Parnelli Awards (Robert Plant tribute speech)

I hate to reveal my ignorance, but what ARE the Parnelli Awards (I assume they're an industry award)?

"Since 2001, scores of our highest achievers and most admired innovators have been awarded the Parnelli. The award recognizes pioneering, influential professionals and their contributions, honoring both individuals and companies. It is truly the "Oscar®" of the Live Event Industry."

http://www.parnelliawards.com/

I hate to reveal my ignorance, but what ARE the Parnelli Awards (I assume they're an industry award)?

Since 2001, scores of our highest achievers and most admired innovators have been awarded the Parnelli. The award recognizes pioneering, influential professionals and their contributions, honoring both individuals and companies. Much more then just being about the person who gets the great gig and pulls it off flawlessly, the Parnelli is also about moving our industry forward with the same qualities that defined the person for whom it is named.

Named after Rick “Parnelli” O’Brien, an extraordinary production manager and human being, the award is given to those who, like O’Brien, exemplify the “four Hs:” Humanity, humility, honesty and humor.

Oops, sorry, didn't see Ninelives has already posted about it.

Before he was a roadie for Led Zeppelin, Dennis Sheehan was a roadie for Cartoone on their first tour of the U.S. in 1969 -- where they played several shows with Led Zeppelin. In fact Sheehan got that job through Peter Grant, which is how he ended up working for Zep a few years later.

Said Sheehan:

"I had never been to America, and I was looking forward to it. And we were one of a whole series of acts on that tour, back when you'd do a 45 minute set and get off stage. We didn't have an extra roadie at the time so it was up to me to get them on, get the mics up and take care of the equipment. The bills had a wide variety of acts; Sun Ra, Led Zeppelin, MC5, Spirit, the Everly Brothers; all appearing together. All these different musicians playing together in these big clubs. And we didn't have separate dressing rooms. You each just took your own section. It was a great time with great shows."

He's changed so much it's hard to see why I should care.

I'm curious, from your perspective, how has he changed? I know that he has because its just part of the process of getting older. I know that I'm not the same person that I was twenty years ago. I can see myself becoming the person that I wanted to be when I grew up.

I find this interesting because I've noticed other people expressing similar sentiments lately.

I do think that its okay to lose interest in what a person is doing, musically or otherwise but a part of you still cares and wishes them the best. :)

I'm curious, from your perspective, how has he changed?

It's a change in the weather.

I know that he has because its just part of the process of getting older. I know that I'm not the same person that I was twenty years ago. I can see myself becoming the person that I wanted to be when I grew up.

I find this interesting because I've noticed other people expressing similar sentiments lately.

I do think that its okay to lose interest in what a person is doing, musically or otherwise but a part of you still cares and wishes them the best. :)

Great, let's all lose interest in each other and I wish you all the best.

Archived