what song started you on Zeppelin?

walrus15427

:D The whole 4th album was my introduction to Zep :)

Mine too, 9. But the very first song I heard was Stairway, on the radio, at my mom's kitchen. I was hooked immediatelly. One of my best fiends had the LZ IV and introduced me to the album. The rest is history. B);)

Mine too, 9. But the very first song I heard was Stairway, on the radio, at my mom's kitchen. I was hooked immediatelly. One of my best fiends had the LZ IV and introduced me to the album. The rest is history. B);)

My brother had the record and something made me "borrow" it from him and so Black Dog was the first song I heard and started jumping up and down on my bed to it (I was very young) and used to borrow it whenever I could and listen from start to finish. I was young but it had such an impact on me. As you say, the rest is indeed history <_<

My brother had the record and something made me "borrow" it from him and so Black Dog was the first song I heard and started jumping up and down on my bed to it (I was very young) and used to borrow it whenever I could and listen from start to finish. I was young but it had such an impact on me. As you say, the rest is indeed history <_<

God bless them, right? Good to know your brother share also a good taste for music. :D

For me it was an entire album, not one particular song. My brother is a couple of years older than me and he bought Zep 1 when it first came out in '69. He played it over and over and over again (and subsequent Zep albums as well), so that was my introduction to Led Zeppelin.

I'm a teen and my dad listened to Zepp when i was growing up. It just stuck with me and it grew on me. In '07 i got Mothership for christmas and now i have all the albums except How The West Was Won and BBC Sessions. I guess the songs that started me were Stairway To Heaven, Misty Mountain Hop, and Black Dog.

I'm a teen and my dad listened to Zepp when i was growing up. It just stuck with me and it grew on me. In '07 i got Mothership for christmas and now i have all the albums except How The West Was Won and BBC Sessions. I guess the songs that started me were Stairway To Heaven, Misty Mountain Hop, and Black Dog.

How The West Was Won is absolutely incredible.

The Heartbreaker version on disk 1 is my favorite song, ever.

there wasn't one song or even a couple of songs. my dad bought the box set in the mid 90's and played it a lot in his car. looking at the list of songs on that compilation, the songs from their that impacted me the most into liking Led Zeppelin were: Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, Communication Breakdown, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, What is and What Should Never Be, Dazed and Confused, Ramble On, Hey Hey What Can I Do, Black Dog, Over the Hills and Far Away, Immigrant Song, Misty Mountain Hop, Stairway to Heaven and Dancing Days

so 14 songs started me on Led Zeppelin. I bought Early Days then Later Days then finally my first zep album - Led Zeppelin II.

For me?

*sigh* Well, not really surprisingly, it was 'Stairway To Heaven'. Believe it or not, I spent the entirety of my youth in the '80s, up through 1992 or so never hearing the song. I heard other Led Zeppelin songs, and my mother had tapes of the fourth album and Houses of the Holy in her big tape case when I was a kid. I would rummage through those cassettes and discover stuff I love to this day, like Dire Straits, Bob Seger, Tom Petty, things like that. But I never gave a listen at the time to those tapes and the tunes of theirs I heard on the radio for some reason never stuck. Eventually, in 1991 or '92 I think, everyone I knew wouldn't shut up about 'Stairway' and the fourth album overall. I had read the lyrics imprinted on a friend's CD liner notes, thought it seemed mysterious, poetic and puzzling. All this at the age of 12!

So I grabbed my mom's old tape of IV and popped it into my walkman one night in bed, FAST FORWARDED to track number 4 (yeah, I can't believe I fast-forwarded over the first three outstanding songs, either) and gave a listen. I hit play just as the faintest mandolin strains of the song I would later come to love, 'Battle of Evermore' were fading away and perked my ears up for 'Stairway'. I fell under it's spell, big time. I then proceeded to listen to side 2, then side 1 all the way through. Loved it! Later on I listened to HOTH and love that too. Thus began my fandom of the band. Over the next few years, I bought all the Zeppelin studio albums on tape and would listen to them while I would walk to school.

So that's how that all started. It's funny, 'Stairway to Heaven' isn't even my favorite Zeppelin song, and I understand people who get sick of it, but everytime I hear it, I'm back to being 12 and hearing it for the first time over headphones. They could play that song on the raid every 10 minutes for the next 100 years. And I might get sick of it then. But I'll never stop loving the song, the first 8 minutes of light and shade that defines Led Zeppelin so well.

(The second 8 minutes that defines Zeppelin is 'Kashmir'.)

Boy, sorry for the long, boring story. Didn't mean to ramble on...

When I was in my teen's (the late 1970's) Led Zeppelin was towards the end (who would know that then) of there run of chart topping albums. And I was not the biggest fan (not like I am now), I mean everyone remembers all the hit's from the earlier day's (maybe there was 3 or 4 song's that I remember hearing before this time) but, I was more into ELO and ELP and some other groups. But then when I started driving to school in my dad's old 66 Mustang I would sometimes pick up some of my friend's (who didn't have a car) along the way. One of my best friends came out to the car one day with a tape of Physical Graffiti and said, "when you think Led Zeppelin you automatically think.... Stairway to Heaven...." Then he stuck in the tape, I was floored!! we sat in the parking lot at school and finished the whole tape (getting in trouble for being late to first class). We spend the next month or so collecting all the album's or tape's, from that point on I was hooked!

