Kashmir...

4urlife

Richard Cole states in his book that Jimmy Page wrote the lyrics. I always assumed that Robert wrote the lyrics. Does anybody know if Richard Cole is correct? Or is he full of it?

i have that book and i saw that too.. robert wrote the lyrics.. i dont believe anything cole says.. jimmy and bonzo wrote the music.. robert wrote the damn lyrics.. some of his best ever written

As far as I know... Robert wrote it on a journey, like Oswaldo said, through the desert, on his way (or coming from) Kashmir (in India)... Inicially the song was to be named "Going to Kashmir"... but they already had "Going to California", and so they changed it...

It was Robert to wrote the song, but it's pretty normal that Page and Bonzo might have given some ideas to the lyrics...

As far as I know... Robert wrote it on a journey, like Oswaldo said, through the desert, on his way (or coming from) Kashmir (in India)... Inicially the song was to be named "Going to Kashmir"... but they already had "Going to California", and so they changed it...

They named the song "Kashmir", but it was written on a journey in the Morrocan Sahara desert.

It was Robert to wrote the song, but it's pretty normal that Page and Bonzo might have given some ideas to the lyrics...

The original title was Moving Through Kashmir but for some reason was shortened.

Richard Cole reckons it was initially Driving To Kashmir but I have read it quoted or heard Robert in interview and he said it was Moving etc.....

The lyrics were most definitely written by Robert on a trip in Morocco.

The original title was Moving Through Kashmir but for some reason was shortened.

Who all were along on that trip in Morocco? Was it Page and Plant with their wives, or LZ, or just Robert with his family/friends?

Oh, and how about on the later Plant & Page trip that inspired ALS? I've wondered about that one for ages now. Love those lyrics!

Who all were along on that trip in Morocco? Was it Page and Plant with their wives, or LZ, or just Robert with his family/friends?

Oh, and how about on the later Plant & Page trip that inspired ALS? I've wondered about that one for ages now. Love those lyrics!

It started out with Robert and his family then Jimmy joined him a couple of weeks later and they drove to the Atlantic coast.

As for ALS, dunno about that one maybe it was on the same trip?

I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Richard Cole reckons it was initially Driving To Kashmir but I have read it quoted or heard Robert in interview and he said it was Moving etc.....

Robert once said he wrote the lyrics to Kashmir in a hotel room in NYC after having been to Morocco. Offhand I can't remember the date or source of the interview.

Robert once said he wrote the lyrics to Kashmir in a hotel room in NYC after having been to Morocco. Offhand I can't remember the date or source of the interview.

:o And all this time I thought it was about a sweater :slapface::lol:

It started out with Robert and his family then Jimmy joined him a couple of weeks later and they drove to the Atlantic coast.

As for ALS, dunno about that one maybe it was on the same trip?

I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Cheers! I reckon these are likely two separate vacations though, for I've read that the one which inspired ALS took place in 1975 after the Earl's Court concerts, and the earlier trip was in 1973.

Cheers! I reckon these are likely two separate vacations though, for I've read that the one which inspired ALS took place in 1975 after the Earl's Court concerts, and the earlier trip was in 1973.

Actually, it is hard to say that a vacation inspired ALS. After the Earl's court concert Robert went to North Africa with his family, later Jimmy's family joined them and went to Greece together. On Rhodes Robert had the accident while Jimmy was in Italy. After they were brought back in England and Maureen seemed to be out of danger, Robert and Jimmy went to Malibu, where ALS was probably written.

Actually, it is hard to say that a vacation inspired ALS. After the Earl's court concert Robert went to North Africa with his family, later Jimmy's family joined them and went to Greece together. On Rhodes Robert had the accident while Jimmy was in Italy. After they were brought back in England and Maureen seemed to be out of danger, Robert and Jimmy went to Malibu, where ALS was probably written.

Given that Rhodes is a Greek island not far from where Troy was purported to be, it is conceivable that he was inspired to write the lyrics after the accident.

Like Achilles, Robert sustained an ankle injury (though not quite as bad!), so that is also a connection of sorts.

Given that Rhodes is a Greek island not far from where Troy was purported to be, it is conceivable that he was inspired to write the lyrics after the accident.

Like Achilles, Robert sustained an ankle injury (though not quite as bad!), so that is also a connection of sorts.

Yes, the connection was definitely there.

And "the mighty arms of Atlas" can also be referred to the Atlas moutains in North Africa.

Thanks. In my imagination it all fits quite well, because I see ALS's main themes being mostly about routine getting broken, reaching for shared dreams, intense happiness, but also the realities of life and vulnerability. A vacation, though spent in several locations like you said, and some atmosphere of how life was before it and afterwards perhaps.

Robert wrote them. If memory serves, and I'm sure there's others who can say for sure, but if I remember right, wasn't "Tangerine" the last Zeppelin song that Page wrote lyrics for? I seem to recall that after reading Plant's lyrics for "Thank You" that Page decided Plant would write the lyrics from then on out with the odd occasional exception.

And "the mighty arms of Atlas" can also be referred to the Atlas moutains in North Africa.

There was a question on a TV quiz show recently which went something like, "What did Atlas carry on his shoulders?"

The natural answer was "The Earth", because there are loads of pictures like this...

AtlasAwardLG.gif

...which everyone has stuck in their heads. UNLESS you are a Led Zeppelin fan, of course. B)

i could have sworn that the working or first title was going to be "driving to kashmir " or driving thru kashmir".. not going to kashmir or moving.. i seen it somewhere then plant decided kashmir would be a fine title and ended up being a universally known classic with plants amazing lyrics

Archived