John Bonham high on Most Influantial Drummer List

The Rover

Rhythm Magazine have announced the drummer they deem to be the most influential of all-time.

Buddy Rich has been named the most influential drummer of all time by Rhythm magazine, narrowly beating out Led Zeppelin’s John Bonham.

The full top ten is as follows:

1. Buddy Rich

2. John Bonham

3. Gene Krupa

4. Ringo Starr

5. Steve Gadd

6. Stewart Copeland

7. Tony Williams

8. Keith Moon

9. Elvin Jones

10. Billy Cobham

Besides Bonham, I really respect the drumming of the Big Band/ Swing man Gene Krupa.

I'd have to add my own "top ten" to augment that list, and maybe I will. :)

I have to just add 10 more, but could add 50 more easily. These are some of my favorited encompassing many styles and genres of music. I've seen several live as noted by asterisk.

michael giles

ginger baker *

chester thompson *

terry bozzio *

lenny white

mitch mitchell *

barrimore barlow *

narada michael walden *

tim alexander *

benny benjamin

Absolutely. As great as "Bonzo" was, Buddy Rich was absolutely amazing and is no slouch. In agreement with this list.

:drumz::drumz:

but peart does need to be on that list.. im a rush fan but not a huge one so im not being biased.. but bonzo is the greatest rock drummer ever and no shame in number 2 whatsoever

another drummer list with Ringo Starr... I've never really understood how he makes these lists all the time. Can somebody point me to a song that really showcases his skill? I would like to listen to it, so I can understand.

another drummer list with Ringo Starr... I've never really understood how he makes these lists all the time. Can somebody point me to a song that really showcases his skill? I would like to listen to it, so I can understand.

I wonder if he's on there not so much for his skill specifically but just his contribution to the Beatles and the huge impact they as a band had, if that makes any sense.

And 10 more of your worthyness, I did. What are your choices, I'd like to see what other people think.

Don't know if anyone would say they're all influential, but other drummers I'm pretty impressed by would include:

Mickey Hart

Charlie Watts

Buddy Miles

Cozy Powell

Carmine Appice

Mike Shrieve

Clive Deamer (thought he was fantastic with Strange Sensation and the stuff he's doing now, really amazing)

Yes that's an excellent list ninelives. Hoping more do the same.

As far as Ringo, he did what was perfect for The Beatles. They were about songwriting and making beautiful music easy. His beats DID inspire many later drummers to pick up their sticks and bang away.

The Beatles wouldn't have sounded right with a snazzy drummer, playing very busy chops. Ringo was EXACTLY what they needed and many drummers will tell you that.

I wonder if he's on there not so much for his skill specifically but just his contribution to the Beatles and the huge impact they as a band had, if that makes any sense.

Yes that's an excellent list ninelives. Hoping more do the same.

As far as Ringo, he did what was perfect for The Beatles. They were about songwriting and making beautiful music easy. His beats DID inspire many later drummers to pick up their sticks and bang away.

The Beatles wouldn't have sounded right with a snazzy drummer, playing very busy chops. Ringo was EXACTLY what they needed and many drummers will tell you that.

I suppose that makes sense. Thanks.

i agree and my former drum teacher knows people in the music business and its rumored that starr never played on any beatle albums.. he wrote the beats but couldnt lay them down .. they had a studio musician play .. beatles fans may get mad but i believe.. im a beatle fan but think ringo was a garbage drummer and a better singer

It's a good list.

And remember, it's "influential", not "greatest chops". So many drummers picked up the sticks after seeing Ringo. And this BS about him not playing on the Beatle albums is just that-BS. Let me hear you play "I Feel Fine". Not so easy is it?

There are way too many photo archives of studio sessions showing Ringo ON the drums, with headphones, AND studio outtakes where you can hear them speaking and the recordings going on at the time to PROVE he WAS playing and his licks are what's on the albums. There maybe a song or two on the White Album he didn't do because he quit and walked out on the Beatles for a few days and Paul sat in on drums.