Bonzolikedrumer

Ok, remember when they used Rock and Roll on that Cadillac commercial back in 2003 or 2004? Well, that's what got me hooked. (I know, I know... I'm a dork :bagoverhead::lol: ) But seriously, I didn't realize it was a Zep song until sometime later that year when I got more interested in older music, and I found the local classic rock stations. One day I heard Rock and Roll on the radio, and the announcer said it was by Led Zeppelin. I couldn't believe it!!! My jaw literally dropped to the floor!! For some reason, my preconceptions about bands like Zep, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, etc. was that they were these evil, scary, Satan-worshiping guys who produced evil music. (I really can't figure out how I developed this preconception.) Boy, was I wrong. I'm actually very thankful for that silly little commercial. It was like moving from the dark ages to enlightenment in 30 seconds.

Ok, remember when they used Rock and Roll on that Cadillac commercial back in 2003 or 2004? Well, that's what got me hooked. (I know, I know... I'm a dork :bagoverhead::lol: ) But seriously, I didn't realize it was a Zep song until sometime later that year when I got more interested in older music, and I found the local classic rock stations. One day I heard Rock and Roll on the radio, and the announcer said it was by Led Zeppelin. I couldn't believe it!!! My jaw literally dropped to the floor!! For some reason, my preconceptions about bands like Zep, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, etc. was that they were these evil, scary, Satan-worshiping guys who produced evil music. (I really can't figure out how I developed this preconception.) Boy, was I wrong. I'm actually very thankful for that silly little commercial. It was like moving from the dark ages to enlightenment in 30 seconds.

Not dorky at all. I've discovered a few artists through television commercials :)

Not dorky at all. I've discovered a few artists through television commercials :)

Thanks, ninelives! I feel better about myself now. :) Yeah, at the time I discovered Zep, I wasn't really into any music at all. I mainly just watched TV and old movies (I was raised on musicals, so I know all the old show tunes :lol: ). But now it feels good to be enlightened! :lol:

When I was in my teen's (the late 1970's) Led Zeppelin was towards the end (who would know that then) of there run of chart topping albums. And I was not the biggest fan (not like I am now), I mean everyone remembers all the hit's from the earlier day's (maybe there was 3 or 4 song's that I remember hearing before this time) but, I was more into ELO and ELP and some other groups. But then when I started driving to school in my dad's old 66 Mustang I would sometimes pick up some of my friend's (who didn't have a car) along the way. One of my best friends came out to the car one day with a tape of Physical Graffiti and said, "when you think Led Zeppelin you automatically think.... Stairway to Heaven...." Then he stuck in the tape, I was floored!! we sat in the parking lot at school and finished the whole tape (getting in trouble for being late to first class). We spend the next month or so collecting all the album's or tape's, from that point on I was hooked!

Bonzolikedrumer

As a teenager in the 70's ....My older brother would let me take his red charger to school once

in a while...The old tape players in the cars back sounded terrible..you could hear crackiling...

We thought it was great..The best memories I have are of listening to Led Zeppelin on his tape deck

....Every song brings a great feeling to my heart...I dont think there is a bad Zep song....First song I think of is when the levee breaks...My brother died in a accident a couple years ago..so every Zep

song brings back wonderful memories of him...He was a huge fan...I remember him wearing the same hat Bonzo used to wear all the time back then...I could listen to Zep all day long and never get sick of it

My dad and I were jamming..I was on bass he was on guitar...He shows me Rock and Roll, and at that moment...as I played it, I fell in love, sang the screaming vocal and wailed away...

Then to my dad's despair, I fell in love with the Battle Of Evermore...And annoyed the living heck out of him! :lol:

Then Going to California...

And on to other albums...

Now I am one of you! :D

Good Times Bad Times!

I don't know if it was shortly after or shortly before I started playing guitar, but my dad bought me The Best of Led Zeppelin and from the first track I was like... yes. I was 9 and I just had to learn that song right away. I'd never heard anything like that solo before and I didn't know if I would be able to do it. But I did, and then decided to make music my "thing." They're still my favorite band.

And that wicked fast scalar riff at the end of the solo still gets me going.

As a teenager in the 70's ....My older brother would let me take his red charger to school once

in a while...The old tape players in the cars back sounded terrible..you could hear crackiling...

We thought it was great..The best memories I have are of listening to Led Zeppelin on his tape deck

....Every song brings a great feeling to my heart...I dont think there is a bad Zep song....First song I think of is when the levee breaks...My brother died in a accident a couple years ago..so every Zep

song brings back wonderful memories of him...He was a huge fan...I remember him wearing the same hat Bonzo used to wear all the time back then...I could listen to Zep all day long and never get sick of it

Don't you just love hand me down car's? Sorry to hear about your bro, I grew up with out brother's, only sister's so, my guy friend's had to do for brother's.

Must sound like I had a hard time being the only boy with 3 older sister's but it wasn't to bad.

Bonzolikedrumer

I spell it like that because I like it that way.

Archived