Robert still [hearts] Elvis, but Aretha is #1

FireOpal

Robert then Freddy. I love Aretha, Ray, Elvis and John but it is Robert's and Freddy's voices that I listen to on an almost daily basis because I just can't get enough of them. The others' voices are great and all but I'll be ok if I don't listen to them for an extended time. :)

Kiss of Fire (GREAT handle) has linked to Mr. Plant's write up, whereby you can click for the complete list. The lazy amongst you can simply read on:

100 Mary J. Blige

99 Steven Tyler

98 Stevie Nicks

97 Joe Cocker

96 B.B. King

95 Patti LaBelle

94 Karen Carpenter

93 Annie Lennox

92 Morrissey

91 Levon Helm

90 The Everly Brothers

89 Solomon Burke

88 Willie Nelson

87 Don Henley

86 Art Garfunkel

85 Sam Moore

84 Darlene Love

83 Patti Smith

82 Tom Waits

81 John Lee Hooker

80 Frankie Valli

79 Mariah Carey

78 Sly Stone

77 Merle Haggard

76 Steve Perry

75 Iggy Pop

74 James Taylor

73 Dolly Parton

72 John Fogerty

71 Toots Hibbert

70 Gregg Allman

69 Ronnie Spector

68 Wilson Pickett

67 Jerry Lee Lewis

66 Thom Yorke

65 David Ruffin

64 Axl Rose

63 Dion

62 Lou Reed

61 Roger Daltrey

60 Björk

59 Rod Stewart

58 Christina Aguilera

57 Eric Burdon

56 Mavis Staples

55 Paul Rodgers

54 Luther Vandross

53 Muddy Waters

52 Brian Wilson

51 Gladys Knight

50 Bonnie Raitt

49 Donny Hathaway

48 Buddy Holly

47 Jim Morrison

46 Patsy Cline

45 Kurt Cobain

44 Bobby "Blue" Bland

43 George Jones

42 Joni Mitchell

41 Chuck Berry

40 Curtis Mayfield

39 Jeff Buckley

38 Elton John

37 Neil Young

36 Bruce Springsteen

35 Dusty Springfield

34 Whitney Houston

33 Steve Winwood

32 Bono

31 Howlin' Wolf

30 Prince

29 Nina Simone

28 Janis Joplin

27 Hank Williams (Sr.)

26 Jackie Wilson

25 Michael Jackson

24 Van Morrison

23 David Bowie

22 Etta James

21 Johnny Cash

20 Smokey Robinson

19 Bob Marley

18 Freddie Mercury

17 Tina Turner

16 Mick Jagger

15 Robert Plant

14 Al Green

13 Roy Orbison

12 Little Richard

11 Paul McCartney

10 James Brown

09 Stevie Wonder

08 Otis Redding

07 Bob Dylan

06 Marvin Gaye

05 John Lennon

04 Sam Cooke

03 Elvis Presley

02 Ray Charles

01 Aretha Franklin

P.S. Robert has written a whole essay on Elvis for the RS feature. Not surprisingly, it's really good:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/24161972/page/3

I don't want to read too much into Robert's essay, but could this part where he's writing about the older Elvis be telling of his current situation with his old band mates -

"By then, because of the forces around him, it was difficult for him to stretch out with more contemporary songwriters. When he died, he was 42. I'm 18 years older than that now. But he didn't have many fresh liaisons to draw on — his old pals weren't going to bring him the new gospel. I know he wanted to express more. But what he did was he made it possible for me, as a singer, to become otherworldly."

P.S.S. One mo' thing then I'll shut up: just wanted to include the lovely (and kinda flirty) words of praise Alison Krauss has for ... Paul Rodgers, " His voice is so tough and so masculine," says Alison Krauss, who grew up a big fan of Paul Rodgers, "he might as well be standing there with a gun while he's singing." With his throaty, impeccably controlled roar, Rodgers was born to sing over big guitars — which he did again and again, most notably with pioneering rockers Free and the Seventies hitmaking machine Bad Company. From "All Right Now" to "Can't Get Enough," his combination of macho blues power and melodic sensitivity still sets the standard for hard-rock frontmen. Rodgers was idolized by the late Freddie Mercury (whom he is now replacing in Queen) and Lynyrd Skynyrd's Ronnie Van Zant. "The sound of his voice represents a whole kind of man to me," says Krauss. "Incredibly masculine, sexy, hardworking."

