TOOL Thread

oziumrules

Hey, thanks! I LOVE them. There is some crazy mathematical shit going on in their tunes. Check out Danny Carey's website. I don't really get how they come up with it, but it rocks. My daughter says you have to have a music degree to bang your head to it :lol: Anyway, he is my favorite drummer, after Bonzo. Incredible. I thought they were amazing live, and didn't care that they didn't talk to the audience. But they are dangerous to drive to.

Aenima is their best, followed closely by Lateralus. They could almost be a double album, released in halves years apart.

I have gained a new appreciation for Undertow lately, with all its rage, and the more metal guitar tone.

Opiate is pretty kickass for so few songs

10k Days is Aenima/Lateralus pt2. For a band that says they take so long between albums to allow for change, 10k Days didn't really show much change. And there are really only 6 songs on the album.

"On the rock scene I still like bands like Morphine and Tool, and I shall listen to Trent Reznor's next effort with interest". John Paul Jones Chicago Tribune, 1999

See even JPJ is up with the Tool. I think I read a copy of this 5 years ago and it pushed me to go buy Lateralus (Well i thought it was a cooler cover then Ænima) and i wanted to have relations with this girl name Christine. Best thing a girl ever did for me.

• 1 month later...

According to The Pulse of Radio, TOOL vocalist Maynard James Keenan will make a rare personal appearance at a Whole Foods supermarket in Chandler, Arizona on Wednesday (April 9) to sign bottles of wine from his vineyards in Sedona. According to the Whole Foods online calendar, Keenan and his partner Eric Glomski will sign bottles of their Caduceus, Merkin, and Arizona Stronghold lines at the store's wine bar between 4 and 9 p.m.

Keenan told The Pulse of Radio that he would rather spend time with wine enthusiasts than rock fans. "Generally speaking, the people that are into wine are generally adults and respect people's space, and it's not about the person really who made it, it's about the wine," he said. "So there's definitely a calmer admiration that goes on in those circles."

The Whole Foods in Chandler is located at 2955 West Ray Road.

Keenan, an avid wine enthusiast, began his Caduceus Cellars in 2004 and unveiled his first three wines in the spring of 2006.

Keenan released the debut album from his side project PUSCIFER, titled "V Is For Vagina", last fall.

The singer is slated to appear at selected stops on this spring's Justice Tour, which is being spearheaded by RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE guitarist Tom Morello.

• 3 weeks later...

i'd agree that tool is as amazing as led zep (i like them much more, but led zeppelin are legends) but iw ouldn't say they compare live. teh great thing about zep is that they extend their songs live, they jam out live, and they'll even redo entire songs (i love the page and plant live album, just cause they turn nobody's fault but mine and no quarter inside out). The closest to that is Tool's live version of Pushit (which may be my favorite Tool song), but other than that, they never touch their songs. THey play 'em exactly like they are on the record. Don't get me wrong, they're amazing live, i've seen em four times, but they don't do what zep did live and i wish they did

i'd agree that tool is as amazing as led zep (i like them much more, but led zeppelin are legends) but iw ouldn't say they compare live. teh great thing about zep is that they extend their songs live, they jam out live, and they'll even redo entire songs (i love the page and plant live album, just cause they turn nobody's fault but mine and no quarter inside out). The closest to that is Tool's live version of Pushit (which may be my favorite Tool song), but other than that, they never touch their songs. THey play 'em exactly like they are on the record. Don't get me wrong, they're amazing live, i've seen em four times, but they don't do what zep did live and i wish they did

I suggest you track down version of their extended Stinkfist and Schism. Not jammed like Zeppelin, but very well placed enhancements to the songs.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Tool more than Led Zepp, but by far, Led Zepp has better instrumentals. It's a close gap between which I like better though. I love Jimmy page's solos.

Has anyone seen the Vicarious video?

Edited by Jambi

I like Tool more than Led Zepp, but by far, Led Zepp has better instrumentals. It's a close gap between which I like better though. I love Jimmy page's solos.

Has anyone seen the Vicarious video?

Yeah, I was disappointed a bit in it. I preferred the older stuff where it mixed actual actors in. I thought the full animation, while pretty cool, was almost a bit tacky/cheesy looking.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Tool is a fantastic band; and their live show is absolutely worth catching. However, I don't quite see the similarity between Zeppelin and Tool lyrics. There perhaps is some vague occult involvement among some of the two bands' members, but it doesn't really shine through lyrically.

I think the comparisons with Zep and tool probably center more around the vibe and personna of the band than the actual music. Tool, like Zep, does not give a lot of interviews and so they keep a level of mystery about them personally. I think the occult-ish aspect breeds some similarities also.

^I think it's both. Obviously, Tool has a modern heaviness that Zep never approached, but there are definitely times where they are playing distinctly Zep inspired parts. They must use similar scales and keys on certain things. Also, I don't think there are two uber-successful bands that use dynamics and tension building in a more similar fashion.