May's position on the carob tax, but the Green Party has its own version with the Green Tax Shift. Glad that she's at least going to be participating in the debates now.

The carbon tax in BC is just a cash grab. I'm all in favour of incentives to reduce emissions but I think a better idea would be to give individual citizens a tax break for doing so without having pay the tax first ! Nobody has come up with that idea ( as far as I know ) so I have to assume that nobody is really serious about reducing anything except the debt. I thought the GST was supposed to do that. Same horse , different colour

Hi Juliet,

Hi Zep:

Yeah..just what I need to hear...as if the current gas prices and weather are not bad enough to wreck my weekend...oh..I mean my holidays.....I'm supposed to be on holidays now....I definitely do not feel like I should celebrate..

Between listening to CNN, CBC and CTV Newsnet...I'm pretty low....better turn some Zep on...that has always cheered me up...helped me rise above all the *** in life.....

I tried to listen to Justin Trudeau (son of former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau) explain the carbon tax...he said it's a great idea...well he's from a wealthy family...I don't think he has the worries the average person has...

Just wondering that if there is any from Toronto here, how much press is there over the first ever NFL game to be played on Canadien soil? Are the Toronto fans looking forward to the Bills and Dolphins playing a real game there? I should hope they are going to support Buffalo as the Bills will be playing more games there in the future on a regular basis.

I'm not a big football fan , but do watch NFL games on lazy Sunday afternoons.

I become a little more interested as the regular season winds down and the play-off picture takes it's final positioning. I don't have a favorite team , but love some of the athletes in the game.

I go back as far as watching Bradshaw and Staubach battle it out for Superbowl's.

To answer your question , here's a recent account of the hooopla surrounding the pre-season match between Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

The news coverage was nothing short of constant , for days prior and up to the event.

The local MTV held a street party the day before the game and had thousands of delirious fans show up for some Bill's players of the past. Thomas and Kelly and a few others came and did some PR work.

The games itself was also televised on local TV.

And this was pre-season , so I was surprised.

The real debate is between CFL loyalists and NFL enthusiasts.

It raises quite a conversation for some.

In all, the immersion of Buffalo Bill football games in Toronto is big news.

I saw those typical nutty fans all painted up and going silly on TV for days --- lol.

I think there are some better people to tell you about this , like the thousands and thousands of fans that travel down to Buffalo from Toronto and surrounding year after year to take in some Bill action. There are many. The stuff of tailgate legend.

Hope that helps .

R n R

The carbon tax in BC is just a cash grab. I'm all in favour of incentives to reduce emissions but I think a better idea would be to give individual citizens a tax break for doing so without having pay the tax first ! Nobody has come up with that idea ( as far as I know ) so I have to assume that nobody is really serious about reducing anything except the debt. I thought the GST was supposed to do that. Same horse , different colour

I didn't know B.C. had that, Ally, and too bad it isn't working, but then again, it does seem more like a bandaid solution. Dion, who's known for being a staunch environmentalist, is turning people away from him with that whole carbon tax. Ironic. s much as I'd like to see environmental incentives tabled, this one doesn't seem to have legs. It's actually too middle of the road, imo. As liberal as I am, both small and capital L, sometimes I wonder whether it wouldn't be better to just implement laws where you simply can't make a car or a business that gives off more than certain amounts of emissions, but the logistics of that are likely insurmountable.

Still, one of the Scandinavian countries, Finland, I think, has a very strong enviro policy which is creating an economic boom for them, this after an economic nosedive in the 1990's that saw unemployment rates rise up to 20% (yikes!). They've pumped tons of money (public and private) into R&D and they rely heavily on sustainability and new technologies, in other words, ensuring problems don't arise to begin with, and people are generally on board. They understand and respect less consumption now leads to consistent abundance later. The biggest shift has to be in people.