P.S.S. One mo' thing then I'll shut up: just wanted to include the lovely (and kinda flirty) words of praise Alison Krauss has for ... Paul Rodgers, " His voice is so tough and so masculine," says Alison Krauss, who grew up a big fan of Paul Rodgers, "he might as well be standing there with a gun while he's singing." With his throaty, impeccably controlled roar, Rodgers was born to sing over big guitars — which he did again and again, most notably with pioneering rockers Free and the Seventies hitmaking machine Bad Company. From "All Right Now" to "Can't Get Enough," his combination of macho blues power and melodic sensitivity still sets the standard for hard-rock frontmen. Rodgers was idolized by the late Freddie Mercury (whom he is now replacing in Queen) and Lynyrd Skynyrd's Ronnie Van Zant. "The sound of his voice represents a whole kind of man to me," says Krauss. "Incredibly masculine, sexy, hardworking."

Great words from Alison on Paul Rodgers. I've always loved Paul's powerful voice. Hard to understand why he only came in at #55. And Neil Young is at #37! There are quite a few people on this list who are amazing songwriters/musicians but really don't sing all that well.

It's a nice varied list. Steve Marriott should have been included though. In fact he should be in the top 10!

I like Alison Krauss's comments too and totally agree about Paul Rodgers. That's why I don't think he quite works with Queen, his vocals are just too cool and masculine for Queen's camp back catalogue.

I don't want to read too much into Robert's essay, but could this part where he's writing about the older Elvis be telling of his current situation with his old band mates -

"By then, because of the forces around him, it was difficult for him to stretch out with more contemporary songwriters. When he died, he was 42. I'm 18 years older than that now. But he didn't have many fresh liaisons to draw on — his old pals weren't going to bring him the new gospel. I know he wanted to express more. But what he did was he made it possible for me, as a singer, to become otherworldly."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elvis never wrote his own material and really never had a musical foil in the studio or onstage. He was always Elvis in a singular way and never part of a famous group. I don't see the parallel to Robert's scenario in relation to Jimmy and the others. Other than a brief era of Page/Plant, Plant's been doing as he's wished for 28 years.

I saw the full list on the Rolling Stone website earlier today. One thing that struck me as I read some of the endorsement comments by other singers was that considerations of technique and range don't seem that significant when singers assess their favourites. Chris Cornell,Iggy Pop and Van Morrison all indicate that their choices[Jeff Buckley,James Brown and Sam Cooke respectively] somehow transcend or bypass or overcome 'mere' technical issues with something that would seem to be almost indefinable.A mix of personality,will, bravery,commitment and soul comes close to summing it up. Cornell acknowledges Buckley's formidable technical ability but makes it clear-as the others do for their choices,especially Sam Cooke- that this alone is nowhere near enough. I found this interesting in that many music fans seem to rate singers on a 'technical' scale and yet the singers themselves seem to give other ideas more emphasis.

Oh-where's Tim Buckley?

Bob Dylan at #7 and Robert Plant at #15 does NOT make sense.

But it is an interesting poll because of the people who did the voting.

It does to me. I think Bono hit the nail right on the head... before Dylan, it was about "pretty" voices, technically good voices.

After Dylan, it was about REAL, individual voices. If you don't think the impact of that on Rock was huge, you are not paying attention (or else you're really young).

Plant is a great singer, but his voice is so singular, he didn't have near the same impact on how other singers perform, if you see what I mean. Well, other than David Coverdale.

B)

Bono's just wrong,as he so often is.Plausible but wrong. Howling Wolf ,Muddy Waters, Elvis,Little Richard,Robert Johnson,to name just a few -none of these are 'pretty' singers. All of them are as idiosyncratc and individualistic as Dylan. Importantly,they were exhibiting these qualities before Dylan and without his influence.Bono may not personally have heard any of them before Dylan but that doesn't make Dylan their precursor. A neat bit of rewriting of history to make the world fit his personal experience maybe?

Definitely, agree with you. No doubt Robert should be number one. Dylan as a singer no. But musically and lyrically Zimm should be right near the top. I do think Freddy Mercury belongs up there as well and somehow was ommitted.

Let's see what the real fans here want, even though this the Official Led Zeppelin Forum. Forget the shoddy Rolling Stone poll, here's the real one!

Who do you think are the top 5 singers of the Rock 'N'Roll Era?

In no particular order...

Elvis

Lennon + McCartney

Aretha

Janis Joplin

(&, since this is the Zep site...) Robert Plant

That's top singers... not necessarily most influential, since this is a contradiction to what I just posted about Dylan... :) But I never fail to go, WOW, when I hear these people sing.

For the Lennon nay-sayers, as a young man he could rock it! "Twist and Shout" to "Imagine" is a hell of a long way...

