what song started you on Zeppelin?

walrus15427

Well this coming late May or early June it will be exactly 40 years since I first heard a Zep song and it changed my musical life then as a 12 year old kid and I am still here. :rolleyes:

Communication Breakdown was the one that did it B)

Probably Dazed and Confused. The guitar really got a hold on my soul.

I'm really partial to Gallow's Pole now. I really dig the words to that song. What a great story it tells...

The guitar in Since I've Been Loving You makes me get goose pimples all over and sends chills up and down my spine...yeah, Jimmy is the shizz!! :D

Same here. Dazed and Confused and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You hooked me immediately. Does anyone remember those laser light shows they used to do? I went to the LZ one like 15 times. The Floyd one was pretty kickin' too.

Never saw them but I do remember they had the Zep, Floyd and I think the Stones.

Never saw them but I do remember they had the Zep, Floyd and I think the Stones.

I know in NYC, they used to have these shows at the Hayden Planetarium. Which was part of the American Museum of Natural History. Never saw one of these shows.

I know in NYC, they used to have these shows at the Hayden Planetarium. Which was part of the American Museum of Natural History. Never saw one of these shows.

Yeah, they were at the Planetarium here, too. They stopped doing them because people were bringing "illegal substances." I mean who would think of getting high or tripping at a LZ or Floyd laser show?! B)

I was always "aware" of Led Zeppelin and their songs, namely Stairway to Heaven, Rock and Roll, Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love, Kashmir, Battle of Evermore, etc., but the one song that got me to totally delve into listening to all of Led Zeppelin was The Rainsong.

I was on my way back from a long business trip and driving back home. I was about 30-miles out of town till I was finally able to get a decent FM stereo signal. Tired from my 9-hour drive, hungry and feeling a bit "mellow", if you will, suddenly this song came over the radio that just blew me away. It was The Rainsong.

I had taken about a 25-year break from playing guitar and had just picked it up again as a way to release stress (and pick up some trying to figure out songs to play!). So once I heard The Rainsong, I told myself I was going to learn that song if it were the last thing I did! After hours and hours of practicing it, I finally mastered it. To this day, its my favorite Led Zeppelin song to play on guitar.

So while listening to The Rainsong, I decided to learn a few other tunes from Led Zeppelin. Next came That's The Way, What Is And What Should Never Be, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Gallows Pole, Over The Hills And Far Away, and Thank You.

I ended up buying the entire Led Zeppelin collection within a year.

DT

I was always "aware" of Led Zeppelin and their songs, namely Stairway to Heaven, Rock and Roll, Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love, Kashmir, Battle of Evermore, etc., but the one song that got me to totally delve into listening to all of Led Zeppelin was The Rainsong.

I was on my way back from a long business trip and driving back home. I was about 30-miles out of town till I was finally able to get a decent FM stereo signal. Tired from my 9-hour drive, hungry and feeling a bit "mellow", if you will, suddenly this song came over the radio that just blew me away. It was The Rainsong.

I had taken about a 25-year break from playing guitar and had just picked it up again as a way to release stress (and pick up some trying to figure out songs to play!). So once I heard The Rainsong, I told myself I was going to learn that song if it were the last thing I did! After hours and hours of practicing it, I finally mastered it. To this day, its my favorite Led Zeppelin song to play on guitar.

So while listening to The Rainsong, I decided to learn a few other tunes from Led Zeppelin. Next came That's The Way, What Is And What Should Never Be, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Gallows Pole, Over The Hills And Far Away, and Thank You.

I ended up buying the entire Led Zeppelin collection within a year.

DT

what a great story! how long ago was that?

It was the fall of 1997 and I was in university for the fist time. We had a party at our house and later in the night, most people had left for the local university club or downtown bar scene. My best buddy new I was into mostly glam rock (Poison, Warrant, Motley Crue, etc) but was just starting to expand my musical horizon. He said I've got some real music for you and brought out Led Zep IV and blasted Rock And Roll. It just simply blew my f**king mind. Needless the say I was hooked.

what a great story! how long ago was that?

Thanks Slave to Zep!

I'm 48. I picked up guitar in 1977. Played for 2 years, sold it to pay for college and 25 years later, finally had enough money and time to pick it up again just recently. And that's to no help or stimulus packages from Obama too! B)

Since then, I've purchased 5 guitars; 1-Martin D28 (to match JP's), 2-Martin 12string, 3-Lake Placid Blue Strat (to match JP's), 4-Satin Red Strat (used for Pink Floyd/David Gilmour tone), 5-Replica Jimmy Page "Dragon Telecaster", that I value the most! Custom built by yours truly and built to my specs/preferences. Its priceless! The only person I'd ever give it to is the man himself...JP! I'm still in the market for a great JP Les Paul. Haven't found that "perfect" one yet! <_<

The actual story of when this all happened was 3 years ago this past October.

DT

Thanks Slave to Zep!

I'm 48. I picked up guitar in 1977. Played for 2 years, sold it to pay for college and 25 years later, finally had enough money and time to pick it up again just recently. And that's to no help or stimulus packages from Obama too! B)

Since then, I've purchased 5 guitars; 1-Martin D28 (to match JP's), 2-Martin 12string, 3-Lake Placid Blue Strat (to match JP's), 4-Satin Red Strat (used for Pink Floyd/David Gilmour tone), 5-Replica Jimmy Page "Dragon Telecaster", that I value the most! Custom built by yours truly and built to my specs/preferences. Its priceless! The only person I'd ever give it to is the man himself...JP! I'm still in the market for a great JP Les Paul. Haven't found that "perfect" one yet! <_<

The actual story of when this all happened was 3 years ago this past October.

DT

thanks! wow sounds like you are really into your music, that's great! hope you find the les paul.... perhaps someone on here can help you with that search.

Archived