Best female rock vocalist

4 Non Blondes (Linda Perry)

by a wide margin.

How's it going "danelectro59?" Three women come to mind at the moment and they are: JANIS JOPLIN, STEVIE NICKS and ANN WILSON! I realize that there are many other great female artists but these three are on my mind at the moment! ROCK ON!

How's it going "danelectro59?" Three women come to mind at the moment and they are: JANIS JOPLIN, STEVIE NICKS and ANN WILSON! I realize that there are many other great female artists but these three are on my mind at the moment! ROCK ON!

Hi ZFF,

For me it has to be Tina Turner, if you regard her as Rock that is, other than that as a Male Show Van-ist i'm at a loss to say.

Regards, Danny

Hi ZFF,

For me it has to be Tina Turner, if you regard her as Rock that is, other than that as a Male Show Van-ist i'm at a loss to say.

Regards, Danny

How's it going "BIGDAN?" I hope all is well with you and your family. I finally got back home this evening although I had fun hanging out with "beatbo" in Biloxi. Tina Turner did sing Rock in the late 1960's and 1970's. Tina Turner definitely deserves her place in Rock n' Roll history. ROCK ON!

Sass Jordan

Listen to her "Rats" album, and you'll see what I mean B)

Hands down, it has to be Janis Joplin.

Sass Jordan is great too. I really like her stuff.

Another Canadian female rock queen is Lee Aaron. Anybody remember her???

Gwen Stefani was great when she rocked with No Doubt (I think they're back together again).

Mellissa Etheridge had some pretty good stuff as well.

Sheryl Crowe, although I didn't really fine her first album all the rockin'

Lita Ford is great.

Alanis Morrissette (not including her first 2 pop albums as Alanis)

Tina Turner.

Joan Jett

Stevie Nicks

Anybody remember Chrissie Steel??

How about the female rock group Vixen?

The female grunge rock band L7 were good too.

Edited by timothy5151

Everyone's mentioned my faves already -- Grace, Stevie, Mama Cass, Joni Mitchell, etc. -- so I'm going to throw in a vote for Suzi Quatro! :D

...She is very energetic and got what it takes....You and I agree also on Grace Slick....talented and beautiful...absolute classic... :D

Edited by PlanetPage

another one i think is great is Sophie B Hawkins. Not exactly a household name, but worth a mention. Seems that Janis is the crowd favorite and although you can't deny the impact she's had on rock & roll, for some reason i don't share the same opinion of her. In fact she rather turned me off.

I love Janis too but I have to be in the mood to listen to her. To me, it was all about raw emotion with her and how she went about expressing it on stage. When it comes to vocal range there are others I'd put ahead of her but as far as stage presence, I don't think there's any.

I love Irma Thomas. She doesn't scream or wail, just sings. And she does it really f'n good. Great voice.

Hittin' On Nothing - Irma Thomas

I still don't own any of her records but I first heard of Irma Thomas thanks to this line from Jimmy Buffett's song Saxophones:

I cut my teeth on gumbo rock

Benny Spellman and Doctor John

Sweet Irma Thomas and "Frogman" Henry

Use to boogie woogie all night long

Speaking of Hittin' On Nothing, I'm not sure if you're familiar with it but Southern Culture On the Skids do a pretty cool version of it on their album Liquored Up and Lacquered Down.

I still don't own any of her records but I first heard of Irma Thomas thanks to this line from Jimmy Buffett's song Saxophones:

I cut my teeth on gumbo rock

Benny Spellman and Doctor John

Sweet Irma Thomas and "Frogman" Henry

Use to boogie woogie all night long

Speaking of Hittin' On Nothing, I'm not sure if you're familiar with it but Southern Culture On the Skids do a pretty cool version of it on their album Liquored Up and Lacquered Down.

Cool. I had no idea Southern Culture On The Skids made a cover of Hittin' On Nothing. I know you have written a lot about them during the years, but I still haven't got to listen to them yet.

Regarding Janis Joplin, she was great and I love many of her records, but IMHO she owe's it all to this lady:

This woman blows anyone off the stage :D

Cool. I had no idea Southern Culture On The Skids made a cover of Hittin' On Nothing. I know you have written a lot about them during the years, but I still haven't got to listen to them yet.

Regarding Janis Joplin, she was great and I love many of her records, but IMHO she owe's it all to this lady:

This woman blows anyone off the stage :D

:thumbsup: