Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

Can't you hear me knockin is definetly in my Top ten songs of all time. Gotta give the props to that Mick and Keith guitar jam session. I'll be blasting this one on the way home200px-RSSF71.jpg, along with a host of other Stones songs in honor of Kieth's 64th. Can't wait for that quitting time whistle.

But nobody has answered the question about Mick Taylor. I think he is better than Woods. They are not a force anymore like they were decades ago. But you cant ever take away the work they did back then. Just like you cant take away what Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, did either. They set their mark in rock n roll history. What they do now is not even worth mention. Its what they did in the past that counts.

The band may have been better when Taylor was in the band, but it's hardly because of Taylor being in the band. Richards and Jagger wrote all songs while he was in the band and kept doing it when Wood became part of the band. Wood is a great guitarist and songwriter, Faces is proof enough regarding that. The question if Taylor is a better guitarist then Wood is just matter of taste.

I hold The Stones as thee no. 1 rock'n'roll band. My favorite line-up is the Brian Jones era, with the Taylor era as close 2nd.

Come to think of it, the only Stones album I got is Flowers. :blink:

I quite like that one though... :unsure:

I almost envy you, you have a lot of Stones albums to discover. :D

I would suggest to check out their first album and Exile on Main St. Both are great rock'n'roll records and represent two different eras.

g60332e9yd5.jpg

f60130iffzd.jpg

I almost envy you, you have a lot of Stones albums to discover. :D

I would suggest to check out their first album and Exile on Main St. Both are great rock'n'roll records and represent two different eras.

g60332e9yd5.jpg

f60130iffzd.jpg

Will do! :D I actually meant to get me some Stones albums anyway...I just keep forgetting about it... :unsure:

*Staples memo to forehead* That should do the trick! B)

I've got several of the early Stones remasters..the DSD hybrids. Thing is, they're FULL price. I got them on sale when they were initially released and they were still about $13 for the unexpanded issues...ya know, 30-40 minute cd's ! I still got them, but was bummed they couldn't be offered for like $9.99 or something....

I bet that box up there is about $150 !! maybe $129 ?

I'm sure it's expensive but it would be a good way of killing several birds with one stone (so to speak). There's many artists I admire but I don't own their entire collections (Stones, Neil, Dylan, etc.). Dylan has a box I'd like to purchase as well but it's also quite expensive:

Dylan_box.jpg

My biggest box purchase to date is the Grateful Dead's

So Many Roads '65-'73

13 cd's I think....and got it onsale at release for $99 ! Now that was a great deal !

Plus...I'm sure you know this, but they expanded each original cd with outtakes and live material to the max ! I mean, some of them were a full 80 minutes !!

I've got a few others and I got them at a good price too.

So Many Roads '65-'73

13 cd's I think....and got it onsale at release for $99 ! Now that was a great deal !

Plus...I'm sure you know this, but they expanded each original cd with outtakes and live material to the max ! I mean, some of them were a full 80 minutes !!

Pfft! You always semi-trash the Dead. When will you possibly listen to 13 cd's!! :lol:

So Many Roads '65-'73

You must be thinking of The Golden Road box as So Many Roads (1965-1995) is a 5 disc box set that's pretty much all live cuts with a handful of studio outtakes. I have a fairly decent collection of Dead on CD and vinyl but in order to complete it I recently invested in the two box sets of their studio albums (I already had So Many Roads). While I was at it I also purchased the Garcia box All Good Things. Actually my Dead/Garcia collection is far from complete as there are still tons of live albums out there including the Dick's Picks vault series but I feel like I made a pretty good dent.

4100Z0WA3DL._AA240_.jpg

So Many Roads

51EHENS86AL._SS500_.jpg

The Golden Road (1965-1973)

41TB2W4R6ZL._AA240_.jpg

Beyond Description (1973-1989)

41DM4PFKDPL._AA240_.jpg

All Good Things: Jerry Garcia Studio Sessions

You Dead heads go elsewhere please.

At one time I would have called myself a "Deadhead" but not after it started to take on negative connotations towards the end of their career. There seemed to be a whole lot of people showing up at their concerts that had the wrong idea which ended up giving Deadheads a bad name. They definitely were not what I'd call Deadheads but the media labeled them as such.

At one time I would have called myself a "Deadhead" but not after it started to take on negative connotations towards the end of their career. There seemed to be a whole lot of people showing up at their concerts that had the wrong idea which ended up giving Deadheads a bad name. They definitely were not what I'd call Deadheads but the media labeled them as such.

