best jonesy bits

caroselambra~

I Like JPJ's parts on Fool in the Rain. I like all the keys in your namesake song. I have to say all the bass parts on LZ1/LZ2 are great as well.

JPJ's persoanlity comes through his instruments. His Keyboards sound sounds mystical. Which to me is intorspective. His humorus talkative affable side is his funky bass playing.

Mc7

Can I have a bass part, please?

(And if I can, it's the intro to Dazed and Confused, which is the song that first introduced me to Zeppelin, and hooked me forever--admittedly, it was Jimmy's unearthly opening notes that did it, but JPJ's bass line preceding it made me stop whatever I was doing and listen, and now whenever I hear it I know something really special is coming!)

Can I have a bass part, please?

(And if I can, it's the intro to Dazed and Confused, which is the song that first introduced me to Zeppelin, and hooked me forever--admittedly, it was Jimmy's unearthly opening notes that did it, but JPJ's bass line preceding it made me stop whatever I was doing and listen, and now whenever I hear it I know something really special is coming!)

VH1-classic aired "The Song Remains the Same" this afternoon and I saw that part on D&C and I know exactly what you mean about the bass part hooking you and then when Jimmy comes in.......ah, powerful stuff!!

VH1-classic aired "The Song Remains the Same" this afternoon and I saw that part on D&C and I know exactly what you mean about the bass part hooking you and then when Jimmy comes in.......ah, powerful stuff!!

Yes it does. I also love when they break into "If you're going to San Francisco" and they show the camera on JPJ and JB interacting with each other and smiling.

Obviously there are many great stamps Jonesy put into the music. No Quarter live definately was a high point of any concert where it was performed.

On record my favorite is during Dazed when Jimmy is playing the bow part and Jonesy is just playing his line. Before the end of it, he begins to change it up before joining Page on the last note before the lift off into the solo/jam part. Subtle, but genius - just like most everything else JPJ has ever done with Zep.

I am really looking forward to hearing how he and Jimmy sound today in the studio with each other!!

• 3 weeks later...

The keys on In the Light are too often overlooked in favor of No Quarter, because NQ became a live favorite and ITL was never performed. But JPJ created a great mood-piece in ITL every much an equal to NQ, Kashmir, and Rain Song.

I also love the intro organ on Your Time is Gonna Come. He did something kind of similar to that with the intro of Thank You on the Blueberry Hill Bootleg. That whole gospel/soul feel was really unique in the hard rock idiom.

In his solo career, JPJ has emphasized his bass playing more than the keyboards. It seems like that's how he's seen now (or the mandolin he plays at the bluegrass festivals). I don't think he'll ever be fully appreciated for his full multi-instrumentalism.

The keys on In the Light are too often overlooked in favor of No Quarter, because NQ became a live favorite and ITL was never performed. But JPJ created a great mood-piece in ITL every much an equal to NQ, Kashmir, and Rain Song.

I also love the intro organ on Your Time is Gonna Come. He did something kind of similar to that with the intro of Thank You on the Blueberry Hill Bootleg. That whole gospel/soul feel was really unique in the hard rock idiom.

In his solo career, JPJ has emphasized his bass playing more than the keyboards. It seems like that's how he's seen now (or the mandolin he plays at the bluegrass festivals). I don't think he'll ever be fully appreciated for his full multi-instrumentalism.

True - In the Light is another good example of showcasing JPJ's many talents. I absolutely love the organ intro on the Blueberry Hill bootleg. Very cool.

The layering of recorder work at the beginning of Stairway.It sets the tone virtually at the outset for me.I don't tire of the song and apparently I'm in the minority.I'm suprised JPJ didn't play recorder on any other Led Zeppelin tracks.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes it does. I also love when they break into "If you're going to San Francisco" and they show the camera on JPJ and JB interacting with each other and smiling.

i love that too And on the live versions of battle of evermore in 1977 he sang the sandy denny vocals and did a grrreat job and of course no quarter

another amazing thing, which i'm sure many know already, is how he changes shirts during D&C.

Seriously though, i think the bass in TSRTS is one of his best efforts. He climbs the neck until he runs out of frets and slams back down to the low notes, all accomodating Jimmy's jangling 12 string. That is some of the best r&r ever written.

I frggin' LOVE Jonesy's work on the following songs:

• What Is and What Should Never Be (the whole song)
  • The Lemon Song - same as above.
  • Heartbreaker (specially when Percy starts singing!)
  • The beginning of Dazed and Confused
  • The organ on Your Time is Gonna Come
  • The mandolin on The Battle of Evermore
  • Trampled Under Foot of course
  • For Your life! that bass kills me everytime!
  • Achilles Last Stand... he and Bonzo = EPICNESS
  • Fool in The Rain

And many more...

Yeah, it would have been easier to say 80% of all LZ songs, but there are those bits that make me wish I knew how to play bass!

I think John Paul Jones had to be the most professional musician in the group. He knows how to play nearly every godam instrument!

He and Bonzo shall remain as the backbone of Led Zeppelin... it was because of them, the reason why Plant and Jimmy could be so flexible and do nearly what they wanted during concerts.

• 4 weeks later...
my favourite jonesy bit has to be the battle of evermore mandolin, closely followed by the keyboard in trampled underfoot

what's your fave jpj non bass part?

John Paul Jones didn't play on "Battle Of Evermore" at all. Jimmy Page did the acoustic guitar and mandolin parts himself. "Going To California", "Gallows Pole", & "That's The Way" feature Jonesy on mandolin.

Archived