Robert still [hearts] Elvis, but Aretha is #1

FireOpal

Robert Plant voted for Elvis Presley as the greatest singer of the rock era, and didn't place too badly himself: ranking #15. Here's the text of the Reuters article:

Aretha Franklin greatest singer in rock era: poll

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – She's already the Queen of Soul, but now Aretha Franklin has been named the greatest singer of the rock era in a poll conducted by Rolling Stone magazine.

Franklin, 66, came in ahead of Ray Charles at No. 2, Elvis Presley at No. 3, Sam Cooke at No. 4 and John Lennon at No. 5, according to the magazine's survey of 179 musicians, producers, Rolling Stone editors, and other music-industry insiders.

The 100-strong list will be published on Friday, when Rolling Stone hits the newsstands with four different covers.

The issue includes testimonials from musicians. R&B singer Mary J. Blige, for example, writes that Franklin is "the reason why women want to sing." Former Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant, who was No. 15 on the list, describes Presley's voice as "confident, insinuating and taking no prisoners."

Besides Franklin, the only other living people in the top 10 were Bob Dylan at No. 7 and Stevie Wonder at No. 9. Marvin Gaye was No. 6, Otis Redding No. 8, and James Brown No. 10.

Other notables included Paul McCartney at No. 11, one place ahead of his idol, Little Richard; and Mick Jagger at No. 16, also one ahead of a key influence, Tina Turner. Among the top 25, 50-year-old Michael Jackson was the youngest, coming in at No. 25.

Voters included Metallica frontman James Hetfield, folk singers David Crosby and Yusuf Islam, Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, punk rock veteran Iggy Pop and English pop star James Blunt. They each submitted their top 20 choices, and an accounting firm tabulated the results.

(Reporting by Dean Goodman; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

Freddie didn't even make the top 10? What the hell is wrong with them? :o

And even though he was one of the greatest songwriters ever, Bob Dylan is definitely not one of rock's top 10 greatest singers.

Something wrong with Rolling Stone, when they don't list Freddie in the top 10, but have Dylan there (as he's not a vocalist in that calibre)... :slapface:

R B)

Glad Robert voted for Elvis. Curiously,I actually think Elvis is sometimes slightly under-rated as an actual singer.Certainly he tends to be perceived as an 'icon' or 'influence' because of various strong visual images that he's associated with.3rd is about the very lowest I'd put him. I've always thought that the visual stuff only works and survives because he was a marvellous singer. As it's customary to moan about these polls,my gripe would be John Lennon anywhere near the top 10.There!

I wouldn't worry too much about this poll. Even though the people voting are pretty reputable, I've always had a probem with RS's polls. Usually somewhat biased.

Exactly. If you ain't on Jann Wenner's (RS publisher) i-pod or jukebox collection, you ain't diddly in Rolling Stone's eyes. That goes for Wenner's influence on Rock and Roll Hall of Fame picks as well.

I agree with the #1 choice - Aretha is a force of nature. Her voice sounded positively flammable back in the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kkgQHcdlZU

But it's a pity that a few younger singers didn't get a nod though. Eddie Vedder has been very influential. I also think Ian McCulloch is criminally overlooked in America.

Exactly. If you ain't on Jann Wenner's (RS publisher) i-pod or jukebox collection, you ain't diddly in Rolling Stone's eyes. That goes for Wenner's influence on Rock and Roll Hall of Fame picks as well.

Definitely agree with you on the Hall of Fame picks. Patti Smith is a prime example. Does she deserve to be there? Absolutely not!

Too bad lyrical abilities were not included with the poll.Plant would have placed no lower than third overall.

Plant would have placed first in my book. After hearing the first Zeppelin album in it's entirety my whole perspective in regards to music changed for the better, and Robert was a huge reason why.

Definitely agree with you on the Hall of Fame picks. Patti Smith is a prime example. Does she deserve to be there? Absolutely not!

Sorry, Dave, she absolutely does! :o Back in the day, Horses was one of those albums that everybody I knew owned, and it was incredibly influential. And she's still amazing today!

Plant would have placed first in my book. After hearing the first Zeppelin album in it's entirety my whole perspective in regards to music changed for the better, and Robert was a huge reason why.

Well,you've twisted my arm,though it didn't need twisting.With McCartney in the mix....Depending on my mindframe,allow me to fluctuate.

Definitely, agree with you. No doubt Robert should be number one. Dylan as a singer no. But musically and lyrically Zimm should be right near the top. I do think Freddy Mercury belongs up there as well and somehow was ommitted.

Let's see what the real fans here want, even though this the Official Led Zeppelin Forum. Forget the shoddy Rolling Stone poll, here's the real one!

Who do you think are the top 5 singers of the Rock 'N'Roll Era?

Well,you've twisted my arm,though it didn't need twisting.With McCartney in the mix....Depending on my mindframe,allow me to fluctuate.

I have enjoyed many singers myself over the years myself from James Brown, Marvin Gaye to Jeff Buckley and for me Robert Plant is still the one I go back to. How Many More Times to Fortune Teller and everything in between.

I don't take these polls too much to heart. It's so subjective. Some I agree with - Elvis, Aretha, Sam Cooke, Ray Charles etc. No denying their incredible vocals. John Lennon, while I like his voice, he like Dylan I think of more as stronger lyricists than singers.

Archived