The intro to Black Dog a panting dog?

Thanks! If you talk to him could you also ask him if that rumor about Satan being the 'fifth' member of the band is true and if he really does sing backround on "Hey Hey..." Sorry I thought it was obvious that i was joking about getting Jimmy on the "horn" Guess not. :huh:

Well aware of it. I thought I'd just have some fun with it. :lol:

The intro to Black Dog is just a bit of tape rewinding, right? That's what I've always thought.

What fascinates me is all the layering of voices at the fade-out of the song (starting circa 3:54 on the YouTube clip), while Jimmy is riffing away. I didn't even notice the voices until a few years ago, I posted a thread on the old forum about it to hear other people's thoughts on what the voices may be saying. The consensus was that it was Robert, and he was saying things like "push it" IIRC. :)

For some reason, the background voices are even easier to hear on the YouTube clip posted on page 1 of this thread. Hey - I heard the "Let's go!" at 4:something -- pretty neat.

See this is one of the reasons why Jimmy is such a damn genius as a producer: he has the voices churning around in a kind of holographic effect, just as the pattern of the song itself goes around, "like a race" I think JPJ says. And all of it is buried in the mix, like a treat waiting to be found.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a go at isolating the masked vocals a couple of years back.

The vocals are heavily masked but I was able to bring them out quite a bit, and this is the nearest I got ;

Ahhh, yeah yeah yeah, time for you to be moving

Yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah, yeah yeah, I want you to get moving on

Oh Baby, baby, ooh, keep movin'

Oh yes (to us), baby (to us), baby (to us)

Ba-by, ba-by, ba-by, ba-by-aby-abe

Ooooohh, baby

Ooh, oooohhhhhh, ooh

(I wasn't the first today)

Keep on, keep on, you're moving

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Girl I'm not so foolish now, now, now

The intro to Black Dog is just a bit of tape rewinding, right? That's what I've always thought.

What fascinates me is all the layering of voices at the fade-out of the song (starting circa 3:54 on the YouTube clip), while Jimmy is riffing away. I didn't even notice the voices until a few years ago, I posted a thread on the old forum about it to hear other people's thoughts on what the voices may be saying. The consensus was that it was Robert, and he was saying things like "push it" IIRC. :)

For some reason, the background voices are even easier to hear on the YouTube clip posted on page 1 of this thread. Hey - I heard the "Let's go!" at 4:something -- pretty neat.

See this is one of the reasons why Jimmy is such a damn genius as a producer: he has the voices churning around in a kind of holographic effect, just as the pattern of the song itself goes around, "like a race" I think JPJ says. And all of it is buried in the mix, like a treat waiting to be found.

What about the 'click' right before the band comes in after each vocal line. I imagine its Bonham queing the band by hitting his sticks together. Very cool.

Thanks! If you talk to him could you also ask him if that rumor about Satan being the 'fifth' member of the band is true and if he really does sing backround on "Hey Hey..." Sorry I thought it was obvious that i was joking about getting Jimmy on the "horn" Guess not. :huh:

Ha! Yeah, funny there's a French occult club in a Sommerset Maugham book called "La Chien Noire" -- The Black Dog. Oh, but there was this black mutt hanging around the studio when the were recording the song. Sure thing, Robert, and those references to Crowley's "May Queen" in Stairway are just window dressing. The Christians never had to play that album backwards, it's all there frontwards.

Frontwards, that's a Pavement song. B)

I can't believe i've heard this song probably a thousand times since bought Zep 4 like 30 years ago and i always just though it was a cool little throw away scraping guitar sound that Jimmy came up with to start the song but now I hear a panting dog. This would make sense obviously with the title of the song but also the outright horniness of Plant's lyrics. The supposed backward masking on Stairway is stupid bulshit but I think this is probably page aproximating the sound of a panting dog as best he can with a guitar. Has anyone heard this mentioned before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdlg3Q0NzJo So yah or nay?

In my opinion, what we're hearing at the beginning of the song is nothing more than Jimmy warming up his guitar - that's what I've always thought, and that's what I've read or heard countless times. Now that I think of it, though, it does seem to have some sort of odd effect on it, which seems to mimic the sound of a panting dog...

@ "click" comment: Yeah, again, as far as I'm aware, Bonzo tapped his sticks together between the verses...I can't remember the reason exactly, although I think I remember reading in a songbook that it was intended to make the song more difficult to replicate by other bands...

In my opinion, what we're hearing at the beginning of the song is nothing more than Jimmy warming up his guitar - that's what I've always thought, and that's what I've read or heard countless times. Now that I think of it, though, it does seem to have some sort of odd effect on it, which seems to mimic the sound of a panting dog...

@ "click" comment: Yeah, again, as far as I'm aware, Bonzo tapped his sticks together between the verses...I can't remember the reason exactly, although I think I remember reading in a songbook that it was intended to make the song more difficult to replicate by other bands...

Sounds like a guitar to me, too.

"Black Dog" has an odd time signature -- could that be why Bonzo kept tapping his sticks?

"Black Dog" has an odd time signature -- could that be why Bonzo kept tapping his sticks?

Yes, I think that has something to do with it...the explanation I gave said that as well, I think...I can't remember where I read it, though...

Ah, well.

EDIT: On the...less than official releases...it would appear that my opinion (cf. above) is validated...or so I hear...

In my opinion, what we're hearing at the beginning of the song is nothing more than Jimmy warming up his guitar

This thread is probably dead, by now, but I wanted to clarify that we all know that the sound is created by Jimmy and his guitar. The question is, did he make his guitar sound like a panting dog on purpose? And if he did, that's freakin' cool!

• 2 months later...
I'm inclined to agree with this. Page played through a Leslie cabinet on numerous occasions in the studio*, including the solo on Black Dog. It's the rotating speaker that produces the characteristic doppler efferct on The Wanton Song. To my ears he also uses it on Down By The Seaside.

RB

*dating back to his tenure with The Yardbirds

"Down By The Seaside" effect is most likely a tremelo setting on an amp set to the highest position. Similar sounding as a leslie. Sort of an approximation of a pedal steel sound. Country players like Pete Drake used the effect alot.

Never thought about it but the Black Dog intro just may be a panting dog. It does sound like one. Now the intro to ALS, not sure about that one.

The one that has puzzled me is Wanton Song. Is it a guitar solo in the middle or an organ? Jimmy has been asked this before. I read it in an interview years back. He states that it's done by guitar, but it sounds like an organ. If it is a guitar, he must have thrown some effects into it. Can anyone elaborate on this one?

It's a guitar played with a chorus effect to make it sound like an organ...I can do this with my guitar/effects set-up...it's very cool, no? B)

Thanks to all who have posted on Black Dog, never thought about the intro before, anyone who

owns a dog do they sit up when Black dog starts? Rather curious now. :unsure:

No but mine barks at the song Dogs by Pink Floyd and the Jane's Addiction song which name escapes me at the moment (been caught stealing, once when I was five...) which has a dog barking in it :lol:

No but mine barks at the song Dogs by Pink Floyd and the Jane's Addiction song which name escapes me at the moment (been caught stealing, once when I was five...) which has a dog barking in it :lol:
I know next time I hear Black Dog, ah it does sound like a panting dog.

I heard that the time signature changes every verse to make it harder for crappy bands to cover it, so Bonzo cued the guys to come in each time.

Also, I've heard that the intro is a warmup Jimmy did called "Waking Up In The Arms Of My Guitar" (I imagine that wasn't much of a warmup for him though...)

Rumors, Rumors... :wacko:

Archived