Bono's just wrong,as he so often is.Plausible but wrong. Howling Wolf ,Muddy Waters, Elvis,Little Richard,Robert Johnson,to name just a few -none of these are 'pretty' singers. All of them are as idiosyncratc and individualistic as Dylan. Importantly,they were exhibiting these qualities before Dylan and without his influence.Bono may not personally have heard any of them before Dylan but that doesn't make Dylan their precursor. A neat bit of rewriting of history to make the world fit his personal experience maybe?

I appreciate what you're saying, but although these people certainly did have those same qualities, they didn't have the wide-spread, main stream success Dylan did.

All those people impacted our favorite musicians quite a bit, obviously blues-based rock sprang from there. But Dylan paved the way for a gruff voice, a personal voice, to be succesful in the larger world, well beyond those genres.

I'm not sure what "The Rock and Roll era" is, when it is or was and who or what it includes and why or how but....excluding Robert Plant because he'll get loads of mentions here and it can be taken as read that he's one of my All Time Top 5, here goes

NO PARTICULAR ORDER-Joni Mitchell,James Brown,Jeff Buckley,Thom Yorke and Marvin Gaye.

Those are my faves at 22.29 13 Nov 08. Tomorrow at this time they'll be different...

Kiss of Fire (GREAT handle) has linked to Mr. Plant's write up, whereby you can click for the complete list. The lazy amongst you can simply read on:

100 Mary J. Blige

99 Steven Tyler

98 Stevie Nicks

97 Joe Cocker

96 B.B. King

95 Patti LaBelle

94 Karen Carpenter

93 Annie Lennox

92 Morrissey

91 Levon Helm

90 The Everly Brothers

89 Solomon Burke

88 Willie Nelson

87 Don Henley

86 Art Garfunkel

85 Sam Moore

84 Darlene Love

83 Patti Smith

82 Tom Waits

81 John Lee Hooker

80 Frankie Valli

79 Mariah Carey

78 Sly Stone

77 Merle Haggard

76 Steve Perry

75 Iggy Pop

74 James Taylor

73 Dolly Parton

72 John Fogerty

71 Toots Hibbert

70 Gregg Allman

69 Ronnie Spector

68 Wilson Pickett

67 Jerry Lee Lewis

66 Thom Yorke

65 David Ruffin

64 Axl Rose

63 Dion

62 Lou Reed

61 Roger Daltrey

60 Björk

59 Rod Stewart

58 Christina Aguilera

57 Eric Burdon

56 Mavis Staples

55 Paul Rodgers

54 Luther Vandross

53 Muddy Waters

52 Brian Wilson

51 Gladys Knight

50 Bonnie Raitt

49 Donny Hathaway

48 Buddy Holly

47 Jim Morrison

46 Patsy Cline

45 Kurt Cobain

44 Bobby "Blue" Bland

43 George Jones

42 Joni Mitchell

41 Chuck Berry

40 Curtis Mayfield

39 Jeff Buckley

38 Elton John

37 Neil Young

36 Bruce Springsteen

35 Dusty Springfield

34 Whitney Houston

33 Steve Winwood

32 Bono

31 Howlin' Wolf

30 Prince

29 Nina Simone

28 Janis Joplin

27 Hank Williams (Sr.)

26 Jackie Wilson

25 Michael Jackson

24 Van Morrison

23 David Bowie

22 Etta James

21 Johnny Cash

20 Smokey Robinson

19 Bob Marley

18 Freddie Mercury

17 Tina Turner

16 Mick Jagger

15 Robert Plant

14 Al Green

13 Roy Orbison

12 Little Richard

11 Paul McCartney

10 James Brown

09 Stevie Wonder

08 Otis Redding

07 Bob Dylan

06 Marvin Gaye

05 John Lennon

04 Sam Cooke

03 Elvis Presley

02 Ray Charles

01 Aretha Franklin

P.S. Robert has written a whole essay on Elvis for the RS feature. Not surprisingly, it's really good:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/24161972/page/3

This is a great mixture of singers I think. It is nice to see the variety of genres represented. I also like Alison's comments about Paul. She's so cool! (There are already a couple of country artists on the list and me thinks Alison should have made it on as well!)As usual there are some more people that were left off that I think should've been on there but , this list is fun to read I must admit. :)

"I just got your letter baby,

too bad you can't come home

I swear I'm goin' crazy

Sittin' here all alone

Since your gone

I got a mess of blues

I ain't slept a wink since Sunday

I can't eat a thing all day

Every day is just blue Monday

Since you've been away

Since you're gone

I got a mess of blues

Whops there goes a teardrop

Rolling down my face

If you cry when your in love

It sure ain't no disgrace

I gotta get myself together

Before I lose my mind

I'm gonna catch the next trian goin'

And leave my blues behind

Since you're gone

I got a mess of blues"

Robert can't escape his roots...and he shouldn't! B)

Sure there are alot of good singers but they're all POPULAR!! Boring in a way.