I didn't know B.C. had that, Ally, and too bad it isn't working, but then again, it does seem more like a bandaid solution. Dion, who's known for being a staunch environmentalist, is turning people away from him with that whole carbon tax. Ironic. s much as I'd like to see environmental incentives tabled, this one doesn't seem to have legs. It's actually too middle of the road, imo. As liberal as I am, both small and capital L, sometimes I wonder whether it wouldn't be better to just implement laws where you simply can't make a car or a business that gives off more than certain amounts of emissions, but the logistics of that are likely insurmountable.

Still, one of the Scandinavian countries, Finland, I think, has a very strong enviro policy which is creating an economic boom for them, this after an economic nosedive in the 1990's that saw unemployment rates rise up to 20% (yikes!). They've pumped tons of money (public and private) into R&D and they rely heavily on sustainability and new technologies, in other words, ensuring problems don't arise to begin with, and people are generally on board. They understand and respect less consumption now leads to consistent abundance later. The biggest shift has to be in people.

I agree, the biggest shift has to be with the people themselves. That's why I would favour direct tax breaks for people who actually make the investment in enviromentally friendly alternatives. We are way behind with this type of thinking. I think most of us could get behind a good idea. Making us pay a tax up front, makes me feel like I'm being duped into it and, I support the intent. Trying to convincing an enviromental skeptic that an up front tax is going to help the cause is not going to happen. Making it worth his while however is language he can understand. IMHO, at the end of the day, it's the result that matter's

Hello....

I'm trying to watch the leaders of all four parties on their election trails....Do they have any concept at all of how upset people are about....everything?? Members of parliament can write off their expenes...many will get fat salaries and pensions...They may be aware but hey..they'll just take their money and run when their terms are over...Now I just need to become one...Can't beat 'em...join'em!

Gas is supposed to be going down in price as a barrel is under $100 now...it's still over $1.35 in my town...I'll have to go searching out cheaper gas...and signing up for a French class!!!

Edited by Juliet

I agree, the biggest shift has to be with the people themselves. That's why I would favour direct tax breaks for people who actually make the investment in enviromentally friendly alternatives. We are way behind with this type of thinking. I think most of us could get behind a good idea. Making us pay a tax up front, makes me feel like I'm being duped into it and, I support the intent. Trying to convincing an enviromental skeptic that an up front tax is going to help the cause is not going to happen. Making it worth his while however is language he can understand. IMHO, at the end of the day, it's the result that matter's

Yep, I can see that working, especially for those who don't have an altruistic bent, or for those who simply can't afford to sacrifice now for later. That it could appeal to so many more beyond ardent environmentalists makes it worth taking a shot on. It could work on private and business levels, though I still think there ought to be more stringent caps in place for the latter, and greater fines. I don't really like the exchange of money for emissions as anything more than a stop gap solution while the transition is made into more efficient technologies takes place

Cheers,

P

Hello....

I'm trying to watch the leaders of all four parties on their election trails....Do they have any concept at all of how upset people are about....everything?? Members of parliament can write off their expenes...many will get fat salaries and pensions...They may be aware but hey..they'll just take their money and run when their terms are over...Now I just need to become one...Can't beat 'em...join'em!

Gas is supposed to be going down in price as a barrel is under $100 now...it's still over $1.35 in my town...I'll have to go searching out cheaper gas...and signing up for a French class!!!

Well, waddaya know, gas prices have just dropped anywhere from six to nine cents across Canada. What really bugs me about this is prices were raised about thirteen cents to begin with, and so now we should be, what? Grateful that they're making only a six cent/litre profit?

lol good luck with getting into your French class

Cheers,

P

Well, waddaya know, gas prices have just dropped anywhere from six to nine cents across Canada. What really bugs me about this is prices were raised about thirteen cents to begin with, and so now we should be, what? Grateful that they're making only a six cent/litre profit?

lol good luck with getting into your French class

Cheers,

P

Hi Juliet,

Petrol is 1.51 a litre this morning in Vancouver. :angry: Brutal

Hi Juliet,

Petrol is 1.51 a litre this morning in Vancouver. :angry: Brutal

Collusion is easy when there is no direct competition.

I believe that private companies are entitled to unregulated profit margins but that said, the lack of integrity and greed shown by Oil Execs is criminal.

You get the tar, i'll get the feathers.