Jackson Revisits 'Thriller'

The Pagemeister

Kanye, Akon Help Jackson Revisit 'Thriller'

thriller_l.gif

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

As expected, Michael Jackson will celebrate the 25th anniversary of his iconic "Thriller" album with a new edition of the set, due Feb. 12 via Epic/Legacy Recordings. It will include remixes by Kanye West, Akon and will.i.am, plus rare and unreleased material from the time period.

West remixes "Billie Jean," while will.i.am has revamped "The Girl Is Mine" and "P.Y.T." The album also features a new version of "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" with both Akon and will.i.am.

Among the unreleased tracks is "For All Time," which was recording during "Thriller" but left on the cutting room floor. Jackson has personally mixed and mastered the song. Also featured is Jackson's original "Billie Jean" demo and the rarities "Someone in the Dark" and "Carousel."

"Thriller" will include a bonus DVD with the "Thriller," "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" videos, plus Jackson's performance of the latter cut during the 1983 NBC special "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever."

Jackson has been working on and off on his first studio album since 2001, but the status of the project is unknown. There have also been whispers of a tour with his brothers in 2008.

Here is the track list for "Thriller -- 25th Anniversary Edition":

"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"

"Baby Be Mine"

"The Girl Is Mine"

"Thriller"

"Beat It"

"Billie Jean"

"Human Nature"

"P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"

"The Lady in My Life"

"Carousel"

"Someone in the Dark"

"Billie Jean" (demo)

"The Girl Is Mine 2008" with will.i.am

"P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) 2008" with Michael Jackson and will.i.am

"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008" with Michael Jackson, Akon and will.i.am

"Billie Jean 2008" with Kanye West

"For All Time"

A seminal album.. Good to see it being reissued!

I suppose we're going to have everyone just making Jacko jokes now.. :rolleyes:

Well, personally... I grew up in the 80's as a Jacko and Prince fan, so.. B)

About 15 years ago before all this kid stuff started up and he turned into a white guy he was probably considered the most talented musician ever on the planet. Now he's just an afterthought.

I couldn`t agree more.......in fact I prefer that `lil black kid in the Jackson 5 even though I like Thriller, Bad, Billy Jean and some other of his songs !

j5boys.jpg

Well I hope i do not get blackballed for this but...

Thriller is by far the largest seling album World-Wide ever (104 million +) So its significance to music is extreme.

About Jackson, yes most people believe he is this disgusting guilty, etc... Although I will say even though I used to believe that, following the trial closely is what proved their is little to no proof at all, despite public opinion, far too many he says she says, etc..And is not wonder (yea i know its Cali) that he was found not guilty on all counts. But im not here to defend MJ's legal life, whatever.

As far as him being irrelevant? Oh god no. That is a huge underestimation. See, people always say that when he does not top Thriller (which is impossible) that he is yesterdays news. But even Jackson's later albums are so high in popularity that they blow away even the best of what the music industry had to offer during his time. Albums like Bad and Dangerous sold about 30 million a piece and are some of the most successful albums in world history. I remember when he released his last album "Invincible" which sold 2 million in the US and 8 million Globally. Justin Timberlake released his album "Justified" around the same time. Justified sold 7 million globally. Yet critics called Justified a major success and invincible a faliure. Only because Jackson is held to a different standard to to success. Musically speaking the man was brilliant, great vocalist, hall of fame songwriter, double inductee into the Rock Hall, and the most awarded musician in human history. Who has sold over 500 million albums (counting solo and jackson 5) which even surpasses the beatles! Its flat about disgusting. But even Michael Jackson..since turning white has outsold most musician ever. The last time he toured was 1996 (HIStory Tour) which still holds the World Record for highest attendance figures, despite never touring the US! (Besides Hawaii). And that was after his reputation was wrecked.

So before you call him irrelivant, understand that for better or worse, he still has the fan base and respect in the music industry to be #1 again, a million times over. Plenty will bash, but just as many will see him perform and buy his stuff. You just cant help that. Does that make him great? Not neccisarily...but you can't deny the outcome.

Artists can sell more than anyone else in history a million times over, but at the end of the day, it means nothing if the music doesn't appeal to you.

