Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll"

Wolfgang

Wow, that's a rather bold statement. I'm not sure about it being the greatest ever song, but it certainly is worth the O2 gig. I think it would make a lot of sense to play Rock and Roll at the reunion and I hope they do. I couldn't think of a better song to open with.

After all, it has been a long time since they rock and rolled ;):D

A bold statement for a bold song. I think it is the greatest rock and roll song ever, not the greatest song ever. The Rain Song might be the greatest song ever. God Bless.

It still rocks better then a Ramones song, it still makes you want to put down the windows and blast the radio. And it still sounds damm good!

If that is your definition of rock and roll then yes, it really wants to make you do that, also so does How Many More Times (if you really get into it)

How about "We're Gonna Groove"? :)

Another great one, started with that song in Royal Albert Hall 1970

yeah it is a great great song, after years of listening to it many times i tend to neglect its true power, as many songs have a way of losing effect with repeated exposures . if somehow we could erase peoples memories of all the rock songs they've ever heard, then play them various rock standards, then asked people to vote for the most "rocking" i bet rock and roll would stand a great chance at winning that one. i remember hearing it as a kid

it certainly blew the other songs played on the radio station most days away.

IMHO, the studio version of "Rock and Roll" is the all time greatest Rock and Roll song Ever Recorded. I hope they open with it on their last gig.

This reminds me of that "Pick of Destiny" movie with Jack Black. :D

There a lot of people on this board that would pick another Led Zeppelin song.

I don't think I could pick a greatest of all time. There are people arguing about picking a greatest band of all time, let alone the greatest song of all time. That sounds even more impossible. But I tend to think it is....maybe?

IMHO, the studio version of "Rock and Roll" is the all time greatest Rock and Roll song Ever Recorded. I hope they open with it on their last gig.

No way. HTWWW version was great, but the performance at Knebworth '79 was the all time best. I like Rock n' Roll with a picked up tempo. The improvised outro from Bonzo is just freakin' fantastic.

Rock n' Roll would be perfect to start the show and i have predicted as much on the board. It is a great bridge between the 50s 60s and 70s and probably why Jerry Lee Lewis was drawn to covering it with Jimmy. As you say it may be the perfect rock n roll song but not the perfect lz song

Not taking away from your choice (which of course I do love), but personally Whole Lotta of Love is the perfect LZ song it contains all the elements and power of each member that made them unique from the riff, to Jimmy and Roberts aural assault and the driving drum n' bass and I will never tire of it. 260.gif

I think it's safe to assume that they'll open with, or at least play Rock and Roll in the reunion show since it was in those Cadillac commercials back in the day.

Also, I wouldn't say it's the best rock song ever... I mean, it's a simple blues song with some heavy drumming and original guitar work, but there are many other Zeppelin songs that rock harder and are much better... Just my opinion.

Do you wanna prove this i can name other very good rock songs better than Rock and Roll

Hey Woody, the guy said in his post it was his OPINION. First four letters of his post were capital IMHO. You can't overrule someone's opinion. Whatever greater songs you can name are only greater in people's opinions. Let the appreciation thread ride. :rolleyes:

Personally, I hope they don't open with the song. Robert has a history of struggling with it when they used it as an opener. It was much better served later in the set when his voice was warmed up and in the zone. I heard that they may open with Good Times Bad Times. I think that would be fantastic! :thumbsup:

Archived