Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

Concert in Toronto to raise money for Burma cyclone relief

Jason Collett, solo artist and member of Broken Social Scene, is headlining a concert in Toronto Tuesday night to raise money for cyclone relief in Burma.

A lineup of Canadian talent, including duo Sunshine State, singer Eliana Cuevas, samba players Batucada Carioca and virtuoso flamenco guitarist Jesse Cook have come together for the fundraiser, part of the international efforts to get help to the people of Burma.

"I still really don't know much about Burma," Collett told CBC News. "I'm like anyone else who's got a radio or picked up a newspaper, I just got the onslaught of information that's been around the last week or so."

The concert, being hosted by CBC Radio's Garvia Bailey, will be at Lula Lounge in Toronto on Tuesday. Doors open at 7 p.m.

A few musicians are donating their time to "try and get some bodies in the club and hope to raise some money for the cause," Collett said.

Since Cyclone Nargis hit Burma, also known as Myanmar, two weeks ago, aid has trickled into the country and many people are still homeless and hungry.

"Everybody's fairly frustrated with the fact that the government has made it difficult to get aid in to people," Collett said.

The Burmese government said Tuesday the storm killed 77,238 people with nearly 56,000 confirmed missing.

The UN warns that the regime's reluctance to allow a large-scale internationally led aid effort will lead to many more casualties from disease and starvation among the 2.4 million people left homeless after the massive May 3 cyclone, although officials did welcome recent relaxations of the rules by the junta.

Many aid agencies have not been allowed access to the cyclone-ravaged areas, with the ruling junta being accused of seizing shipments of food or blocking agencies from travelling within Burma.

'Something has to happen'

But Collett said he believes Canadians should donate despite these difficulties.

"Something has to happen and it's got to happen soon," he said. "You can't sit around and philosophize about whether it's the right thing to do because all the money might not make it."

Proceeds from the Burma Cyclone Relief Concert will go to Burmese monks, who are already housing many of the homeless and need support to buy food.

Cook told CBC News he believes working with the monks is an effective way of getting help directly to the people most in need.

"They can buy supplies outside the country and get it into the monasteries where they are able to put out food to people," he said.

Cook said he was particularly moved by a Save the Children report that said as many as 30,000 Burmese children may be going hungry.

"There was a time when people were defined by the country they lived in, but you see this and think, 'We're all people,'" he said. "These are people in need and we can help."

• 2 weeks later...

AND NOW FOR THE CONTINUING STORY OF THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY OF CANADA...

This week's episode is called BUGS, BOX SPRINGS AND BUSY BODIES......

This week a cabinet minister who made a number of blunders..the most serious was leaving confidential files at his former girlfriend's house...not for one..not for two but for five weeks....was fired....

THE PLOT THICKENS.....

NEXT EPISODE....OOOOHHH LA LA, MR. PRIME MINISTER...THIS IS HOTTER THAN SEX AND THE CITY...

Edited by Juliet

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the much talked about Paul Bernardo interview hit the airwaves and not surprisingly, it's now everywhere. I saw the whole thing and it's the first time I have ever heard him speak. What a sick, twisted fucktard he is. He referred to his heinous crimes as "mistakes he committed 17 years ago." A mistake would be.... stealing a pack of gum... not killing, mutilating and raping young girls. It's also sick how he was trying to play the victim.... i.e how it affected him that people accused him of crimes he didn't commit....in this case the Elizabeth Bain murder.

Watching him, it was so hard to imagine this puny-looking, nerdy-voiced, scrawny asswipe is responsible for the horrific crimes he's committed. Goes to show that appearances are very deceiving. Angers me to know this piece of shit sits comfortably in a jail with dental care, medical care, and many other perks that Canadians pay for. (Apparently, he costs us 65,000 a year) Sick.

Edited by the queen without a king

Well, the much talked about Paul Bernardo interview hit the airwaves and not surprisingly, it's now everywhere. I saw the whole thing and it's the first time I have ever heard him speak. What a sick, twisted fucktard he is. He referred to his heinous crimes as "mistakes he committed 17 years ago." A mistake would be.... stealing a pack of gum... not killing, mutilating and raping young girls. It's also sick how he was trying to play the victim.... i.e how it affected him that people accused him of crimes he didn't commit....in this case the Elizabeth Bain murder.

Watching him, it was so hard to imagine this puny-looking, nerdy-voiced, scrawny asswipe is responsible for the horrific crimes he's committed. Goes to show that appearances are very deceiving. Angers me to know this piece of shit sits comfortably in a jail with dental care, medical care, and many other perks that Canadians pay for. (Apparently, he costs us 65,000 a year) Sick.

Why is it that scum like Bernardo and Clifford Olsen get so much air play ? I'm sure the family's of they're victims must just cringe anytime they hear either of those monsters getting any public attention. They should put both into the general prison population and be done with them

Hello:

I'm trying to understand this carbon tax that opposition leader, Stephane Dion, wants to imtroduce when he comes to power.