My ears have never taken note of concert attendance figures/album sales figures, so save them....if you like the artist, just say so. B)

Artists can sell more than anyone else in history a million times over, but at the end of the day, it means nothing if the music doesn't appeal to you.

My ears have never taken note of concert attendance figures/album sales figures, so save them....if you like the artist, just say so. B)

No, your reading me all wrong. See, I didn't say that all those figures make Jackson's music good, although I would have to admit, even though his style is not my genre or any of that, we was amazingly talented on so many different levels. I can't think of any singles performer, not even Elvis or James Brown who was that multi-facited and skilled in so many different ways. Thats not even counting what he did for MTV, music videos, and his Genre of music. But if you think about it, Most of the Top sellers are usually very talented, at least in their genre. Thats why acts like NSYNC and Spice Girls are very popular for a short period of time, sell alot, but then die off. They do not have the continuing apeal of the more successful artists. I'm just saying Jackson's not irrelevant.

Well I hope i do not get blackballed for this but...

Thriller is by far the largest seling album World-Wide ever (104 million +) So its significance to music is extreme.

About Jackson, yes most people believe he is this disgusting guilty, etc... Although I will say even though I used to believe that, following the trial closely is what proved their is little to no proof at all, despite public opinion, far too many he says she says, etc..And is not wonder (yea i know its Cali) that he was found not guilty on all counts. But im not here to defend MJ's legal life, whatever.

As far as him being irrelevant? Oh god no. That is a huge underestimation. See, people always say that when he does not top Thriller (which is impossible) that he is yesterdays news. But even Jackson's later albums are so high in popularity that they blow away even the best of what the music industry had to offer during his time. Albums like Bad and Dangerous sold about 30 million a piece and are some of the most successful albums in world history. I remember when he released his last album "Invincible" which sold 2 million in the US and 8 million Globally. Justin Timberlake released his album "Justified" around the same time. Justified sold 7 million globally. Yet critics called Justified a major success and invincible a faliure. Only because Jackson is held to a different standard to to success. Musically speaking the man was brilliant, great vocalist, hall of fame songwriter, double inductee into the Rock Hall, and the most awarded musician in human history. Who has sold over 500 million albums (counting solo and jackson 5) which even surpasses the beatles! Its flat about disgusting. But even Michael Jackson..since turning white has outsold most musician ever. The last time he toured was 1996 (HIStory Tour) which still holds the World Record for highest attendance figures, despite never touring the US! (Besides Hawaii). And that was after his reputation was wrecked.

So before you call him irrelivant, understand that for better or worse, he still has the fan base and respect in the music industry to be #1 again, a million times over. Plenty will bash, but just as many will see him perform and buy his stuff. You just cant help that. Does that make him great? Not neccisarily...but you can't deny the outcome.

Michael Jackson has not sold 500 million albums,not even remotely so,more like 1200million as a solo artist and another 40 million as Jackson 5 so that is 250

Thriller isn't the best selling album of all time anywhere except Wikipedia (where the errant 104 + figure comes from). The actual associations that track such things for real report that the Eagles greatest hits has over taken Michael's Thriller at #2.

They also put Thrillers worldwide album sales at 45-60 million.

Michael Jackson has not sold 500 million albums,not even remotely so,more like 1200million as a solo artist and another 40 million as Jackson 5 so that is 250

he claims to have sold over 750 million, thats exagerated a bit. Thriller alone had 104 million. Bad had 30, Dangerous 29, HIStory 36...countless albums, especially w/ the jackson 5 puts him just above 500 when combined. World-Wide that is.

Thriller isn't the best selling album of all time anywhere except Wikipedia (where the errant 104 + figure comes from). The actual associations that track such things for real report that the Eagles greatest hits has over taken Michael's Thriller at #2.

Its actually from the Guinnes Book of World Records...certified 2007. I don't know if you consider that source legit.

Jerk. <_<

Yay, I'm really excited about this! :yay:

Though I'm not so excited about Akon and Will.i.am.

I'm glad someone else is here! B)

I have the Off The Wall and Bad special editions, so I'm looking forward to this!