I rarely see obscure artists on these top 50 or 100 lists of anything. It's like the criteria is, So long as you have enough hit material that you'll be known by the majority of readers can you be on this list.

Oh well, I expect that from any mainstream type of magazine survey/list.

Sure there are alot of good singers but they're all POPULAR!! Boring in a way.

I rarely see obscure artists on these top 50 or 100 lists of anything. It's like the criteria is, So long as you have enough hit material that you'll be known by the majority of readers can you be on this list.

Oh well, I expect that from any mainstream type of magazine survey/list.

Well maybe you should go underground and dig for those obscure artists and put it in an underground magazine.Make us a top 100.

Most people hear what's put in front of them,not underneath them.Hence the lists!

You are being a bit condescending.You can't escape your demeanor!

Well maybe you should go underground and dig for those obscure artists and put it in an underground magazine.Make us a top 100.

Most people hear what's put in front of them,not underneath them.Hence the lists!

You are being a bit condescending.You can't escape your demeanor!

Hey...my opinion is that most lists of the kind are boring. If that's seen as condescending so be it.

If I put a 100 list out, so many would be so obscure, a vast majority would overlook it and not take much interest. Hence the reason such POPULAR artists are usually on these lists. I agree about what's put IN FRONT of people. Kinda like "spoonfed". I think you're being just as condescending there. But it's true. So wow, maybe my opinion has validity too.

My tastes DO go past the top 40 FM hits of the past. I think several here may feel that way as well. It's a BIG world out there and what's "put in front" of someone's ears is such a tiny portion of what's out there. This list represents that to me.

Hey...my opinion is that most lists of the kind are boring. If that's seen as condescending so be it.

If I put a 100 list out, so many would be so obscure, a vast majority would overlook it and not take much interest. Hence the reason such POPULAR artists are usually on these lists. I agree about what's put IN FRONT of people. Kinda like "spoonfed". I think you're being just as condescending there. But it's true. So wow, maybe my opinion has validity too.

My tastes DO go past the top 40 FM hits of the past. I think several here may feel that way as well. It's a BIG world out there and what's "put in front" of someone's ears is such a tiny portion of what's out there. This list represents that to me.

My tastes go way past the top 40 hits of the past too.But you can't say that at least 90% of that list weren't great.Most of them were put in front of you for that reason.

The list doesn't take away any of the validity of those obscure people in my book, or yours,I'm sure.The lists are subjective and I think the matter of importance relies on the maker.

Your list may have 5 people that agree with you and theirs probably have 95 that will agree with them.Theirs is fun to look at.Yours isn't.

My tastes go way past the top 40 hits of the past too.But you can't say that at least 90% of that list weren't great.Most of them were put in front of you for that reason.

The list doesn't take away any of the validity of those obscure people in my book, or yours,I'm sure.The lists are subjective and I think the matter of importance relies on the maker.

Your list may have 5 people that agree with you and theirs probably have 95 that will agree with them.Theirs is fun to look at.Yours isn't.

Mine may not be "fun to look at" because of the unknown quantity. That's a general pattern, again reflected in the popularity of such artists on these lists.

And just think, if people heard alot of what they might be missing they might sing a different tune. But I doubt you would, you've already CLOSED your mind and ears to it in your statement.

Very narrow. I hadn't gotten personal with this but your statement takes it to that level. Shame on you and your condescending personal touch.

Yeah, look at the maker,

Rolling Stone Magazine

Is that not correct. :rolleyes:

Mine may not be "fun to look at" because of the unknown quantity. That's a general pattern, again reflected in the popularity of such artists on these lists.

And just think, if people heard alot of what they might be missing they might sing a different tune. But I doubt you would, you've already CLOSED your mind and ears to it in your statement.

Very narrow. I hadn't gotten personal with this but your statement takes it to that level. Shame on you and your condescending personal touch.

Yeah, look at the maker,

Rolling Stone Magazine

Is that not correct. :rolleyes:

I listen to everything from Jazz to funk to the blues to The Clancy Brothers to the Limeliters to Louis Prima to The Kingston Trio to Roger Miller to Buck Owens to Roy Clark to Al Dimeola to Jaco Pastorius to Stanley Clarke and on and on and on.I have no shame and nothing to be ashamed of.You are still patronizing me and countless others with your "obscure musician superiority"

Let's see,the list should have come from Circus?Creem?Billboard?Playboy?People?Time?