Go find a copy of "The Beatle Chronicles" or "The Beatles Recording Sessions" and see for yourself. Ringo's minimalist style was PERFECT for the Beatles. Bottom line. And to not recognize his contributions for future drummers and his influence on them to pick up sticks is misinformed at best, and ignorant denial at worst.

There are way too many photo archives of studio sessions showing Ringo ON the drums, with headphones, AND studio outtakes where you can hear them speaking and the recordings going on at the time to PROVE he WAS playing and his licks are what's on the albums. There maybe a song or two on the White Album he didn't do because he quit and walked out on the Beatles for a few days and Paul sat in on drums.

Go find a copy of "The Beatle Chronicles" or "The Beatles Recording Sessions" and see for yourself. Ringo's minimalist style was PERFECT for the Beatles. Bottom line. And to not recognize his contributions for future drummers and his influence on them to pick up sticks is misinformed at best, and ignorant denial at worst.

That's a load of garbage. Of course Ringo played on their studio albums. I wonder who started this rumor and when? He was perfect for The Beatles music. Enough said!

Wow, the way you entered your post made it look like I was professing to Ringo's non-involvement in Beatle recordings.

I'm sure you were referring to this post that I had quoted to respond to,

i agree and my former drum teacher knows people in the music business and its rumored that starr never played on any beatle albums.. he wrote the beats but couldnt lay them down .. they had a studio musician play .. beatles fans may get mad but i believe.. im a beatle fan but think ringo was a garbage drummer and a better singer

I just wanted to clarify this for you, because I'm sure you realize I was defending Ringo's involvement, not the other way around. :)

I don't know who started it but I have NEVER heard anyone say that before!

Yes, there were stories back in the day of Ringo not really playing on Beatle records. It was said Paul did alot of it. he DID do some, but Ringo did 98% anyway.

During the White Album for instance, Ringo quit the band, Paul DID do some of the drums on it. As far as the Beatles earlier music, it was Ringo except one version of Love Me Do in which George Martin the producer wasn't sold on Ringo yet (he'd just joined), he had a guy named Alan 'something' play on it. But both versions are available, Ringo's and Alan's. There may have been a smattering of Paul drums during that time too. But see, the earlier periods were mostly live tracks with very little overdubbing, so Paul couldn't have been playing then. Later multitrack recordings could have him playing. As far as some "outside" session drummer, NOPE. Not a chance in hell other than the earliest Love Me Do.

Yes, there were stories back in the day of Ringo not really playing on Beatle records. It was said Paul did alot of it. he DID do some, but Ringo did 98% anyway.

During the White Album for instance, Ringo quit the band, Paul DID do some of the drums on it. As far as the Beatles earlier music, it was Ringo except one version of Love Me Do in which George Martin the producer wasn't sold on Ringo yet (he'd just joined), he had a guy named Alan 'something' play on it. But both versions are available, Ringo's and Alan's. There may have been a smattering of Paul drums during that time too. But see, the earlier periods were mostly live tracks with very little overdubbing, so Paul couldn't have been playing then. Later multitrack recordings could have him playing. As far as some "outside" session drummer, NOPE. Not a chance in hell other than the earliest Love Me Do.

I knew about Ringo quitting and Paul doing a bit of drumming but as far as the above rumour - totally new to me! A silly one too as if that really was true, why would he have been with the group so long.

I knew about Ringo quitting and Paul doing a bit of drumming but as far as the above rumour - totally new to me! A silly one too as if that really was true, why would he have been with the group so long.

It really was silly. There's another time. Ringo got sick just before the Beatles embarked on their 1964 Australian tour. So Jamie McNichol played LIVE with John, George and Paul for a few concert dated down there. I'd love to have a bootleg of one of those. I have the show just as Ringo re-joined and John welcomes in back to a HUGE ROAR from the crowd.

Archived