Meant no offense but I couldnt resist that one. I saw the Dead twice. Basically dragged there by ex friends who I lost track of kicking and screaming. I always respected Garcia as a guitarist. He was a very good guitarist. As for the rest of them I think they suck. Only one good song ever-that one about trippin down to Buffalo or somthing like that. I have a place i my heart for Buffalo as its just down the road from me and Ive seen many great bands there. (Stones, Who, Eagles, etc). But had to travel much further to see Zepp. Ill never forget the lines of people, me included, that had tickets to the 77 show-canceled just days before the event because of the death of Roberts son. Ill never know how things like this can happen to people that have so much money. Always thought it happened to us middle classers.

I just saw concert film of the stones of 1972 and have come to the conclusion that Mick Jagger is one of the most overrated front men of all time. You couldn't understand a word he was singing. His dancing and movements were laughable. He was wearing some outfit that he had obviously ripped off from Elvis. He can't even hold to a candle to someone like Elvis. Now there is a guy that could move on stage.

To top if off The Stones haven't done anything worthwhile since the 70's.

Meant no offense but I couldnt resist that one. I saw the Dead twice. Basically dragged there by ex friends who I lost track of kicking and screaming. I always respected Garcia as a guitarist. He was a very good guitarist. As for the rest of them I think they suck.

With all due respect, I think of the Grateful Dead as a band and felt they were all very excellent musicians, not just Garcia. Throughout his career he always surrounded himself with the very best musicians, the Grateful Dead were no exception.

Only one good song ever-that one about trippin down to Buffalo or somthing like that.

Truckin'? That was one of only a few songs that got played on the radio but there's far more to the Grateful Dead to than just that one song (or the others that got mainstream airplay).

I have a place i my heart for Buffalo as its just down the road from me and Ive seen many great bands there. (Stones, Who, Eagles, etc). But had to travel much further to see Zepp. Ill never forget the lines of people, me included, that had tickets to the 77 show-canceled just days before the event because of the death of Roberts son. Ill never know how things like this can happen to people that have so much money. Always thought it happened to us middle classers.

Money doesn't protect anybody from anything, good or bad.

I just saw concert film of the stones of 1972 and have come to the conclusion that Mick Jagger is one of the most overrated front men of all time. You couldn't understand a word he was singing. His dancing and movements were laughable. He was wearing some outfit that he had obviously ripped off from Elvis. He can't even hold to a candle to someone like Elvis. Now there is a guy that could move on stage.

To top if off The Stones haven't done anything worthwhile since the 70's.

:rolleyes:

I'm serious. The dude cannot dance to save his life. I don't how to describe what he does. Go watch the films. It's like he is having seizure. Elvis was like a cat on stage. Mick is like a chicken with his head cut off.

Nah, it always makes me think about a monkey, but it's okay with me. He has his own thing going and I'm not too bothered with it.

Stones are a great rock n roll band.. I haven't seen them live.. too expensive.. But I guess their good days have been over a long time ago..

I received free tix (as a belated birthday present) to see them in the mid-90s on the Voodoo Lounge Tour but they were actually $35 a piece. I saw them again on the A Bigger Bang Tour for $80 just a couple of years ago. Both concerts were very much worth it. I also enjoyed the A Bigger Bang album. Was it up to the standards of their very best work? Not by a longshot but it is one of the best albums I've heard by them in years.

Pfft! You always semi-trash the Dead. When will you possibly listen to 13 cd's!! :lol:

When have I ever semi-trashed the Dead ? I'm with Jahfin in how he views so many of the deadheads !! I can't stand the twirlers...:wacko:

I love their early stuff..and even after that for a few albums...geez...even saw them there in Salt Lake City in 1995 ...

I've listened to the discs many times, I've had that box since ummm 2001 ! That's 6 years !

Oh and yeah Jahfin...I meant 'The Golden Road' that you picture second there...the bonus with that was the double disc of material as The Warlocks/preDead...fun raw covers and stuff..

OH yeah...the Stones..this thread.....uhh...the band was cool in The RocknRoll Circus..and Keith especially playing with John Lennon/Oh NO !!! Eric Clapton and Mitch Mitchell as The Dirty Mac. And the face of the violin player when Yoko started her screeching !! It was as if someone had cut one....hahahhaha...priceless !!!! :thumbsup:

Joel--you saw them in SLC at the Voodoo Lounge tour?

My mom was there. :D

She brought me back an awesome tee shirt!

I like the Stones quite a bit, but I have a good friend who likes them more...

She and her childhood friends try to go to as many shows as they can. They haven't missed a tour since before they were in high school...(she's 40-something..so that's saying that she's seen quite a few shows as opposed to someone my age...) This last tour, they came to Boise and her friends flew here, they all got matching Cannuck Stones Tats, (matching Stones mouths with the Canadian flag on the tongues), and went to the show. She and her friends made the news and everything! It was quite awesome.

I like Sticky Fingers the best. Love it!

I was singing "Paint It Black" earlier today...had to say, "la-laaa-la-lalala..." when I couldn't remember the words... :blush:

Edited by manderlyh