John or Jason Bonham?

Alot of people have been buzzing about animated musician holograms or whatever. There has already be a thread about it on this board:

This brought up an interesting thought here:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/the-big-question-are-holograms-the-future-of-rock/

So say the reunion was going to happen this year instead of 2007 or that they did another show or whatever scenario you prefer. Would you rather see Led Zeppelin play with Jason Bonham on drums or a hologram of John Bonham.

Well it obviously means that he thinks Jason isn't good at improvising music. Duh! Oh, and apparently 2Pac want a hologram, just a projection.

The improvising issue is the same thought I had when this came up. Zeppelin plays in the now. They have an idea where they are going, but not a definite plan on how they are getting there. If they had to conform to a recorded drum track, the music would suffer greatly.

Now if they took the RAH performance though, and created projections of each band member and synched it to the performance, then it would work.

Well it obviously means that he thinks Jason isn't good at improvising music. Duh! Oh, and apparently 2Pac want a hologram, just a projection. The improvising issue is the same thought I had when this came up. Zeppelin plays in the now. They have an idea where they are going, but not a definite plan on how they are getting there. If they had to conform to a recorded drum track, the music would suffer greatly. Now if they took the RAH performance though, and created projections of each band member and synched it to the performance, then it would work.

IT WOULD WORK VERY BADLY

As much as I avoid computer generated music and most science fiction (No offense intended.), just imagine if someday somehow, computer code is written that would allow for John Bonham to be ~recreated in hologram/animatron form. It may not happen in any of our lifetimes (Unless medicine progresses such that we live much longer lives!), or it may never happen, but just think if it does, if artificial intelligence could progress so far, while not taking over the World! But, sadly and probably by the time, that/if it does happen, then Page, Plant and Jones would also need to have computer generated ~equals created as well. It's kind of cool to think that perhaps, someday, my great-great-...,grandchildren will be in a crowd, rocking out to some computer generated near-authentic LIVE Led Zeppelin.

OK, OK. Earth to Daniel, Earth to Daniel, come in Daniel are you still here? :unsure:

Well it obviously means that he thinks Jason isn't good at improvising music. Duh! Oh, and apparently 2Pac want a hologram, just a projection.

The improvising issue is the same thought I had when this came up. Zeppelin plays in the now. They have an idea where they are going, but not a definite plan on how they are getting there. If they had to conform to a recorded drum track, the music would suffer greatly.

Now if they took the RAH performance though, and created projections of each band member and synched it to the performance, then it would work.

I know what he meant PE3, but I want him to tell me his thoughts....I find it hard to believe that Jason Bonham is incapable of improvising on stage........

I can't imagine what the surviving members would feel playing live along with a hologram of a friend thirty years gone. That's creepy really.

In fact I'm pretty sure you could offer Robert Plant the American national debt as payment and he would refuse this outright.

My first reaction was that it's creepy as well. In the past we've had Natalie Cole singing along with her Dad on "Unforgettable", Hank Wiliams, Jr. singing along with his on "There's A Tear In My Beer", Johnny Van Zant trading vocals with Ronnie on "Travellin' Man" and more recently The Beach Boys incorporating footage of Carl and Dennis Wilson on their current tour where the surviving members play and sing along with them. Dr. Dre has wisely put the kibosh on the prospect of a full blown Tupac tour.

I thought having Jason playing a drum solo interspersed with the film clip of John playing "Moby Dick" from "The Song Remains the Same" at the O2 gig would have been cool. Jason starts it out and then stops as the stage goes black and we have a film clip of John playing it. Then cut the film, turn the stage lights on to have Jason come in live for a few minutes, then back to John on the screen behind him. Alternate between the two of them for about 10 minutes.

It eliminates the creepy hologram factor and would have been a cool tribute for John IMHO......

I thought having Jason playing a drum solo interspersed with the film clip of John playing "Moby Dick" from "The Song Remains the Same" at the O2 gig would have been cool. Jason starts it out and then stops as the stage goes black and we have a film clip of John playing it. Then cut the film, turn the stage lights on to have Jason come in live for a few minutes, then back to John on the screen behind him. Alternate between the two of them for about 10 minutes.

It eliminates the creepy hologram factor and would have been a cool tribute for John IMHO......

Nah, I don't think that would have worked...The O2 was their time to shine and pay tribute to Ahmed E. (that was the purpose of the gig)

Having done that with the drum solo would have been a little too........cheesy.

That show was not the time or place and I'm glad they didn't.

Well, everyone has an opinion. I just thought as many times as Jason pointed and looked toward the skies during the show, I thought him doding a tribute to his father would be very cool.

