best jonesy bits

caroselambra~

John Paul Jones didn't play on "Battle Of Evermore" at all. Jimmy Page did the acoustic guitar and mandolin parts himself. "Going To California", "Gallows Pole", & "That's The Way" feature Jonesy on mandolin.

I thought he played mandolin on it during concerts though?

I thought he played mandolin on it during concerts though?

No, he plays acoustic guitar and sings the Sandy Denny parts in concerts, whilst Jimmy plays mandolin. Your probably thinking of "Going To California" or "That's The Way"; both of those songs feature Jonesy on mandolin, both in studio and in concert.

No, he plays acoustic guitar and sings the Sandy Denny parts in concerts, whilst Jimmy plays mandolin. Your probably thinking of "Going To California" or "That's The Way"; both of those songs feature Jonesy on mandolin, both in studio and in concert.

Thanks - could very well be I've mixed up my songs!

Thanks - could very well be I've mixed up my songs!

Haha, no problem it happens to the best of us. And by the way, your totally right, Jonesy is a fantastic mandolin player, and a great musician in general. I've seen/heard some of his solo work post-Zep, and he's still got it! His contribution to the band was totally underrated.

For me...The Lemon Song...I don't "Air Bass Guitar" to many songs but that one always makes me...and having listened to many bootlegs in the last few months especially the 1975 soundboards.. I am just damned impressed how good he was show to show....And as for keyboards I also pick Thank You...both South Hampton and Blueberry Hill...in all honesty though there is really just too much to chose from...

I love it too and I thought Robert did a great version of it with Strange Sensation in 2001.

I've never heard that, actually! Must admit events in 1998 made me somewhat prejudiced against Robert for some time, if you know what I mean.... But I will find it and give it a listen.

I've never heard that, actually! Must admit events in 1998 made me somewhat prejudiced against Robert for some time, if you know what I mean.... But I will find it and give it a listen.

I'd give it a listen - it's fairly true to the original with that psychedelic Strange Sensation twist to it :D

• 4 months later...
my favourite jonesy bit has to be the battle of evermore mandolin, closely followed by the keyboard in trampled underfoot

what's your fave jpj non bass part?

My favorites from JPJ would probably be the bass in achilles, mando in going to california, and the keys in trampled under foot (by the way, Jimmy played the mando on the battle of evermore)

I don't think any one has said any thing about the work he did on the "In Through The Out Door" album so I will say "Hot Dog" and of course "Carouselambra"!

But I still can't put a single label of a wost and least liked song...I like every thing this group recorded.

I don't think any one has said any thing about the work he did on the "In Through The Out Door" album so I will say "Hot Dog" and of course "Carouselambra"!

Hot Dog live really is good to listen to for Jonesy piano playing. South Bound Suarez and Darlene really capture how fun he could play up a song, on the piano, as well. Peace.

John Paul jones is my favorite member of Led Zeppelin mainly becuase I feel that I'm kinda in his position in my band...His best moment is carouselambra. I love his piano work thats my best instrument and its definetely one of his best. and of course misty mountain hop :D

John Paul jones is my favorite member of Led Zeppelin mainly becuase I feel that I'm kinda in his position in my band...His best moment is carouselambra. I love his piano work thats my best instrument and its definetely one of his best. and of course misty mountain hop :D

Back when I was playing (drum's and lead singer), in one of my band's we would open up with "Misty Mountain Hop" or "Rock and Roll". "Misty Mountain Hop" was better for me as it's a good song to get warmed up to. We ended up dropping "Rock and Roll" all together replacing it with "Black Dog".

In the early day's (1986-1988) we had a keyboard player and played "No Quarter" and "All of My Love" along with about 5 or 6 other Zeppelin songs.

Very cool, Misty Mountain Hop is a good one to drum on. The keyboard part can get a bit boring after awhile :zzz:

Yes, it's actually a plain and simple song. The multilevel guitar track's sort-a give it the ompp... to keep you awake, that and the screaming vox! That's why I liked to open a show with it, it was a easy(er) song to play on the drum's (for me) and I could warm up my arm's and voice in just a few min's. When we lost our keyboardist we kept playing the song, I just told the guitarist to play the intro with the opening note's to replace the Rhodes lick's.

Yeah, i wouldn't consider myself a gifted guitarist but even I can play this song on guitar, and drums, I love the drum part, its probably the hardest part of it all, considering how easy the others are. If you can learn the riff and A D G Chords your set! When you lost your keyboardist you could've filled it with the bass as well. I could probably record the whole thing myself, except the fact that I can't sing to save my life.

Yeah, i wouldn't consider myself a gifted guitarist but even I can play this song on guitar, and drums, I love the drum part, its probably the hardest part of it all, considering how easy the others are. If you can learn the riff and A D G Chords your set! When you lost your keyboardist you could've filled it with the bass as well. I could probably record the whole thing myself, except the fact that I can't sing to save my life.

I hear ya, I had a hard time at first convincing my bass player to keep it simple while the guitar does the back and forth chord's at the start of the verses.

"Just stay on "A" for a bit dude!" He He

Mandolin - That's the Way - BBC Sessions

Piano - South Bound Suarez

Other Keyboards - No Quarter 1977/79 live

Bass - 4 sticks (although it's much clearer on the pre-vocal mix) Ramble On a close second.

Guitar - Ten Years Gone live

Bass Pedal - All of them

Vocal - None of them

I hear ya, I had a hard time at first convincing my bass player to keep it simple while the guitar does the back and forth chord's at the start of the verses.

"Just stay on "A" for a bit dude!" He He

Haha, yeah, I can see where he's coming from, when I play the keyboard part I always like to make the left hand on the lower bass end of the keyboard do the back and forth thing

The layering of recorder work at the beginning of Stairway.It sets the tone virtually at the outset for me.I don't tire of the song and apparently I'm in the minority.I'm suprised JPJ didn't play recorder on any other Led Zeppelin tracks.

That's not a recorder. It's a mellotron, a keyboard that has the flute (among other) sounds sampled on an embedded series of magnetic tapes inside, which are triggered by pressing the keys. The Beatles used the same device and sound for "Strawberry Fields Forever".

Archived