I think people tend to conveniently forget the impact Michael Jackson had on the music industry, while all the time focusing on all of the non-music related news and gossip..

I mean, for a start, he's the best dancer I've ever seen... Combined with that voice. Dynamite!

I'm glad someone else is here! B)

I have the Off The Wall and Bad special editions, so I'm looking forward to this!

I think people tend to conveniently forget the impact Michael Jackson had on the music industry, while all the time focusing on all of the non-music related news and gossip..

I mean, for a start, he's the best dancer I've ever seen... Combined with that voice. Dynamite!

Yep. I have actually all of the studio albums that Quincy Jones has produced. I've always loved MJ, when I was about 6 years old I had a crush on him :lol:

Yes, that is so irritating, everytime I say something about Michael Jackson people respond like "PEDOPHILE, yuck he likes little kids, how can you like him?". I hate it. I don't even want to talk about Michael Jackson with people who can only see the rumours and the child molestation charges.

I KNOW, he is so amazing, I have his music videos on DVDs, and I'm so fascinated by him. I love dancing and I'm always copying his moves :lol: It took me 3 days to learn to do the moonwalk properly. And his voice, ahhh..

Its actually from the Guinnes Book of World Records...certified 2007. I don't know if you consider that source legit.

Guiness Book of World Records does not have any special information with regard to record sales, There is no international body that certifiies the numbers,record sales are often exaggerated by record companies as a source of promotion or what is found on Wikiepedia(which we know is edited by its readers)

Thrillers Worldwide sales probably over 50-55 million and it is without doubt the biggest selling album globally of all time

Eagles Greates Hits has not overtaken Thriller globally,only in the USA .

Yep. I have actually all of the studio albums that Quincy Jones has produced. I've always loved MJ, when I was about 6 years old I had a crush on him :lol:

Yes, that is so irritating, everytime I say something about Michael Jackson people respond like "PEDOPHILE, yuck he likes little kids, how can you like him?". I hate it. I don't even want to talk about Michael Jackson with people who can only see the rumours and the child molestation charges.

I KNOW, he is so amazing, I have his music videos on DVDs, and I'm so fascinated by him. I love dancing and I'm always copying his moves :lol: It took me 3 days to learn to do the moonwalk properly. And his voice, ahhh..

Yeah, especially on a board like this... I mean, people seem to just brush aside Jimmy's 'fling' with a 14 yr old aside, because he's Jimmy Page, and he's so cool and mysterious... (I'm not saying anyone has or will say this, I'm purely speculating for the sake of argument, BTW)

Anyway, back to the task in hand... I Have a live DVD from the Bad tour in '89... Back when he actually sung and danced, all live, no gimmicks... Amazing stuff!

Yeah, especially on a board like this... I mean, people seem to just brush aside Jimmy's 'fling' with a 14 yr old aside, because he's Jimmy Page, and he's so cool and mysterious... (I'm not saying anyone has or will say this, I'm purely speculating for the sake of argument, BTW)

Anyway, back to the task in hand... I Have a live DVD from the Bad tour in '89... Back when he actually sung and danced, all live, no gimmicks... Amazing stuff!

I bet! I have no tour DVDs, that's a shame because I really love to watch him performing live. I once almost bought the Dangerous tour DVD but I realized that I had no money. <_< And I was in Italy it was my last day so I couldn't come back. I've been looking for DVDs and stuff in Finland but I can't seem to find anything. :(

But, I have not missed all the tours and performances, thanks to Youtube and my friend who bought the Dangerous tour DVD. :D

Thrillers Worldwide sales probably over 50-55 million and it is without doubt the biggest selling album globally of all time

Eagles Greates Hits has not overtaken Thriller globally,only in the USA .

The RIAA cites that as a global figure, but as you said it is rather difficult to track.

Guiness hasn't had a lot to say on the subject since declaring Thriller the best selling album of all time in 1985. (At least online)

I'm getting sick and tired of these 'Anniversary' albums...

Can't he just come up with some new stuff instead?

<_<

(Not that I need it, though...)

But unreleased material is always good. :lol:

Yea he could come up with new stuff but I don't know if I'd like it. I prefer the 80's and 90's pop. His newest studio album is not that good.

Archived