And I think Ahmet would have approved....

Well, everyone has an opinion. I just thought as many times as Jason pointed and looked toward the skies during the show, I thought him doding a tribute to his father would be very cool.

And I think Ahmet would have approved....

Sure ... That would have been cool. I'm sure nobody would have minded either.. But the night was a tribute to Ahmet.

Jason learning all his Father's drum parts and playing them as well as he did is a very nice and subtle tribute to his Father...

They also played a tight, no nonsense set.

Performing Ramble On, Good Times Bad Times and For Your Life, which were never or rarely played live by Led Zeppelin made it clear that it was all about the songs.. not about solos .. and jams.

Personally I'm in favor of keeping it real (I don't mean that in the way a rapper does). Holograms and videos and so forth I just don't like. I think Led Zeppelin did the coolest thing possible by getting John's son to play with them. I've been to concerts where they played video of a dead person singing or playing and they all sing or play along and it's actually very lame when you see it in person. When I see live music I don't want to hear a recording. If that's what I wanted I'd just go watch a Miley Cirus lip sink show. I don't think the Moby Dick idea above is terrible but I really think that adding a recording to a real live concert will cheapen it a little. Even though John Bonham was the greatest ever I prefer to let things go.

• 2 weeks later...

Queen songs on a potato chip commercial

CrazY Little Thing Called Love

Queen (and Bowie) song on a Google commercial . . . .

Under Pressure

Now this......

Freddie Mercury to 'appear' in Queen musical anniversary show

May 10, 2012, 6:59 PM EST

WENN

Late rocker Freddie Mercury will "appear" on stage during a special performance of West End musical "We Will Rock You" through an "optical illusion," according to Queen guitarist Brian May.

The show is nearing its 10th anniversary and bosses have been plotting ways to make the production memorable for fans -- and they want Mercury, who died in 1991, to be part of the celebration. May admits he was annoyed that a holographic projection of late rapper Tupac Shakur was used during Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg's set at last month's Coachella festival as the tribute they're planning will be a similar "optical illusion of sorts."

May tells the BBC, "People will come out saying, 'Did we actually see Freddie?' It's a little unfortunate they did that thing with Tupac as we've been trying to make Freddie appear on the stage for quite a while. (That technique) is something we've looked at ourselves, but I think probably for a show that runs eight shows a week, it's not really quite practical."

The special performance will take place on Monday, May 14, at London's Dominion Theatre -- and Robert De Niro, one of the show's producers, will be making an appearance. May adds, "There is a certain person who's coming that's intimately associated with getting the production on in the first place -- our friend Bob from Los Angeles. We call him Bob so we don't get too overcome with his stardom."

You left out American Idol. Queen is so sold out nowadays it's disgusting. The only way they could get worse is if they dug up Freddie Mercuries bones and sold them to Wal-Mart.

• 3 months later...

You left out American Idol. Queen is so sold out nowadays it's disgusting. The only way they could get worse is if they dug up Freddie Mercuries bones and sold them to Wal-Mart.

Not really, they just want to play live, the reason most people get into the music business is to create music AND play live - what is so bad about ensuring that the music lives on?

Not really, they just want to play live, the reason most people get into the music business is to create music AND play live - what is so bad about ensuring that the music lives on?

I agree to a point, but give your fans some credit..

"May / Taylor" would still sell shitloads of albums and they would still be playing in big concert halls.

Not Queen numbers .... but too bad... they have enough money.

They also don't have to put a song Freddie Mercury wrote on a Lays Potato Chip commercial.

Whether it's May, Taylor, Freddie's Manager or whoever behind this move ... it sucks.

This bothers me alot more than Brian May being on every amateur talent show in the world.

I feel the name "Queen" should have been retired after Made In Heaven.

They were too unique a band to throw some other flamboyant (and very good) singer up there and call it Queen.

That's another reason why Led Zeppelin and The Beatles are a cut above the rest.

We will never see Ringo and Paul going out as "The Beatles and Paul Rodgers"

I agree to a point, but give your fans some credit..

"May / Taylor" would still sell shitloads of albums and they would still be playing in big concert halls.

Not Queen numbers .... but too bad... they have enough money.

I'm not a fan of what Brian and Roger are doing with the Queen name. However, I would definitely love to see Roger and Brian out together performing the Queen numbers they wrote and sang, many of which haven't had an airing in years. Mixing these, with solo stuff they have done over the years would, imo, make a fantastic gig. Doubt if it will ever happen though :(

Archived