Favorite Riff based Zeppelin Song?

As well all know, Led Zeppelin are known for creating memorable riffs that just rock. Whole lotta love, Heartbreaker, the rover, custard pie, sick again, nobody's fault but mine. These are just a few of the classic riff based songs they released.

Out of all of these songs, which one is your favorite?

Mine is The Rover. It's just so brilliant and groovy.

As Jimmy Page said in the Berlin Periscope interview last night, a 10th Led Zeppelin studio album would have had a focus on 'pretty clever riffs'. Let's hope he has some good ones left for any work he may have planned in the (hopefully soon) future. I really like For Your Life from Presence, which I believe was played on the '62 Lake Placid blue Strat. (Or '64 or '65 ... depending where you look.!)

The Rover, the whole song is just perfect, including the wonderful outro. Other great riffs: whole lotta love, sick again, the wanton song, the ocean, trampled under foot

Absolutely, Charles - when I first heard Kashmir it wasn't like hearing a new song for the first time, it was somehow as if I'd always known it

and was hearing it again through some kind of trans-dimensional breach in the fabric of time!!! :blush:

Believe me, I know how daft that sounds, but...it was! No other song's ever had that effect on me.

Not as heavy as the other tunes but very beautiful too is '10 years gone'. I wonder, whether the opening can be counted as a riff, it's one of my very favorite openers. But the main melody is a great riff too.

Absolutely, Charles - when I first heard Kashmir it wasn't like hearing a new song for the first time, it was somehow as if I'd always known it

and was hearing it again through some kind of trans-dimensional breach in the fabric of time!!! :blush:

Believe me, I know how daft that sounds, but...it was! No other song's ever had that effect on me.

The same occured to me. My first thought was that this riff is borrowed directly from asian music because it fits so well with the rest

THAT is fantastic turn of phrase! I'm going to have to borrow that!!

Archived