I dispute some folks on there but the cream of the crop are there.Correct?

I listen to everything from Jazz to funk to the blues to The Clancy Brothers to the Limeliters to Louis Prima to The Kingston Trio to Roger Miller to Buck Owens to Roy Clark to Al Dimeola to Jaco Pastorius to Stanley Clarke and on and on and on.I have no shame and nothing to be ashamed of.You are still patronizing me and countless others with your "obscure musician superiority"

Let's see,the list should have come from Circus?Creem?Billboard?Playboy?People?Time?

I dispute some folks on there but the cream of the crop are there.Correct?

Mine was a general statement of the populace not just this board. YOU took it on yourself to take and MAKE it personal. YOU patronized me first. I have no dispute with you personally in this and don't doubt your musical tastes. I stand by my posts.

Sure, there's a 'cream of the crop' among POPULAR rocknroll era singers. And YES, I do like a great many of them, but it only scratches the surface and personally I have many more favorites I like better that aren't listed. They aren't necessarily artists that a "put in front of your face". They must be sought out. I wouldn't give much creedence to the other magazines you listed here for a top 100.

In rock music there are only two innovators as I see it,

1 ELVIS PRESLEY

2 ROBERT PLANT

Who else inspired generations of imitators? Coverdale?

I think not. How many "I do too" have there been...

While there are certainly talented vocalists out there I can only really boil it down to two who have had the greatest impact and created a whole look, sound and style.

That's who they were, no posers please.

There is no replacement for Robert Plant. There is no replacement for Elvis. Everyone else...bow down before the Gods of rock vocals. Okay-Robert Johnson...you can stand up!!!

Oh yes and another thing, there is no Led without Robert, he was meant to be...so it was and is.

Ever Onward.

Thank ya...thank ya very mush....Train I ride... :P

It does to me. I think Bono hit the nail right on the head... before Dylan, it was about "pretty" voices, technically good voices.

After Dylan, it was about REAL, individual voices. If you don't think the impact of that on Rock was huge, you are not paying attention (or else you're really young).

Plant is a great singer, but his voice is so singular, he didn't have near the same impact on how other singers perform, if you see what I mean. Well, other than David Coverdale.

B)

Sorry, I happen to like technically good voices. It doesn't have to be all about technique, but it is important to me. It's what my ear likes to hear. Maybe your ear likes something different. To each his/her own.

Of course Dylan was a huge impact. He's an incredible musician and songwriter. He's unique and one-of-a-kind. I just don't happen to be crazy about his voice.

I have always paid attention, and no, I'm not really young. I saw Zeppelin live if that gives you a general idea of my generation.

Mine was a general statement of the populace not just this board. YOU took it on yourself to take and MAKE it personal. YOU patronized me first. I have no dispute with you personally in this and don't doubt your musical tastes. I stand by my posts.

Sure, there's a 'cream of the crop' among POPULAR rocknroll era singers. And YES, I do like a great many of them, but it only scratches the surface and personally I have many more favorites I like better that aren't listed. They aren't necessarily artists that a "put in front of your face". They must be sought out. I wouldn't give much creedence to the other magazines you listed here for a top 100.

Your original post had a certain snobbery to it.

I counted about 13 names on that list that were probably obscure to most folks and if they wanted to know about them, they probably googled them.It didn't necessarily or specifically say "rocknroll".It says 100 BEST singers of all time.

I'm guessing you're someone who lives on the run from the IRS(lower section post) because of a trust fund/inheritence and probably lives in a coffee house internet room and has nothing better to do than spew their musical insight to impress young people, is where you're at.Tell me I'm wrong.Pay your taxes and grow up already.Old man!

Your original post had a certain snobbery to it.

I counted about 13 names on that list that were probably obscure to most folks and if they wanted to know about them, they probably googled them.It didn't necessarily or specifically say "rocknroll".It says 100 BEST singers of all time.

I'm guessing you're someone who lives on the run from the IRS(lower section post) because of a trust fund/inheritence and probably lives in a coffee house internet room and has nothing better to do than spew their musical insight to impress young people, is where you're at.Tell me I'm wrong.Pay your taxes and grow up already.Old man!

Wow, you sure turned this into a personal thing, hey asshole ! You can guess all you want about my lifestyle, but I don't need to impress anyone and have no intention of that. You make some pretty ridiculous assumptions you have no idea about.

You take a post I generalize on as YOUR OWN, and make attacks. What a dick !

Fuck you.

Archived