He says all the revenue from this tax will go to cut personal taxes. How does he know there will be revenue from his tax? Can he see into the future? How does he know how people are going to spend their money once there is another tax in this country?

Juliet

Cabinet shuffle today my fellow Canadians...get out the champagne and caviar..

David Emerson ran as a Liberal but then crossed the floor when Harper offered him a cabinet post. He's the current Foreign Affairs minister after Bernier had to resign due to leaving his "homework" at his girlfriend's. Emerson will probably be made the permanent one ... Will he stay or shuffle back across the floor to rejoin the Liberals?

Stay tuned..... :unsure:

Cabinet shuffle today my fellow Canadians...get out the champagne and caviar..

David Emerson ran as a Liberal but then crossed the floor when Harper offered him a cabinet post. He's the current Foreign Affairs minister after Bernier had to resign due to leaving his "homework" at his girlfriend's. Emerson will probably be made the permanent one ... Will he stay or shuffle back across the floor to rejoin the Liberals?

Stay tuned..... :unsure:

Can't see him walking across the floor now. Foreign Affairs is too big a portfolio and his pension will be padded nicely. He's getting his payback from Harper. He should watch his back though, sometimes payback is a bitch ;)

I used to love Canada. I have relatives there. But now I can't get in even though I am a law abiding citizen. The american border patrols even say they are nuts. The Canadiens that work at the border control are the biggest bunch of assholes I have ever come across in my life. I don't even want to go there ever again. They can have it and keep it. They have nothing we don't have here in the USA. We are there for them, but they are not there for us.

Um. Well I have no beef with Canada. I've only been across the border a couple of times and didn't see much. I'd love to visit the cities. I do have to admit that the border agent the first time was very scary and mean. I had a Wisconsin license, but Minnesota plates....or was it the other way around, can't remember- it was 20 years ago. I moved from WI to MN and took a little trip right afterwards. Maybe I should have waited until I had my shit in order. In fact, I definately should have. Anyway, the guy interrogated me (and I do mean interrogated) for hours and said that my answers were lies and stuff. It was crazy and yes, I cried :P He would ask me a question and I'd answer it (my name, my age, where I lived, etc) and then he'd ask me the same question again and I'd answer it again, but he said it wasn't the same answer I gave before (even though it was)! He was yelling at me and saying I was lying. I was so freaked out.

Even so, it doesn't make me judge the whole country, for Pete's sake. Canada (what little I've seen) was pretty, and the Canadians I've met were all very nice.

They have nothing we don't have here in the USA. We are there for them, but they are not there for us.

Have you heard of Oil? You also have a current account deficit with Canada so obviously there are things that Canada has that you dont have

Edited by euro

Canadians, British people, Europeans, Africans, Middle Easteners, South Americans, Asians, Australians, and every body in the whole world!!!! For the love of god, help us out in the political threads. We need your perspective. Please, I am begging you to get your asses into those threads like Bush's resignation speech, etc. I am on my knees over here (just for fun) so PLEASE!

Sorry, was that rude? :P

Canadians, British people, Europeans, Africans, Middle Easteners, South Americans, Asians, Australians, and every body in the whole world!!!! For the love of god, help us out in the political threads. We need your perspective. Please, I am begging you to get your asses into those threads like Bush's resignation speech, etc. I am on my knees over here (just for fun) so PLEASE!

Sorry, was that rude? :P

I would love to get an "outsiders" perspective of what's going on this country simply because I'm interested in how we're portrayed there. I hope they know not all Americans are sucking off Bush and his cronies.

I would love to get an "outsiders" perspective of what's going on this country simply because I'm interested in how we're portrayed there. I hope they know not all Americans are sucking off Bush and his cronies.

Mebd and I were talking about this. We really want people from other countries to weigh in.

Yup, you're definitely Rick. He always loved telling people they were too young and needed life experiences. That was his big thing; he had all these life experiences and everyone else just hatched from a pod yesterday and therefore knows nothing. He also was very derogatory against all Muslims, as that's what got him banned the first time. But you knew that.

BTW dillweed, she didn't say it was okay for that border agent to behave the way he did. She said it was not right to judge everyone based on that one guy. Which is the correct answer.

GIVE IT UP ALREADY.

A Belated Happy Canada Day...

I was working yesterday....

When I got home I saw the very end of the celebations in Ottawa...

I just loved the way the performers all sang Blue Rodeo's...WE ARE LOST TOGETHER...

Juliet

Edited by Juliet

In response to "Jaws"

The reason perhaps that we Canadians are so tough when it comes to crossing the border is because of all the 9/11 and terrorist stuff. It was reported a lot of them entered through Canada and then a lot of Americans, such as yourself, used the "blame Canada" defense. Basically, when we're not strict enough you complain and when we're too strict you also complain.

Crossing the border can be a pain in the ass. I've done it on numerous occasions and my experiences with the American side weren't that great either. It's part of the process.

Edited by the queen without a king