Bonzo Collapses?

ledzep45

It is a touchy subject. I loosely recall reading somewhere that Pat was furious with him upon his returning from tour (77?) because he had developed a serious drug problem. Other than that, with respect to his family, I don't really care to be honest. The man partied hard, enjoying himself more times than not, but his vices obviously affected his playing, his state of mind and ultimately cost him his life.

the story that was circulated in the german Musik Express magazine at the time quoted Robert telling a tale of Bonzo having had a "german belly" because of drinking too much "german water" (code for beer or other alcohol?) and becoming sick from this at the nuernberg gig. In his style of heavy drumming it still took him like 12 minutes to pass out. Robert said that afterwards Bonzo ate a lot of bananas to get well and then the tour continued

This makes sense. If his blood alcohol content had become exceedingly high hospitalization would have been necessary.

While tales of rock 'n roll excess are staple fodder for many music fans, I find the supposition in this or any other thread that John Bonham was a heroin addict to be ill-informed and farfetched, if not highly objectionable.

That Jimmy Page was a junkie for several years appears to be fact, but Bonzo never looked nor seemed to act like one. Judging from the visual evidence post-1975, how many junkies do you know that actually put on weight? Did you see Eric Clapton, Mark Lanegan or Nick Cave blimp out during their opium days? It's not like Pete Doherty's turning into Jabba The Hutt either.

Basically, Bonzo was a Black Country booze hound who - like his bandmates - undoubtedly dabbled in many chemicals during the Zep years.

So, Bonzo a junkie? That's truly insulting to the man's memory, not to mention his family. After all, heroin can be a nasty, soul-destroying drug.

I'm just asking for an iota of decorum, please.

Maybe this is true.

But take a look at the Seattle '77 footage. He is wearing a gown during Kashmir, I mean playing the drums as heavy as he did would make you sweat like a pig. Possibly he was in withdrawl and was cold?

I also recall reading that at the time of his death he was taking drugs to get him off the smack and that these drugs had mind altering affects.

But take a look at the Seattle '77 footage. He is wearing a gown during Kashmir, I mean playing the drums as heavy as he did would make you sweat like a pig. Possibly he was in withdrawl and was cold?

I realize everyone is different but from my own personal experience, I tend to sweat alot more when I play if I'm drinking beer than if I'm having a cocktail.

And I think we all know what Bonzo enjoyed during a show, especially in 77.

Wasn't there a night in 1969 (Kansas City, perhaps) that Bonzo was a little more worse for the wear??

I don't remember the source and do not know the actual show, but Bonzo was apparently so drunk and out of it during a show in 1969, Peter Grant yanked him up and told him to get it together or he'd be out of the band. This may or may not have been the orange juice incident with Ten Years After's Alvin Lee.

Wasn't there a night in 1969 (Kansas City, perhaps) that Bonzo was a little more worse for the wear??

November 5, 1969 Memorial Hall in Kansas City

Used unfamiliar gear; support...Morning Star, Bartok's Mountain, Spokesmen, Blues Garden and Bill Zickos…Bonham got so drunk he nearly missed the second show

Afterward, Page, Plant, Bonham, Jones & Cole drank at the bar in the Muehlbach hotel…Bonham was arrested in the lobby in the early morning hours for public drunkeness

Archived